Thread: L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default L/R Speaker Upgrade $2k: Needing a Push to Help Me Choose

I've had my Sierra-1 L/R for probably 12 years. I love them, they're super smooth, slightly laid back, inoffensive, slightly warm, and very forgiving. But I moved my setup to a larger room and I'd like something with greater dynamics (The S1 will get moved to my computer/office room). I get upgraditis every couple years but I always chicken out because I'm worried I wont like whatever I buy as much. So I've come to farm your input again

• L/R Budget: $2000
    • Receiver: Denon X3500
    • Center: Emotiva C2+
    • Surrounds: Ascend HTM 200-SE
    • Sub: TBD
    • Display: 75" Sony 900H
    • Distance from my ears to the display: ~9-10ft
    • Listening volume at that distance for music: 75-80dB
    • Music genres: Synthwave, alternative-rock, metal, witch house, trip-hop, electronic
    • Signature preference: liquid smooth mids/treble, forgiving, musical, rich/sweet, full, dynamic, non-fatiguing
    • Dislikes: bright, forward, analytical, harsh, thin, edgy treble

I know we all have a slight bias for Ascend speakers, but these are the options I've been considering so far:

1. Revel F36 $1550: I auditioned the F16 from Crutchfield for a bit and really liked it. Seemed to have more clarity than my Sierra-1, though less bass. The F16 didn't quite fill my room but I wanted to get a sense of the sound signature. I've read a lot of comments like ""ear bleeding / screaming / bright / unforgiving / lean" though when the F36 comes to metal/rock/synthwave music (for Audioslave - Like a Stone, for example). So I'm of course scared of trying it now (I unfortunately didn't test the F16 for much rock when I had them).

2. Wharfedale EVO 4.4 $2000: I auditioned the EVO 4.2 from Crutchfield too. Liked it a lot, but found it a tad dark/intimate/veiled and not as "free" or immersive when rocking out as the F16 or Sierra-1. Definitely non-fatiguing though. But I'm hesitant to dive into getting the towers because of these concerns.

3. Revel M106 $2000: I've read it has a much more smoother/refined sound compared to the F16 but it's been difficult to find direct comparisons. And it's still a pair of bookshelf speakers for $2000 which seems kind of expensive. Would love to read more about it though.

4. Ascend Sierra-2EX ~$1600: Since it's announcement/release, I've been reading as much as I can about it, notably because it's been described as more rich/warm compared to the Sierra-2. But I still see some accounts of it being a bit bright (though still very non-fatiguing), sounding a bit lean for metal/synthwave, and not being super forgiving due to no treble roll-off unlike some soft-dome speakers. I'm still completely engrossed by them, but they're still bookshelf speakers - will they give me the increase in dynamics that I want? And if I found them not ideal for the music I like, return shipping from Fresno would hurt a tad.

That's kind of where I am at the moment. Anyone have any comments on the new Polk Reserve towers, Aperion towers, comparable Dynaudio bookshelfs, BMRs, or anything else? I've largely eliminated the likes of KEF, Monitor Audio, SVS, B&W, Dali, Focal, etc because it seems like those have a more trebly-forward sound or are on the brighter side of neutral.
    Last edited by edgeh2o; 11-30-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Home - Sony 75" 900H, Denon X3500, Sierra-1 L/R, Emotiva C2+ Center
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne