Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Here is the website...It doesnt mention the 70-20XR, rather the other RAAL Tweeter the 70-10

http://www.audioexcite.com/?p=2640

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    Here is the website...It doesnt mention the 70-20XR, rather the other RAAL Tweeter the 70-10

I forgot to post this earlier, but the article doesn't say "much higher harmonic distortion than even cheap dome tweeters".

This is what the author wrote:

"The distortion figures isn’t up to the very best dome tweeter’s performance e.g. ScanSpeak D3004/664000 Beryllium tweeter, but for a ribbon tweeter still a respectable performance."
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post

Thanks for sharing!

Interesting article and I would say the measurements look realistic. I too don't see anything mentioned that the RAAL tweeters have much higher distortion than a cheap dome. The ScanSpeak dome being used for the comparison is $510/each. In addition, the RAAL tweeter being evaluated is the 140-15D. Still, when you properly compare the distortion measurements in this summary and discard the information below 3kHz (no high pass filter was used), the 3rd order harmonic distortion between the two tweeters is nearly identical while 2nd order hd for the RAAL is considerably lower.

In a real world environment, with the tweeter being used with an appropriate crossover -- I really can't say which tweeter has lower distortion -- it is just too close to call. I agree with the author of this article, this is indeed impressive for a ribbon tweeter.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the interpretation Dave... It is so refreshing to see an owner of a company that is seemingly unbiased in his evaluation of other's products!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

Interesting article and I would say the measurements look realistic. I too don't see anything mentioned that the RAAL tweeters have much higher distortion than a cheap dome. The ScanSpeak dome being used for the comparison is $510/each. In addition, the RAAL tweeter being evaluated is the 140-15D. Still, when you properly compare the distortion measurements in this summary and discard the information below 3kHz (no high pass filter was used), the 3rd order harmonic distortion between the two tweeters is nearly identical while 2nd order hd for the RAAL is considerably lower.

In a real world environment, with the tweeter being used with an appropriate crossover -- I really can't say which tweeter has lower distortion -- it is just too close to call. I agree with the author of this article, this is indeed impressive for a ribbon tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    How much toe in is everyone using with their towers?
    I haven't used any at all. I've not noticed any problems with imaging during movie soundtracks or stereo music.

Anyone with Towers in Central Ohio that is willing to give a demo? I can bring my REW setup for measurements if you want.
    Last edited by natetg57; 09-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.
    Nate

I have a question about a change in the Tower cabinet. I recently ordered a second set of Towers, and they have a line around where the front baffle attaches. My earlier set does not have this line, so naturally I'm curious as to what has changed, and why?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I have a question about a change in the Tower cabinet. I recently ordered a second set of Towers, and they have a line around where the front baffle attaches. My earlier set does not have this line, so naturally I'm curious as to what has changed, and why?

Jay
    Hi Jay,

By line around the front baffle, I assume you mean the reveal.

Several cabinet runs ago we changed the front baffle joinery from 45 degree miter joints to a double rabbet. We made this change when our cabinet maker acquired a more capable CNC router. This is a more complex joint and is also significantly stronger. Since this joint moves the reveal back from the edge where the corners meet to ~ 1/2 the thickness of the front baffle, we agreed to highlight the reveal as it breaks up the monolithic look of the tower. I find it quite nice.

Attached is a drawing I made a while back showing the difference..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Jay,

Several cabinet runs ago we changed the front baffle joinery from 45 degree miter joints to a double rabbet. We made this change when our cabinet maker acquired a more capable CNC router. This is a more complex joint and is also significantly stronger. Since this joint moves the reveal back from the edge where the corners meet to ~ 1/2 the thickness of the front baffle, we agreed to highlight the reveal as it breaks up the monolithic look of the tower. I find it quite nice.

Thank you for the drawing, and explanation. I like it, as if it wasn't already way stout, now it's even more so. Typical Ascend, making great even better.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Not even sure where on the Towers this is located, lol. Maybe it is invisible on the piano black version?