Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8

    Default New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Does anyone have recommendations or articles/publications I can read on strategies for positioning these towers? I have the towers about 9í from MLP right now and am focused on figuring out how far apart they should be, toe-in angle or not, distance from back wall if it matters.. anything. I have some degrees of freedom in positioning except that the towers flank a TV and center console, but still options. Iíll continue tinkering on my own. Thanks for any tips!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    7,073

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    One thing to make sure of is the face(front baffle) of the speakers should be in front of the TV and console.

    Everything matters, and a lot what matters is subjective. I would give the Towers a couple of feet from the front wall, toe-in/out to taste.
    -curtis

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    1,450

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    My Towers are about 9' from my MLP, 7' apart, 4' from back wall, and slightly toed in. If I could, I'd have placed them around 9' apart (equilateral triangle) but can't in my room.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    After a lot of different placements/experimentation we have our Towers (old, NrT tweeter version) 19" from the back of the speaker to the back wall, and facing straight ahead.

    They're about 4' apart, and we sit about 12' from them.

    They work very well for us in that configuration, both for music and tv/movies, in a 2.0 set-up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside Pearland, TX
    Posts
    315

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    Does anyone have recommendations or articles/publications I can read on strategies for positioning these towers? I have the towers about 9’ from MLP right now and am focused on figuring out how far apart they should be, toe-in angle or not, distance from back wall if it matters.. anything. I have some degrees of freedom in positioning except that the towers flank a TV and center console, but still options. I’ll continue tinkering on my own. Thanks for any tips!
    If they're about 9' from the main listening position, they should be as close as you can realistically get them to being 9' apart. Think equilateral triangle. In real rooms perfect such triangles often aren't practical but get as close as you can.

    You shouldn't really need to toe-in the ELXs because their horizontal dispersion is excellent, but depending on your room you might find you like them better with just a tiny little bit of it. This is especially true if the speakers are further apart from each other than from the MLP.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    700

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    If they're about 9' from the main listening position, they should be as close as you can realistically get them to being 9' apart. Think equilateral triangle. In real rooms perfect such triangles often aren't practical but get as close as you can.

    You shouldn't really need to toe-in the ELXs because their horizontal dispersion is excellent, but depending on your room you might find you like them better with just a tiny little bit of it. This is especially true if the speakers are further apart from each other than from the MLP.
    I agree on not having toe-in if sitting directly in the center of the speakers. It seems that the soundstage would be wider and more spacious. What about when the listening area is a sofa and I'm usually sitting either a little to the left or right of center? It seems that a little toe in would help the further away speaker to sound a little louder. With no toe-in if I'm sitting off center, it seems that I'm listening mostly to the speaker that's facing directly towards me. Whatcha think?
    Nate

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I agree on not having toe-in if sitting directly in the center of the speakers. It seems that the soundstage would be wider and more spacious. What about when the listening area is a sofa and I'm usually sitting either a little to the left or right of center? It seems that a little toe in would help the further away speaker to sound a little louder. With no toe-in if I'm sitting off center, it seems that I'm listening mostly to the speaker that's facing directly towards me. Whatcha think?
    This is exactly the situation Iím trying to solve for. A fairly wide 2 cushion couch in front of the speakers with a TV and console in the middle. I noticed when sitting on the left side that I mainly hear the left speaker or at least thatís my perception. So wondering how best to make it sound fairly uniform across. I can play with horizontal alignment of all the pieces a little bit, couch, speakers, tv/console.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, California
    Posts
    7,073

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    This is exactly the situation I’m trying to solve for. A fairly wide 2 cushion couch in front of the speakers with a TV and console in the middle. I noticed when sitting on the left side that I mainly hear the left speaker or at least that’s my perception. So wondering how best to make it sound fairly uniform across. I can play with horizontal alignment of all the pieces a little bit, couch, speakers, tv/console.
    That's just plain physics. If you sit closer to one speaker, you are going to hear more from that speaker.

    There is going to be one spot that is the primary position, any other spot will be compromised.
    -curtis

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    700

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    This is exactly the situation I’m trying to solve for. A fairly wide 2 cushion couch in front of the speakers with a TV and console in the middle. I noticed when sitting on the left side that I mainly hear the left speaker or at least that’s my perception. So wondering how best to make it sound fairly uniform across. I can play with horizontal alignment of all the pieces a little bit, couch, speakers, tv/console.
    I'd suggest at least trying some toe-in to see if it makes the sound a little more even across all of your primary listening positions.
    Nate

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

    Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    This is exactly the situation I’m trying to solve for. A fairly wide 2 cushion couch in front of the speakers with a TV and console in the middle. I noticed when sitting on the left side that I mainly hear the left speaker or at least that’s my perception. So wondering how best to make it sound fairly uniform across. I can play with horizontal alignment of all the pieces a little bit, couch, speakers, tv/console.
    My first thought would be to move the speakers closer together if you can - that way you'll be closer to the opposite speaker.

    And/or experiment with toe-in - you might try pointing the right speaker at the left seat and vice-versa. That might help, and experimenting is fun :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •