So, I’ve had Denon HT receivers for years, which of course use Audyssey for room correction. (Yes, the newer ones have Dirac available as an upgrade for hundreds of dollars, but my current one doesn’t have that option.) I’ve always thought it was OK but the last couple years I’ve heard so much about Dirac Live that I’ve wanted to try it. The fact that Audyssey doesn’t seem to like the newer Ascend speakers (it always says my Horizon center is polarity-reversed) doesn’t help.

So, the price on the Onkyo TX-RZ50 has plummeted recently and when it hit $1000 I just had to pull the trigger. Just did the setup (which is admittedly more time-consuming and finicky than the Audyssey setup), put in the Harman+6dB target curve, and put on Mad Max: Fury Road.

Now, honestly, while l was hoping for some improvement, I wasn’t actually expecting all that much. I figured the differences would be subtle and it would take me a while to pick out the differences and I’ve have to try multiple things to really hear it.

Uhh, no. The difference was IMMEDIATELY apparent. Better localization, better bass impact, more compelling overall 3D sound field, and I don’t have rears, just 5.2.2 with front heights. Very pleasantly surprised, If you have a Denon you can upgrade, it’s probably worth it. If you’re cross-shopping something with Dirac vs. something with only Audyssey, get the one with Dirac.

Admittedly, the mic could be a part of it. For Audyssey, you’re limited to the little mic that comes with the receiver. For Dirac, I could use my calibrated UMIK, which is certainly a more accurate instrument. But I suspect it’s more complicated than just that.

Anyone else recently switch from Audyssey to Dirac Live? Your experiences mirror mine or is it just that my (weird-shaped and difficult) room is unique?