Thread: How much "Bigger" do ELX towers sound compared to the Sierra LX?

Default How much "Bigger" do ELX towers sound compared to the Sierra LX?

I have a set of Sierra LX--they are the best speakers I have owned. They do pretty much everything well, but I have a moderate sized open plan room, with very high sloping ceilings, and I have gobs and gobs of clean power (McIntosh MC452), and I can't help but think about how a set of ELX towers would sound. For those who have compared the two - just how much "bigger" does the ELX tower sound? Is it more of the same, just a little louder and clearer? Or is it a bigger sound stage, bigger depth, more bass, better highs, just an overall step up all around? Thanks for any advice people have!

Default Re: How much "Bigger" do ELX towers sound compared to the Sierra LX?

Quote Originally Posted by reforminded View Post
    I have a set of Sierra LX--they are the best speakers I have owned. They do pretty much everything well, but I have a moderate sized open plan room, with very high sloping ceilings, and I have gobs and gobs of clean power (McIntosh MC452), and I can't help but think about how a set of ELX towers would sound. For those who have compared the two - just how much "bigger" does the ELX tower sound? Is it more of the same, just a little louder and clearer? Or is it a bigger sound stage, bigger depth, more bass, better highs, just an overall step up all around? Thanks for any advice people have!
    I upgraded from LX to ELX towers. Before that I had EXv1. I think that the LX sound a little bigger than the ELX Raal towers in the sense that more sound is thrown upwards, but the towers have more detailed mids and highs and a very wide soundstage. The LX might sound a tiny bit better with hard rock like Audioslave but almost everything else is better to me with the ELX. I'm using subs so the added bass of the ELX isn't a huge difference but I was able to lower my crossover to 60hz. I really liked the midrange and mid-bass of the LX but missed the detail from the EX ribbon tweeters. The ELX are the no-compromise solution for me.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I upgraded from LX to ELX towers. Before that I had EXv1. I think that the LX sound a little bigger than the ELX Raal towers in the sense that more sound is thrown upwards, but the towers have more detailed mids and highs and a very wide soundstage. The LX might sound a tiny bit better with hard rock like Audioslave but almost everything else is better to me with the ELX. I'm using subs so the added bass of the ELX isn't a huge difference but I was able to lower my crossover to 60hz. I really liked the midrange and mid-bass of the LX but missed the detail from the EX ribbon tweeters. The ELX are the no-compromise solution for me.
    Thanks! I should have mentioned I do not have subs nor have the space for subs.

I have both the LX and ELX RAAL Towers (started life as the v1 RAAL Towers). Currently have the LX in my office and Towers in my main system. I did put the LXs in my main system for a week or two when I first got them.

The LX are definitely incredible speakers. The bass, as you know, is surprisingly good considering the size. The Titan tweeter is no slouch either. I could probably live with those as my main speakers (in fact, I did buy them to take to our vacation house in Brazil but still haven't got around to that - much easier to get on the plane than the Towers :-)).

That said, the Towers are overall the better speaker, IMO. Particularly in the mids (as nate mentioned) and highs -- I prefer the RAAL to the TITAN, even with rock/metal which is what I primarily listen to. The Towers are more efficient, as well, so less power needed at equal volume (so more headroom).

Are you close to Ascend? If so, see about arranging a demo. Otherwise, I guess you could always order a pair and return them within 30 days if you don't find them a step up..my bet is you'll keep them.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by reforminded View Post
    We have had many dozens of customers upgrade from LX to ELX, and from what I recall - all have been extremely happy. The LX is easily one of the most well rounded and highest performance bookshelf speakers available at any price, but with the ELX - that "want" for something better is fully realized and satisfied. ELX are true endgame products. Every performance category going from LX to ELX (especially with the ribbon ugprade) is audibly superior.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com