Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting Advice

Default Requesting Advice

Hi there!

I decided a few months ago that I'm ready to move on from a simple soundbar setup and into the world of "true" home theatre/audio, and ever since have been doing my best not to get completely overwhelmed by all the options (not an easy task!). I appreciate good audio, but I'm not looking to break the bank to have the "best" setup, so I'm trying to keep the budget at $5k for receiver/speakers/sub (the lower the better, of course). From my research, it seems like Ascend Acoustics (along with Rhythmik subs) offers a great balance of performance and cost, and I've been eyeing the Signature Series as the most realistic sweet spot for me. While I feel like I'm closer to making a decision, my nature is to over-analyze everything so that I don't miss something (a curse, I know!). I noticed other people asking for advice on similar decisions in the forum, so thought I'd ask for some guidance myself to help make a decision. Now on to the details!

Usage: Movies and Video Games
    Room Dimensions (WxLxH): 14'8" x 17' x 8' (TV is on the shorter wall; one side of room is only 15'4"; diagram attached)
    Seating Position: 10' from TV
    Receiver: Denon AVR-X3800H (already purchased)
    Speaker Setup: 5.1.4

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of speakers from Ascend:

Left/Right - CMT-340SE2
    Center - CMT-340SE2 (horizontal)
    Surrounds - HTM-200SE
    Atmos - HTM-200SE
    Subwoofer - Rythmik FVX12

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from the forum on the above along with anything I'm missing or should also be considering. I'm itching to make a decision, but want to make an educated choice that I'll be happy with for years to come. Thanks in advance!!!

Room Diagram

room.png

Default Re: Requesting Advice

Overall, I think your speaker choices are fine. You may want to consider the fvx15 (or even the 18) as your room is pretty big. Depending on which you go with, you may want to plan on adding a 2nd sub (same model) to help fill the room and even out bass response.

Of course, you should call or email Ascend for their recommendations/thoughts. Rythmik will also give you recommendations for the sub without over-selling.

If you want alot of tactile response for movies or games, you may want to look at tactile transducers. They give alot of feel, particularly at the low end, without needing multiple subs at higher volumes. I’ve used buttkickers (ok) but upgraded to Crowsons (more expensive but more lifelike/better sensations IMO)
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Sounds like a great system! If I were building my setup from scratch, I would probably be looking at the CMT-340SE2's for my home theater as well. I agree with racrawford65 that you should probably consider a larger sub given how big the space you're working with is. (Jealous tbh, my current space is quite small!)

Appreciate the responses!

Sub is something I've been going back and forth on - bigger? two of them? I might be able to stretch the budget a bit to accommodate a larger size, but two is probably out of reach for the time being at least. If I get a bigger (more expensive) one to start, that would likely be the only one I have.

What would you recommend given the choice between bumping up to a single 15" or starting with a single 12" and considering a second one down the road?

Larger single sub all day...especially if adding a second down the road...is not...out of the question. Larger will always dig deeper, louder & more efficient...its just physics... duals will help balance room response... personally I'd take 18>15>12...sealed or ported...going by your schematic diagram...I'd start with a single 15" minimum and go from there...you could definitely go sealed in that room...my room is 1600^3ft....single 18" and its plenty...how much sub though...is largely depended on room size and listening levels...some guys are just bass heads...thankfully Ive avoided that rabbit hole....other perhaps not such much...lol.
    Last edited by billy p; 03-22-2023 at 11:20 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

My room is similar in size to yours and I have a single F15HP...love it. I would love to put in a second to even out the bass response in the room, but just don't have a good spot for another one.
    -curtis

Yes, I agree - a larger single sub, either 15 or 18. Then as funds permit and you feel the need, add a second. FWIW, I started with an E15HP then added a second a year or so later. My area is much bigger than yours - 16x12 but open to dining room behind (16x12) and den on left (~22x20). Bass is really good but did add Crowsons for LF tactile response. Cheaper than another sub or two😁

Thanks again for all the replies. Your feedback has me considering starting with an E15HP or F15HP...other than the size, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two?

I'm also left wondering what I'm missing out on by not going with a ported option. Decisions, decisions!

Iirc....during my last foray seeking
    a new sub...those two rythmiks have a slight variance in size...given the added volume (size) the f15hp has about 1-2 dbs more headroom, and e15hp...has more wife appeal.

As for ported they are obviously bigger with more room filling capacity down to its port tune...owned both, perfer sealed....just more manageable with higher WAF....I've also experienced with some lesser designs the port adds to the overall sound. Dollar for dollar ported offers much more value....

Decision....Decision...lol
    Last edited by billy p; 03-22-2023 at 07:03 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I have the 340SE2 for LCR, 200SE's for surrounds, and the F15HP as a sub. Together, they make a great system. If you can fit/afford the F15HP then I would go for it. I would get a second F15HP but doubt that will happen any time soon.