Page 39 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Agd View Post
    I will say one added benefit to ribbon in the bed layer for an atmos setup is there is a very clear separation from the height channel, so things transition in space clearly rather than them muddling together like when I used dome tweeter surrounds.
    The way I read that statement it seems you are saying the transitions are not seamless with the ribbons in the height channel??
    -curtis

Apologies, the opposite actually, it's a very seamless transition. Prior to having a ribbon-only bed layer I was actually disappointed by some atmos content because the height layer sounded similar to other surround content.

It was when I upgraded to all ribbons that give me the clear distinction, and clarity in the handoff between the two.

With this setup using the dtsx app on the Xbox you can control an audio pin and move it all around and above you, it's actually remarkable how the sound can hover in space and rise up and down clearly-- you could close your eyes and point at it. With dome tweeters they project sound vertically, and the effect wasn't nearly as focused. The ribbons can get out of the way and let the ceiling speakers take over.

All of that said, I have 8ft ceilings so that may be a factor. And if I didn't have ceiling speakers with atmos I may appreciate more elevation to the sound for movie tracks. Having experienced both it's personally hard to imagine going back to non-ribbon home theater.

Thanks for putting mine in front like that Dave! You didn’t have to, I guess that extra $100 I sent Dina paid off!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    First of many production lines of assembled LX waiting to be tested...

Attachment 2353

Tracking number received

Same here tracking # received. I'm having second thoughts...

...on the color. That line looks so sweet I want them in the other colors offered.

Only one pair of natural bamboo, I'm hoping those are mine .

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    First of many production lines of assembled LX waiting to be tested...
    Well that is straight gorgeous.

I don’t have a tracking number yet but I’m sure it’ll be soon. Looking forward to it.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Tracking number received also!
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Got a tracking number yesterday!!!

I've heard "patience is a virtue" on more than one occasion, I'm more in the camp of "time waits for no man". Are those two themes mutually exclusive? Too philosophical for my tastes!

I sure am glad the LXs are coming sooner rather than later. I'm also glad that Dave developed these in total secrecy, imagine how long the wait would have been if we'd been clued in since inception.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Agd View Post
    Purifi 1ET400 build from audiophonics with this sure would sound sweet, around 200w at 8ohms. Although I'm still curious for more listening impressions, I'm personally in the camp that I prefer limited vertical dispersion.

There was discussion (here I think?) that theorized wide horizontal dispersion and narrow vertical produced a higher listener preference, with the tradeoff being less flexibility in listening area. I'm partial to this in my space that has ceiling speakers for my height channel so I get the best of both in movie tracks, but narrow vertical in music.

When listening around the house, in other rooms, etc I switch to a traditional dome tower I built, and it sounds better in this situation.

From the listening sessions so far it seems the dome tweeter is more immersive with a higher listener preference than the ribbon. Interested to see how this plays out with more listeners, and maybe it's music dependant.

I will say one added benefit to ribbon in the bed layer for an atmos setup is there is a very clear separation from the height channel, so things transition in space clearly rather than them muddling together like when I used dome tweeter surrounds.
    You might be able to rotate the speaker or tweeter so that the wide dispersion pattern is aimed towards the main listening position. The speaker is still aimed directly down, but the good off axis orientation of the tweeter is aimed towards you. This means that other off axis seats might suffer a little bit sound wise, but you might have a more immersive overhead experience.