Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 626364656667

Thread: What are you listening to? (Music)

Default Re: What are you listening to? (Music)

Been listening to Jeffrey Foucault's new release The Universal Fire. He writes like a folky acoustic singer-songwriter, but has more of an electric Americana sound with lots of blues and country influence. The title track is about the fire at Universal Studios in 2008 where it came out later that a ton of important master tapes were lost. It and the rest of the album were also written while processing the death of his longtime friend and drummer Billy Conway.

Another standout from his catalog is the Live In Portland 11/5/15 album.

I wish Gilmour was touring more extensively than just New York and L.A. Oh well.

Speaking of tours and guys who are 78 years old, I'm really psyched for the "BEAT" tour, which will be Adrian Belew and Tony Levin touring the 80s King Crimson material (the albums Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair). The Robert Fripp parts will be handled by Steve Vai and rather than Bill Bruford on drums, it'll be Tool's Danny Carey. (Levin, my personal bass deity, is the one who's 78, though Adrian Belew isn't that far behind.)

In preparation for that show (they'll be in Houston on Sept. 21st) I've had those three albums on shuffle lately, such great stuff. Discipline in particular is a masterpiece.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT1; Sierra-LXs in study; S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom; S-1 NrTs in dining room; S-1s at work; HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I wish Gilmour was touring more extensively than just New York and L.A. Oh well.

Speaking of tours and guys who are 78 years old, I'm really psyched for the "BEAT" tour, which will be Adrian Belew and Tony Levin touring the 80s King Crimson material (the albums Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair). The Robert Fripp parts will be handled by Steve Vai and rather than Bill Bruford on drums, it'll be Tool's Danny Carey. (Levin, my personal bass deity, is the one who's 78, though Adrian Belew isn't that far behind.)

In preparation for that show (they'll be in Houston on Sept. 21st) I've had those three albums on shuffle lately, such great stuff. Discipline in particular is a masterpiece.
    I 100% agree that this is going to be an incredible show. They are hitting a venue very close to me this Sunday. Unfortunately - the timing didn't work for me.

I do, however, have tickets to see the Eagles at the Sphere in LV and I expect that to be incredible. The Sphere has a fantastic sound system.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I 100% agree that this is going to be an incredible show. They are hitting a venue very close to me this Sunday. Unfortunately - the timing didn't work for me.
    What a bummer.

For something completely different, I've also been listening to a lot of Michael Manring lately. I get that solo bass stuff is not everyone's cup of tea, but he recently did an album with guitarist Tony Kaltenberg and percussionist Jarrod Kaplan under the name Acoustic Groove Experience and it's great stuff, very accessible. The album is called Thread of Joy, should be available on all the usual streaming services.

The live show that got recorded is also great, that's on YouTube. My favorite track from that is their only piece that's a cover, but what a cover:
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT1; Sierra-LXs in study; S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom; S-1 NrTs in dining room; S-1s at work; HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.