Hello, I've owned a pair of CBM-170's (non-SE) since about 2005, when I was in my college dorm! Also have a Hsu VTF-2. They've been in storage for a while, and I'm about to buy a 55-65" TV for this room in my house:

media room2.png

entrance small img.jpg

As you can see, it is non-symmetrical (small hallway on left to laundry, exterior door, bath. As a result, I know I can't ever get "reference quality" audio in this room, but I think it will serve my non-expert, relatively non-connoissseur needs for a casual media and listening room. I aim to build out a 3.1 setup in here.

The ceiling is vaulted as you can see in the photo, so even though this is a small room in width and length, the high ceiling adds some volume. Vaulted ceiling is 10.25 feet at highest point, 7.75 feet at lowest at back of room.

I am thinking at this point I will buy a receiver that has something like HEOS, and run speakers in other rooms throughout the house. I need to do more research on that side.

I'm looking for some feedback on a handful of options. The main consideration is whether to upgrade the L/R speakers now, the sub can be upgraded later easily:

1. Just buy an AV receiver and a CMT-340 SE2 center, reuse my CBM-170's (L/R) & the VTF-2.
2. Buy new CBM-170 SEs (L/R), a CMT-340SE2 (C), and an AV receiver, reuse the VTF-2.
3. Buy all new CMT-340 SE2's, (L, R, and C), plus the receiver, reuse the VTF-2.
4. Maybe buy second-hand CMT-340 SEs for L/R/C?

I'm also open to other options/combinations. I would rather take it slow and upgrade as necessary, so option #1 is what I'm leaning towards, but I am worried about timbre differences between the CBM-170 originals and the new CMT-340 SE2 as a center. In addition, I'm wondering if the room is large enough to justify the 340's over the 170's.

If I do upgrade the L/R, I might be able to employ my current CBM-170's in another part of the house. I've got an old Adcom GFA-535 power amp I could pair to them.

EDIT: BTW, the goofy double 42" TV thing is from the previous owner, I'll be taking those down, and buying a media console to go along the same wall on which a new, larger TV will be perched.

Appreciate your feedback!
Eric