Page 46 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do you have REW or anything you can use to take a measurement on your own?

The problem with some of these room correction systems is the after is calculation and not an actual measurement.

That said, the "before" measurements actually look pretty good. Can you hear a difference before and after?
    Well with the app , I can fine tune the mains and cut them around the Schroeder frequency around 400hz. The app has some flexibility...plus this audyssey tutorial...I found very interesting....overall the sound is more centered...I've not tested any BRDs yet...just rediscovering my music media at this time.

https://youtu.be/g26gbFdAIxE
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Hi folks,
    Had an easy time with my upgrade for the V2 towers (with RAAL). I hope to put together a nice slide show, soon. So far, I think the speakers are living up to the positive descriptions of their sound improvements and I would like to review them, soon, on a forum.

In the meantime, I have a technical question for DAVE F. if he wouldn't mind.

In his introduction to this thread, he writes, "We lose a small bit of overall efficiency, but this is offset by presenting an easier impedance load to the amplifier, so the amp uses less current and as such, has more headroom available."

The graph which relates to this was posted here: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/at...1&d=1669977828

What I'm wondering is how this is an "easier impedance load to the amplifier"?

Back in 2013, Dave F. wrote about the Sierra (v1) Towers Efficiency/Impedance

"Minimum impedance is approximately 4.5 ohm, average impedance across the bandwidth of the speaker is ~8 ohm. Nominal impedance is ~6 ohms."

Source: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...dance-Variance

I am not an expert in these matters, but it seems that the V2 ELX version of the Ribbon Tower dips down to about 3 ohms from about 100 hz to 220 hz. The previous V1. only dipped down to 4.5 ohms. I cannot find a graph for the V1 tower.

QUESTIONS:
    First, could we get a graph for the V1 ribbon tower's impedance and phase to compare with the V2? Second, how is the V2 an "easier impedance load to the amplifier" if it dips lower than the V1.? I am sure there is an answer to this, perhaps even buried in this thread, but I am cannot figure it out.

Thank you so much, and Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by rguinoo12 View Post
    Well, I could not help myself but complete the left and right RAAL tower upgrade to ELX last night after I got off a12 hour shift. Install was a bit easier than the horizon, I completed the install and had the towers up and running just before midnight. I am absolutely blown away! Sound stage opened up, vocals are clearer, and the low end…wow! I thought my dual rythmik subs were on and had to double check that I was actually running in two channel only.

I am so pleased with the outcome of this upgrade! Thank you Dave and all the staff at Ascend Acoustics for providing us enthusiasts with yet another amazing, end game product!

Kind Regards,
    Ryan
    So happy you are enjoying them and thanks for trusting us on just how good the ELX are!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by hilde45 View Post
    Hi folks,
    Had an easy time with my upgrade for the V2 towers (with RAAL). I hope to put together a nice slide show, soon. So far, I think the speakers are living up to the positive descriptions of their sound improvements and I would like to review them, soon, on a forum.

In the meantime, I have a technical question for DAVE F. if he wouldn't mind.

In his introduction to this thread, he writes, "We lose a small bit of overall efficiency, but this is offset by presenting an easier impedance load to the amplifier, so the amp uses less current and as such, has more headroom available."

The graph which relates to this was posted here: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/at...1&d=1669977828

What I'm wondering is how this is an "easier impedance load to the amplifier"?

Back in 2013, Dave F. wrote about the Sierra (v1) Towers Efficiency/Impedance

"Minimum impedance is approximately 4.5 ohm, average impedance across the bandwidth of the speaker is ~8 ohm. Nominal impedance is ~6 ohms."

Source: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...dance-Variance

I am not an expert in these matters, but it seems that the V2 ELX version of the Ribbon Tower dips down to about 3 ohms from about 100 hz to 220 hz. The previous V1. only dipped down to 4.5 ohms. I cannot find a graph for the V1 tower.

QUESTIONS:
    First, could we get a graph for the V1 ribbon tower's impedance and phase to compare with the V2? Second, how is the V2 an "easier impedance load to the amplifier" if it dips lower than the V1.? I am sure there is an answer to this, perhaps even buried in this thread, but I am cannot figure it out.

Thank you so much, and Happy Easter to those who celebrate!
    Hi David,

Minimum impedance is not a gauge that can be used to determine how easy or difficult a speaker is to drive. One must examine the entire impedance profile in relation to phase.

In the case of the ELX, the minimum impedance is ~4 ohms, over the frequency range of ~100Hz – 300Hz. In this range, phase is fairly benign, ranging from -35 degs to + 15 degs.

With the original towers, minimum impedance was also ~ 4 ohms, but in the range of 30Hz-50Hz, as well as ~150Hz to 700Hz (much large frequency range). Phase gets close to 45 degs at about 4.8 ohms or so and this is somewhat difficult for an amplifier as a 45-degree phase shift will cause an amp to work twice as hard. That phase angle in combination with low impedance over a larger frequency range makes it a bit difficult for lesser amplifiers and/or receivers. Still not an overall difficult speaker to drive, but the ELX is an easier load, as is the V2 as well.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you, Dave for your answer to my question about why the new ELX is easier to drive (though V1 was not difficult).

To others, here is a NEW VIDEO of the process for me as I upgraded the speakers: https://youtu.be/FhrClRuHTxo

Anyone who wishes to share this video with anyone is welcome to do so. It is for informational/educational purposes only.

Nice video, hilde45
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thank you. I hope it's helpful. If anyone finds mistakes or sees things to improve, I'm open to editing it and reposting to youtube.

The URL changes when that happens, but if there's a major error or improvement, that's worth it, I think.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a couple of the tips posted here, particularly the painter's tape/screw for x-over and tools list (including the ratcheting 90 degree one). I don't recall if you had that included in the video.

Hope you don't mind, but I posted the link to your video on AVS

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/the...#post-62472423
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thank you! I will try to add in that detail about the tool, but since I was not doing the work, I need to ask my tech what he used.

And by all means, spread the video wherever it will do good. It's already up to 80 views.

Quote Originally Posted by hilde45 View Post
    Thank you, Dave for your answer to my question about why the new ELX is easier to drive (though V1 was not difficult).

To others, here is a NEW VIDEO of the process for me as I upgraded the speakers: https://youtu.be/FhrClRuHTxo

Anyone who wishes to share this video with anyone is welcome to do so. It is for informational/educational purposes only.
    Thank you for the video!
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H