Page 7 of 223 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 2227

Thread: The Tower Discussion Thread!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,263

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    That is so strange.....almost a 10dB difference is some areas.
    -curtis

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    243

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Congratulations Brandon...
    I had a similar in room response as well with my Sierra (Room treatment is not an option for me.) The picture of the graph posted along with your speaker is really flat though. Along with Towers, I'm waiting for Outlaw 978 to overcome these issues caused by the room.

    You mentioned that the Towers are in another league compared to classic Sierra. How do they compare against NRT for mids? I expect the highs to be very comparable.

    Enjoy the speakers :-)

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That is so strange.....almost a 10dB difference is some areas.
    Im not really sure why that is. Both the 2100 and Yamaha were calibrated to 74db on my SPL meter before I did the sweeps.....hmmm. Could it be how each piece handles the info below the crossover point?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    Congratulations Brandon...
    I had a similar in room response as well with my Sierra (Room treatment is not an option for me.) The picture of the graph posted along with your speaker is really flat though. Along with Towers, I'm waiting for Outlaw 978 to overcome these issues caused by the room.

    You mentioned that the Towers are in another league compared to classic Sierra. How do they compare against NRT for mids? I expect the highs to be very comparable.

    Enjoy the speakers :-)
    Thanks Sam! I have just the three room treatments, all the wife would allow for now Not sure if they did much good or not, I have not measured without them yet. The high frequencies cannot be measured through my current SPL meter anyway.

    The towers were worth the wait! I only had upgraded one sierra to the Nrt (center one) so comparing is not very ideal. The highs are very similar being the same tweeter, which I very much enjoy. To me so far, the male vocal range and drum type instruments sound fuller on the Towers. The mid range region has more weight to it, more realistic versus the sierra-1 Nrt.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,263

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Im not really sure why that is. Both the 2100 and Yamaha were calibrated to 74db on my SPL meter before I did the sweeps.....hmmm. Could it be how each piece handles the info below the crossover point?
    No crossover should be set because the speakers are running full range.

    It is very strange.
    -curtis

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Dave,

    Which standard finish option (or options) qualifies for the introductory price of $1898/pair? Do you have a sample of some sort showing the three black options mentioned in post 26?

    Does one have to be on a preorder list to qualify for the introductory price, or will the price apply for a limited time after the towers are offered for sale on your website?

    Will the towers come with spiked feet and/or other options do make them secure on carpet?

    Will the q-plugs for the Sierra-1 also fit the towers’ ports?

    I have two Emotiva UPA-1 mono-block amplifiers each rated 350 watts RMS x 1 into 4 ohms. From your comments on the towers’ power handling it would seem I am safe to use the mono-blocks with the towers.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    No crossover should be set because the speakers are running full range.

    It is very strange.
    But not through the Yamaha, its crossed over at 60hz. Does that explain it?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Allen,
    I can comment on one of your questions, mine came with spikes but I chose not to use them so I can slide them around. I would call ascend and be placed on their preorder list, I imagine its growing every day I am sure any high powered amp is fine with the towers, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it better to feed them more power then too little and risk clipping the amp and blowing a driver?

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    6,263

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    But not through the Yamaha, its crossed over at 60hz. Does that explain it?
    Yeah...

    Run them both no sub, no cross, full range.
    -curtis

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    570

    Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Yeah...

    Run them both no sub, no cross, full range.
    I figured. I put all the measuring equipment away and the wifes relaxing, no more annoying sweeps today

    I had chosen to cross over the yamaha at 60hz running them small vs large for movies of course, should I disregard that idea and run the towers full range for movies as well? I was always under the impression with the low bass of modern soundtracks, running the front speakers this way may cause issues?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •