Hi!

My current source is iphone, android, linux box, windows box. I use the windows box with direct audio to 'audition' stuff. Amplifier is an SMSL SA300. (40x2@8ohm.) It has a pretty crap DAC, but my other DAC is still in a moving box. Soon, I'll have the Sabaj a30a, which is 100watts and reportedly a lot less class-d sounding.

My room is roughly 12x10 and 8 feet tall. I sit in the middle on a very wide desk. There's a 49" monitor on the desk, and to each side is a Sierra-LX speaker. So the speakers form a distance of 62" center to center, and about 44" center of speaker to my head.
There are 3 windows up front, one window to the right, and a double glass sliding door to the left.
Behind me, it's about 6 feet from speakers to wall. The wall is partially treated with foam hex tiles. No other room treatments exist.

Here's a picture from when I was moving into the room:

shrunkfor8yearoldforumsoftware.jpg
I've got a couple things I'm trying to solve. None of these were an issue on the other speakers, so I'm hesitant to condemn the room, but certainly won't rule it out. (The closest speakers I had in use to compare with is ancient Focal Utopia 165w 6.5" speakers jammed into a radio shack box.)

1. Vocals sound a bit ringy/wrong.
It's hard to describe, but there's definitely a ringing of some sort in middle male vocals or lower female vocals. The vocals also have a boxed-in sound. Like the singer is singing through a shoebox.
Just playing with a 31 band eq, I came up with:
315hz -10 db
400hz -8 db
1khz - 4 db
1.25khz -3 db

It makes the singer-in-a-box problem more evident, but makes it possible to listen to some of the stronger ringing in the vocals.
The song I used to dial it in was O Holy Night by Jewel. With EQ off, it'll run you out of the room with ringing. With EQ, it's tolerable, but far from fixed. I'd rather attack this at the speaker/room level, I only have EQ in Windows.
I do suspect contact with my desk may be partially to blame. I shoved some sorbothane washers under the front to push the fronts up, which helped some with some bad behavior i'm hearing in the audio.

2. Some instruments ring as well - like the first minute of Mexicana by Opal Ocean has a -lot- of resonance/ringing.

3. I need to raise the soundstage. Should I just tilt them up more? I have a new 3D printer and an itch to print so I could make legs of just about any kind at the moment.
-I found that soundstage width is excellent when the speakers are toed about 15 degrees out. They sort of go from calling out their locations to instantly vanishing as I turn them away.
-My ears are about 6" above the tweeters, but as mentioned earlier, this is a very near field situation.

4. Not really a problem but a listening preference. The one thing i really feel like im missing from the old Focal is the ability for songs like Bomobleo to make you absolutely flinch from the top end. Any suggested EQ setting to maybe simulate that a bit?