Page 93 of 271 FirstFirst ... 8889909192939495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Die cast baskets are stiffer/stronger than stamped baskets, and much less prone to making noise/ringing. It is not for cosmetic reasons. Ask that same question on an open forum, and you will get the same answer.

You'd be better off, IMO, with 340SE's and a subwoofer than the M60's...let alone the Sierra Tower.
    Thanks. I wish Ascend Acoustics would release the matching center W(t/m)W soon as I think it would make for a killer setup.

Quote Originally Posted by JBALL View Post
    Thanks. I wish Ascend Acoustics would release the matching center W(t/m)W soon as I think it would make for a killer setup.
    They already have, and it is KILLER. Called the Sierra Tower Center, and given the unofficial name the Horizon.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=4914

In addition to the stamp steel vs die cast aluminum question...

"For all the reasons mentioned aluminum, cast and then machined, is the best option. Stamped baskets can not be machined and tolorence can be held to no better than .010 in most cases. This may not seem like much, however, in the scheme of things tighter tolorences equal more precise alignment of all the motor assembly components. "
    Last edited by curtis; 03-21-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    -curtis

"For all the reasons mentioned aluminum, cast and then machined, is the best option. Stamped baskets can not be machined and tolorence can be held to no better than .010 in most cases. This may not seem like much, however, in the scheme of things tighter tolorences equal more precise alignment of all the motor assembly components. "
    I noticed the quotation marks; can you provide a link to the source? This sounds like something Dave would say, although it doesn't show up in a forum search.

Not doubting it as it makes complete sense; however, I'm interested in reading the additional information.

@ JBALL - welcome to the forums.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I noticed the quotation marks; can you provide a link to the source? This sounds like something Dave would say, although it doesn't show up in a forum search.

Not doubting it as it makes complete sense; however, I'm interested in reading the additional information.

@ JBALL - welcome to the forums.
    thanks this seems like a nice place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Sorry, forgot the link...from another forum....

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index....ic,2021.0.html

A good discussion...in addition to tolerances, talk about magnetic fields, and heat dissipation as well.
    -curtis

Sorry, forgot the link...from another forum....

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index....ic,2021.0.html

A good discussion...in addition to tolerances, talk about magnetic fields, and heat dissipation as well.
    Thank you, curtis!

That is a very informative thread. I saved it directly into Bookmarks for future reference. The discussion points about magnetic fields and heat dissipation characteristics were especially fascinating. It's just one reason I love this hobby: the endless technical requirements and attention to detail.

Now for the pop quiz: what is the specific heat of aluminum? Of steel? Of iron?
    -Jacob

Hey...JBALL...welcome to the darkside... . I had another Axiom member over the other day to audition the Towers he immediately heard the difference and complemented how good the Towers sounded...compared to his grand master set up which uses the m22's as mains. Sure its not a fair comparison but the difference was not even "remotely close" his words..

We really gotta lay off those guys over there...

Regards, Bill...

Dave,
    Looking for a track you would like to see demo'd on the Sierra Towers? As you probably have read, the WI boys and I are holding another GTG on 4/14 and we thought it would be cool to have each speaker designer recommend a track to show off their product.

Jim salk and Dennis Murphy will be providing one as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Dave,
    Looking for a track you would like to see demo'd on the Sierra Towers? As you probably have read, the WI boys and I are holding another GTG on 4/14 and we thought it would be cool to have each speaker designer recommend a track to show off their product.

Jim salk and Dennis Murphy will be providing one as well.

Thanks!
    What if he choses the BEP...boom boom pow.....

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    What if he choses the BEP...boom boom pow.....
    Its quite possible the host will kick me out