Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Logictech Harmony - nothing but problems

Default Replacing Logictech Harmony - nothing but problems

I know there are a few Anthem owners here. And a lot of people are probably frustrated with their Logitec Harmony remotes. I have the following setup:

LG 65C8 TV
    Anthem MRX 740
    Apple TV
    Spectrum Cablebox
    Sierra S2EX, Luna Duo, Orb surrounds.
    Harmony Remote

All I do is switch between 3 activities: Watch Cable, Watch AppleTV, listen to Music.

Presently I route all the connections through the Anthem and it's the master switcher. The TV only has one video input from the Anthem. I use the logitec IR extenders and have them near the components.

But the results are fairly erratic. There's always something that doesn't turn on or switch inputs correctly and then I need to find a remote or use the Anthem App to fix it. If I'm not home, I get a call from my wife when she can't watch TV.

Is there another way to do this and perhaps use the TV as the master switcher? I'd upgrade the Anthem to the newer model if that helped.

Thx!

Default Re: Replacing Logictech Harmony - nothing but problems

Which Harmony do you have?

I use the Harmony Ultimate with the Harmony hub. No IR extenders, and it works great!

Anthem AVM 60
    I had an LG 65C7, but now a Vizio 65" P-series (sad story...I miss the OLED, and thinking about getting another)
    Apple TV
    Oppo 205

Everything runs through the Anthem. It all sits in an open console, the TV is wall mounted. The Logitech hub sits on top of the console.

It works great and I am sad that Logitech is out of the remote business. I can even turn the system on/off, and switch between activities with Alexa.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-16-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    -curtis

I have a Harmony 650, no IR extenders, and it works ok. I find it sensitive to how it is pointed at my system. If it doesn't set everything the first time correctly, there is the help button which runs through activity steps to help fix. My activities appear to be more complicated than yours, as I have more than sources, TV, AVM70 involved in most (e.g. miniDSP where I switch presets depending on activity).

Is your wife trying to watch tv in surround or just using the tv speaker? If only the TV, why not set the Anthem HDMI standby to the cable box...don't even need to turn on the 740...and program an activity on the Harmony to watch TV only (eg not in surround). I do something similar - one activity for over the air TV (I dropped cable years ago), one for Roku-TV (to stream just using the TV speakers), and one for Roku-TV-AVM70 (surround).
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I have the smaller Harmony - the one without the screen or the help mode. When I need the help mode I use my iphone.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EgR6x1CLvkXKasEn6

And I believe I have a recent version of the hub. I replaced it at some point when it complained that it could no longer accept firmware upgrades.

Maybe I need to revisit the activity scripts. Or just delete them all and start over. Because at one point switching inputs for the Anthem involved automating the Input menu with up/down button presses. Then at some point, the Inputs started showing up as direct options, which works better.

My wife wants to watch tv or apple tv. The only activity she doesn't use is listening to music.

I didn't know about standby mode going through the anthem. I guess that's how sometimes when the anthem doesn't turn on (which is one of the problems that occasionally happens) I still get Cable TV but through the TV's speakers. I guess I could make use of that function and setup an activity for it, but she also watches the Apple TV.

Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I have the smaller Harmony - the one without the screen or the help mode. When I need the help mode I use my iphone.

https://images.app.goo.gl/EgR6x1CLvkXKasEn6

And I believe I have a recent version of the hub. I replaced it at some point when it complained that it could no longer accept firmware upgrades.

Maybe I need to revisit the activity scripts. Or just delete them all and start over. Because at one point switching inputs for the Anthem involved automating the Input menu with up/down button presses. Then at some point, the Inputs started showing up as direct options, which works better.

My wife wants to watch tv or apple tv. The only activity she doesn't use is listening to music.

I didn't know about standby mode going through the anthem. I guess that's how sometimes when the anthem doesn't turn on (which is one of the problems that occasionally happens) I still get Cable TV but through the TV's speakers. I guess I could make use of that function and setup an activity for it, but she also watches the Apple TV.

Thx!
    Oh...I have that remote too since it doesn't need to sit on a charger, and I use it most of the time. I think it is the Companion.

My hub is pretty old, I am not even sure the last time it got a firmware update.

I know the Anthem has the option to be controlled via TCP/IP, I think I have that enabled. To be honest, I don't know if it is currently controlled via TCP/IP or IR. The hub is supposedly able to send commands via TCP/IP. and my Anthem is connected to home network.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-16-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    -curtis

Now that I think about it, the Companion remote doesn't have an IR emitter.

I know the Logitech hub sends out IR. Where does your hub sit in relation to your equipment?

Mine sits on the top of the console, no direct line of site to any equipment other than the Apple TV, which doesn't do IR. I would imagine the hub blasts IR out in all directions and if my equipment is being controlled by IR, it is getting a reflection. I should cover it and see if I can control equipment.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-16-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    -curtis

OK...I just covered up my hub with a towel.

I can still control everything with the Companion remote, and the Harmony app on my iPhone(we know that doesn't have IR).

I should have remembered that can control everything from other rooms.
    -curtis

Bingleberry,

I just did some testing.

On your Anthem, under General Settings, check to see if you have TCP/IP control on.

I turned mine off, and I could no longer control my Anthem with the hub covered.

You may have to power cycle your Anthem a couple of times before the setting works.
    -curtis

Blingleberry - see section 5.6 (Preferences) of the manual for info on Standby HDMI Bypass. Pg 48 and 51. This could help with at least one of your sources.

Starting over on the remote programming might help. With my Harmony (650), I've always had direct inputs. In the MyHarmony software, Input 1 = 1st defined input in the Anthem, Input 2 = 2nd defined input, etc. but you probably know this.

I was lucky enough to buy a spare remote (at normal price) when I heard Logitech was exiting the business.

I've also got my eye on the following as a future replacement. It's not exactly cheap, though.
    https://www.unfoldedcircle.com/remote-two
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks Gents! I will try the TCP control setting (SHould be on or off?!)

As for the IR, I have two little logitech harmony IR extenders, that plug into the hub, inside my cabinet. All the equip except the TV is inside a salamander type cab.

One extender sits near the front of the Anthem which is on the right. The other is near the back of the TV which is on top of the cabinet. And the Hamony hub is inside the left part of the cabinet near the cable box. So all 3 areas should be getting strong IR. ALthough

As I understand it my logitech remote talks to the hub non-infrared - ie there's no need for line of site.