Hi -- I'm a neophyte audiophile.

I first dipped my toe into the home theater ocean about 10 years ago with the purchase of a 5.1 system assembled from Polk Monitor Series II 40/30's, CS1, and PSW505. They worked when I plugged them in and sounded alright. I didn't learn any more than that. I've definitely been wading around in the kiddie pool here.

I still don't know how to swim, but last week, I jumped in head-first into the depths after finding a great deal locally on second-hand Ascend Sierra 2's and a Horizon center. I heard them before purchase with the seller and they were incredible. Of course, he had paired them with two Rythmik subs and knew how to configure the system properly. I have yet to set them up and hear them in my own space.

Even second-hand, this purchase was way over my initial budget. Now, I'm looking at spending even more on a decent subwoofer and, possibly, a receiver to outfit a killer 3.1 system for film, games, and music. I am hoping that the folks here can share some recommendations that won't melt my wallet. It's easy to get carried away.

1. I already own a Yamaha TSR-700 (7.2, 100 watt) receiver. Is this sufficient? Would I be that much better off with a Denon X3800H ($999 on sale recently) with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 or Dirac ($259)? I could also tune down the bass/LFE for the benefit of my neighbors?

2. I already ordered a couple of SVS subwoofers last week at clearance pricing. Emotiva is also having a clearance sale. As an apartment resident, I want to be considerate of my neighbors and I'm interested more in musical depth than rumble.

Considering:

1. Rythmik L12 ($690)
  2. Emotiva Airmotiv XS10 ($400)
  3. Emotiva Airmotiv Se12 Flex ($269)
  4. SVS SB-1000 ($350)
  5. SVS PB-1000 Pro ($500)

What's the best value?

Thanks!