Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Speaker for Wides with RAAL Tower?

Default Best Speaker for Wides with RAAL Tower?

I am planning on using the Towers and Horizon with RAAL for my from LCR. My side and rear surrounds will be 170se speakers.

My concern it trying to get a speaker for the frond Wide locations that is timber matched to the other front speakers but is not too large to wall mount.

Any suggestions?
    Steve

Default Re: Best Speaker for Wides with RAAL Tower?

Have you considered the Sierra-1 NrT or maybe the upcoming Sierra-2? Those could be mounted on the wall with the Pinpoint AM-40. For that matter, this mount may even be able to handle the Horizon oriented vertically.

As far as timbre matching, every one of Ascends speakers are timbre matched to one another. Given that, a typically ideal surround as you're wanting would be the HTM-200 SE. It's small enough and sealed, so wall mounting isn't an issue, and again, similar enough to where it won't just stand out acoustically.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    As far as timbre matching, every one of Ascends speakers are timbre matched to one another. Given that, a typically ideal surround as you're wanting would be the HTM-200 SE. It's small enough and sealed, so wall mounting isn't an issue, and again, similar enough to where it won't just stand out acoustically.

I was considering the 170s for the side and rear surrounds due to their better frequency response as I intend to use SACDs for this setup so better speakers for surrounds would seem to be prudent. Nothing against the 200s but I believe (have not heard any of these) the 170s would be my best bang for the buck.

The front wides don't have to be as good as the towers since they are essentially surround speakers but in the front. I have considered the Sierras but they don't come in matte black. If they did, I would most likely do them for the wides.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    I agree 100%... HTM's would be highly recommended.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

OK, color me confused....

The 170s also have a wall mount female thread so I assumed they could be wall mounted. How far out from the wall do they need to go to allow the port to "breathe"?

I am still wondering why everyone is suggesting the 200s instead of the 170s for multichannel audio and HT use. I would think the better speakers should be used as surround with the modern surround effects today as well as SACD full surround music.

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    The 170s also have a wall mount female thread so I assumed they could be wall mounted.
    They certainly can be, but their size and weight put a lot of stress on most mounts that screw into the threaded inserts. For instance, the OmniMount 20.0, though supposedly rated for 20 lbs, can just barely hold the 170SE up if you CRANK down until the metal parts literally bite into the plastic ball (some people need tools with more leverage to do this); otherwise, it may sag over time. To mount my 170SEs on the wall, I use the aforementioned Pinpoint AM-40 instead, which holds them easily and puts less stress on the wall; the AM-40 can also handle even much larger and heavier speakers. Its main drawback is that it is large and doesn't essentially disappear like the OmniMount 20.0 and some other mounts do.

How far out from the wall do they need to go to allow the port to "breathe"?
    About 3-4 inches is all that is necessary, especially since they will (I presume) be crossed over at 80 Hz. That's not a problem for either of the above mounts.

I am still wondering why everyone is suggesting the 200s instead of the 170s for multichannel audio and HT use.
    That's the usual suggestion because they're much smaller, which makes them easier to mount and integrate into one's decor, and they're capable enough to handle surround duties for just about everybody. In fact, I've found that the current SE version can be used as front speakers even in fairly sizable rooms without sacrificing much performance, which is ideal for those who prefer to use the smallest possible speakers even up front.

I would think the better speakers should be used as surround with the modern surround effects today as well as SACD full surround music.
    That's why I use the 170SE for my surrounds. But based on my experience and testing, I think I'd be pretty happy with the 200SE about 99% of the time. If it had been available at the time, I might have gone with the 200SE for surrounds, but I can't say that I regret going with the 170SE at all (and as a bonus, the latter is more efficient, which helps my poor AVR cope with my demands).
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Robert; 02-18-2013 at 07:57 PM.

My current thinking is go with the 200SEs for the side and rear surrounds. They will work better in my room due to have double doors at the rear of the room and the smaller speakers will be more out of the way of the doors and people movement.

I am still dwelling on the front wides...I think I am going to go with either a 170SE or a 340SE instead of the Sierra-1. I don't think there will be enough detailed information in that channel to warrant that good of a speaker at that location so I am looking for a smaller and less expensive alternative but one that will match the RAAL front at some level...again this is a front firing Wide channel so I am unsure what to expect from the content in that since I have never heard a system with them.

Thanks again for your replies.

What is the best way to mount the 200se or which wall mount to use with the 200se's? i would want them as close to the wall as I can get them.
    Thanks
    Allen

The closest you could get them I would think is to install them in wall, but that may also be unrealistic to do. A less demanding option is to install or use shelves to place them on, that way they can be flush against a wall.