Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning off EXBAC on 340SE center.

Default Turning off EXBAC on 340SE center.

I'm vertically mounting my 340SE behind an acoustically transparent screen. I want it to have the same crossover as my 340SE mains.

Looking at the crossover, (yeah, I opened the speaker up, it's out of warranty anyway, and I'll never resell these) there is a toggle switch on it that is pointing up. On the my mains, it's pointing down. I assume pointing down disables EXBAC, so that's what I did on my center before I vertically mounted it.

Just posting this up here for future reference, verification or comdenation.

You can see the crossover in the attached picture, with the toggle switch pointing down towards the bottom of the speaker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S_rangeBrew; 10-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: Turning off EXBAC on 340SE center.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew View Post
    I'm vertically mounting my 340SE behind an acoustically transparent screen. I want it to have the same crossover as my 340SE mains.

Looking at the crossover, (yeah, I opened the speaker up, it's out of warranty anyway, and I'll never resell these) there is a toggle switch on it that is pointing up. On the my mains, it's pointing down. I assume pointing down disables EXBAC, so that's what I did on my center before I vertically mounted it.

Just posting this up here for future reference, verification or comdenation.

You can see the crossover in the attached picture, with the toggle switch pointing down towards the bottom of the speaker.
    Brew, that is a good question, I look forward to some replies about the switch

NO NO NO That's the speaker self destruct switch!
    Jon O.

Probably best to call Ascend on this.

I am sure they do not want people opening up their 340's on their own without a word of caution.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Probably best to call Ascend on this.

I am sure they do not want people opening up their 340's on their own without a word of caution.
    Curtis,
    I spoke to Dave via email awhile back about the 340 center and different orientations, horizontal vrs. vertical and he assured me the EXBAC circuit could be disabled easily but did not give me the specifics as how I would go about doing so, as I write this I have a technical email sent to Dave addresdsing this EXBAC circuit and the switch's purpose for being there, I hope to have this issue resolved and to post for all who may be concerned.
    Jeff

I guess my question is "what is the issue and what needs resolving?"

Posting stuff like this can become a big support/warranty issue. If people call/email in and ask, it is easier for Ascend to track and support.
    Last edited by curtis; 10-25-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    -curtis

I guess my question is "what is the issue and what needs resolving?"
    Curtis, I'm sorry if I came off as though there was an issue or that I needed anything resolved, I don't. I would just like to know my options concerning the EXBAC. I have a few different center channel placement options and was only thinking how the EXBAC would affect these different locations. I can locate the center horiz. on and above the TV, horiz. on stand in front of the TV or vertically on stand in front of TV firing the drivers upward. There was no malicious intent, only options that would be best suited for the center channel orientation with or without the EXBAC being engaged.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Curtis, I'm sorry if I came off as though there was an issue or that I needed anything resolved, I don't. I would just like to know my options concerning the EXBAC. I have a few different center channel placement options and was only thinking how the EXBAC would affect these different locations. I can locate the center horiz. on and above the TV, horiz. on stand in front of the TV or vertically on stand in front of TV firing the drivers upward. There was no malicious intent, only options that would be best suited for the center channel orientation with or without the EXBAC being engaged.
    Jeff
    I completely understand.

It's just that if this was meant to be a user option, I am sure Dave would have posted about it, or even include it on the speaker's description page.

Giving people carte blanche to open up the speakers to change configurations, and not being able to track it, is not a good support practice.
    -curtis

I completely understand.

It's just that if this was meant to be a user option, I am sure Dave would have posted about it, or even include it on the speaker's description page.

Giving people carte blanche to open up the speakers to change configurations, and not being able to track it, is not a good support practice.
    Curtis, I completely understand about opening speakers and changing configurations, I just got a little off the subject and I am not suggesting that I would go into the speakers until I consulted Dave with my intentions, I will speak with him prior to placing my order and hopefully he will advise as to getting three identical 340's or a center with the EXBAC. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part, I was out of order, thank you for the heads up.
    Jeff

I am just wondering if posting this kind of info is in Ascend's best interest.

If not, I suppose Dave can just delete it.
    -curtis