Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Somewhere in the Boston area
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Be aware that the first-gen XMC-1 had a HDMI board non DHCP and HDR compatible. Emotiva now sell a new version with an upgraded board or you can have older unit upgraded by Emotiva. Cannot do that on your own.

    I have never owned or heard a system with one, but reviews and feedback by owners is overwhelmingly good.

    Emotiva had many choices for 7-ch amps, just have a look at their website, Other good value alternatives are Outlaw, Monoprice and ATI.

    Many people use a combination of separate amps for LR mains and the remaining channels, so, yes, nothing wrong with mix and match. A prevalent line of thought is that you want to have the L, R and C with the same type of amp and power and matched LCR speakers, to have a seamless audio "front". Not so critical if you care more about 2-ch music and HT is secondary.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Be aware that the first-gen XMC-1 had a HDMI board non DHCP and HDR compatible. Emotiva now sell a new version with an upgraded board or you can have older unit upgraded by Emotiva. Cannot do that on your own.
    You can upgrade the HDMI board by yourself, they said its like swapping a card in a PC, but the new Atmos board you can't do yourself, that one has to be sent in. You can still send it in for any of the upgrades if you don't want to do it yourself, but since I just bought a 1080p projector and have no interest in 4K or HDR, I doubt I'll be sending mine in for the upgrade any time soon.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

  3. #33

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Thanks!

    I've read about the add on board - some said it could be done without sending it in. I'm reasonably comfortable working inside electronic gizzards. But I might be confused because they seem to have sold more than one board upgrade.

    >> The new 2.0b board is due for release late Q1 2017.
    We will support self install if you are willing to accept liability for any screw ups...
    It's not that complicated if you are mechanically competent and careful.<<

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Somewhere in the Boston area
    Posts
    129

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Quote Originally Posted by sludgeogre View Post
    You can upgrade the HDMI board by yourself, they said its like swapping a card in a PC, but the new Atmos board you can't do yourself, that one has to be sent in. You can still send it in for any of the upgrades if you don't want to do it yourself, but since I just bought a 1080p projector and have no interest in 4K or HDR, I doubt I'll be sending mine in for the upgrade any time soon.
    Ooops, sorry for the involuntary bit of misinformation. I must have mixed up the HDMI upgrade with the Atmos upgrade. Thanks for setting me straight!

  5. #35

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    The HDMI board is for the encryption change or for 4K? Both's probably critical. But I don't think I care much about ATMOS though. Thx

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    The HDMI board is for the encryption change or for 4K? Both's probably critical. But I don't think I care much about ATMOS though. Thx
    The HDMI board is just for HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 support. It is already 2160/60 and 4k capable, has been since shortly after launch. It's just that the 1.4b ports were locked at 6 gbps instead of the 18 needed for 4k, and HDCP 2.2 support is needed for 4k players.

    The Atmos upgrade board is a separate board. It replaces the board that has the Zone 2 outputs on it for the 4 Atmos channels. It hasn't been released yet, but is due out very soon.
    -Alex
    PS4/Nvidia Shield --> Emotiva XMC-1 --> Emotiva XPA-5 --> Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers and Horizon Center w/ RAAL tweeters (L/C/R), HTM-200 SE (Surrounds), 2x Rythmik F12 subwoofers

  7. #37

    Default Re: AVR alternatives to marantz 5009?

    Thank you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •