Thread: ELX tower vs Sierra Tower V2

Default ELX tower vs Sierra Tower V2

Weighing my options here, looking at the ELX tower/center vs Sierra V2 tower/center for front stage watching movies. I would most likely order both with RAAL ribbon.

Question, does the ELX sound superior to the Sierra V2 or is mostly about increased output? My listening space is 13’ wide, 9’ high and listening distance approximately 10’ so I don’t think I need increased output but if there’s a significant difference in audio quality and I’m going to live with them for the next 5-10 years the cost difference isn’t significant.

Default Re: ELX tower vs Sierra Tower V2

Superior sound.
    When I was weighing the two options to upgrade my v1 Towers/Horizon with RAAL, researching on the forum and communicating with Dave made the ELX a no brainer. Plus, I eliminated FOMO :-)
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Do you use a subwoofer (or two)? The ELX towers appear to have deeper bass extension than the standard towers. They probably also sound better (lower distortion) and can play louder (less woofer compression at high levels).

I do use subs, currently dual SVS SB3000’s and I just got the Denon 3800. Planning on running it for about 6 months to make sure it doesn’t have issues before getting Dirac DLBC multi sub. I may add 2 more SB-3000’s or upgrade.

I’m not too worried if it’s simply more/better bass out of the ELX. Just wondering if there’s a significant difference in audio quality between the two. Something you could easily identify in a double blind volume matched blind test. Or is it very minor difference that you would soon forget

That's tough to answer. Without subs, I'd say the deeper bass of the ELX is important. In a big room, playing at loud levels, I'd say the output capabilities of the ELX make them worth it.

But in a small to medium room, with subs, and at not-ear-bleeding levels, it's a tough decision.

One person's "big difference in sound" can be another person's "very subtle difference in sound."

Ideally you could visit Ascend and hear both for yourself.

Short of that, maybe Dave can give the best advice here.

I've not heard the v2 but ELX vs v1 also a noticeable improvement in the midrange. My assumption is this is due to the EX driver + crossover. Whether or not the v2 crossover only makes as much of a difference vs v1 only Dave (or others who've gone from v1 to v2) can comment.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
    Weighing my options here, looking at the ELX tower/center vs Sierra V2 tower/center for front stage watching movies. I would most likely order both with RAAL ribbon.

Question, does the ELX sound superior to the Sierra V2 or is mostly about increased output? My listening space is 13’ wide, 9’ high and listening distance approximately 10’ so I don’t think I need increased output but if there’s a significant difference in audio quality and I’m going to live with them for the next 5-10 years the cost difference isn’t significant.
    Compared to the V2 tower, there is much more to the ELX tower than just the bass extension and greater output capabilities. First off, the ELX provides significantly punchier midbass, with much lower distortion. This is in the frequency range of 200Hz up to ~ 600Hz. This range of frequencies will not be produced by any subwoofer.

In addition, the ELX has a much higher performance midbass/midrange driver - this is what we call our EX driver. Midrange frequencies are cleaner, warmer, smoother, and have greater detail in comparison to the V2. I like to use the term "Lush", they are just extremely natural sounding and very easy to listen to.

Our ELX are true endgame speakers, and if they are within your budget - I strongly recommend them.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

If the ELX is in your budget, personally there is no reason to even consider the V2. The ELX is better overall and that should be enough to sway you that way. You won’t regret it! I use my ELX everyday and they blow me away every single time!

n/m
    Last edited by Beave; 09-09-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Well dangit, a local deal came up that I couldn’t pass on. Picked up Revel F228be pair and F426be center for $5k. I really wanted the ELX’s but saving over $3k for the Revels was a deal I couldn’t pass on. Maybe when I move into a new place and need a second system I’ll be back