Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sierra 2 tweeter damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Eek! "Appears to be torn" is an understatement! My stomach sank for you when I saw the title.

Give them a call. Things are a little upside down over there right now and Dina has been a little slow getting back to me, but was absolutely willing to work with me and I'm sure you guys can get a resolution figured out. Too bad the EX kits don't include a tweeter too. You could not only fix, but upgrade them too.

Just brace yourself. Those tweeters ain't cheap! This is a positive case of you get what you pay for tho. Best sounding tweeters I've heard.
    Thats what sucks. The money spent on replacing the tweeters could have been spent for the EX upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Thats what sucks. The money spent on replacing the tweeters could have been spent for the EX upgrade.
    Is the protective screen in the slot nice and tight still or is it loose or warped in any way? That would indicate the magnet might have grabbed onto something metal and pulled it into the ribbon element. Those magnets are extremely powerful. I know. I tried to measure my towers from the front with a tape measure and it sucked the tape right into the screen. I 'bout shit myself...

That's both speakers with the tweeters damaged not just one! We only took a pic of the one. Yeah, it's only speculation as to how they got that way. Like I said the rest of the speakers are in mint condition.

My guess is amplifier clipping.

Looks almost like the one I blew due to amplifier clipping. Pic attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    Is the protective screen in the slot nice and tight still or is it loose or warped in any way? That would indicate the magnet might have grabbed onto something metal and pulled it into the ribbon element. Those magnets are extremely powerful. I know. I tried to measure my towers from the front with a tape measure and it sucked the tape right into the screen. I 'bout shit myself...

I had the same measurement experience and reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
    I had the same measurement experience and reaction.
    Did it do any damage? My screen is a little warped now and it scraped my tweeter enough to leave a mark. I was considering sending just the tweeter back so Dave could repair it, but he determined it was only cosmetic and would have no effect on performance. Not worth the cost of repair (~$100 plus shipping both ways). I don't hear any difference and the mark is so tiny you really have to get close with a bright light to see it. At first I thought it was a piece of dust.
    Last edited by Pogre; 07-26-2020 at 10:50 AM.

I didn't have any damage. Nothing was playing at the time, so maybe I just lucked out.
    I didn't even think about the magnets when I stared the measurement, but they quickly came to mind during it. Afterwards I thought "well that was pretty dumb of me".

Quote Originally Posted by Jack1949 View Post
    I didn't have any damage. Nothing was playing at the time, so maybe I just lucked out.
    I didn't even think about the magnets when I stared the measurement, but they quickly came to mind during it. Afterwards I thought "well that was pretty dumb of me".
    I just met you, but we already have much in common! Here's what happened to mine.

download_20200726_114023_copy_768x1024_copy_480x640.jpeg

download_20200726_114754.jpeg

Dave told me it's only cosmetic and not worth the cost to repair, but damnit all...

So whats the deal with these speakers you can't play loud with them? Never heard of tweeters getting blown. Maybe it's better to order them wit the dome?