Thread: Analysis Paralysis

Default Analysis Paralysis

I’ve been on the fence to upgrade from my current KEF Q100 bed layer set up for a while. I just added 4 SVS elevations for heights and I’m ready to solidify an upgrade choice for LCR. This is in my main living room.

I could go CMT340s now, but I went down the rabbit hole of potential off axis issues with that MTM center design. I want great off axis, so that leaves either the Sierra 2EX or the LX. Both of those I would need to save more $ and it would take me longer to obtain.

Primary purpose is movies and video games. Where do I get the best long term enjoyment for the money? What are the key differences between the 2EX and the LX? Could the KEF Q100s still perform as surrounds or should I upgrade them down the line to an Ascend speaker? If so, which one?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing some ascends for the first time.

Default Re: Analysis Paralysis

I haven’t heard the 2ex (I have LX currently, which were my first ascend speaker) so I’ll let someone else speak to that. But just from what I observe from others: I think these are 2 very different speakers. And it really depends what kind of sound you want. I think the writeup on the LX’s product page is a very accurate portrayal. If you want heavy hard hitting base, slam, that’s what the LX delivers. And the LX will do better off-axis (I’m assuming you mean vertically, if you mean only horizontally then they’re both great). I suspect the 2ex perform better for critical music listening and if you prefer less slam and are on-axis. They are also easier to drive than the LX.

Generally speaking, for HT and gaming, I would go with the LX. They give you an excellent experience, better than the 2ex without subwoofer for this usecase (sounds like you’re running without subs). The LX are no joke. Seriously, I don’t even want a subwoofer with these. I have more bass than I know what to do with.

I think if you already have subwoofers, depending on where you crossover, it becomes a lot murkier.

From my experience with the LX alone, I have full faith in whatever speaker Ascend produces. These have really exceeded my expectations and are phenomenal speakers. I think either of them will be good choices so I think it comes down to your sound preferences really.

What’s your listening distance and room dimensions?
    Last edited by Yuppers; 03-06-2023 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trollhammerx View Post
    I’ve been on the fence to upgrade from my current KEF Q100 bed layer set up for a while. I just added 4 SVS elevations for heights and I’m ready to solidify an upgrade choice for LCR. This is in my main living room.

I could go CMT340s now, but I went down the rabbit hole of potential off axis issues with that MTM center design. I want great off axis, so that leaves either the Sierra 2EX or the LX. Both of those I would need to save more $ and it would take me longer to obtain.

Primary purpose is movies and video games. Where do I get the best long term enjoyment for the money? What are the key differences between the 2EX and the LX? Could the KEF Q100s still perform as surrounds or should I upgrade them down the line to an Ascend speaker? If so, which one?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing some ascends for the first time.
    Welcome to our community!

Just a few quick but important questions:

1. How far back are you sitting from the center speaker?

2. How wide is our room?

3. What amp or receiver are you using?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you both for the reply.

I'm sitting about 10 ft from center channel/tv (TV is on the long wall)

Room is about 15' X 20' open to kitchen

Currently using Onkyo NR7100 (9 ch) and I have (2) SVS PB12-NSDs in the two back corners.

I have about 11 inches under my TV for a center. Could I use CMT340 for LR and something else for center? Am I worried too much about off axis issues with MTM? I'm not in a rush, and from everything I'm reading, the LX's look like they may be worth saving up for to have them LCR.

I currently have a Klipsch set up in the basement theater, and the room is just an awful room for audio, so my kids and I typically watch the OLED in the living room and the basement projector theater is collecting dust. I have Klipsch Towers (RP-280) and a massive Klipsch Center (RP-450c) with two Ultimax 18 subs. I've spent many hours tweaking MiniDSP, REQW, Audessy, and have never been able to achieve an overall good (to-me) sound down there. I honestly think it's the center channel as I typically dont sit in the center of the couch, but off axis. And the sub bass sounds just bad. I moved my PB12NSD's to the living room, and built two massive subs and it did nothing to improve the sound.

The upstairs living room sounds honestly wonderful using the KEF Q-100s and the SVS PB-12s. I think it's the room and the center channel design of the KEF driver. And I'm confident that upgrading to something higher quality (like Ascend) in the living room will improve the sound quality even more. And once I get this set, I will likely re-approach the basement set up to address the issues and get the big screen theater popping again.

I currently have a Klipsch set up in the basement theater, and the room is just an awful room for audio...I've spent many hours tweaking MiniDSP, REQW, Audessy, and have never been able to achieve an overall good (to-me) sound down there...bad. I moved my PB12NSD's to the living room, and built two massive subs and it did nothing to improve the sound.
    Located LP/speakers correctly (outside of peaks/nulls)? Any proper room treatment?
    Last edited by rvsixer; 03-08-2023 at 06:50 AM.

Thank you both for the reply.

I'm sitting about 10 ft from center channel/tv (TV is on the long wall)

Room is about 15' X 20' open to kitchen

Currently using Onkyo NR7100 (9 ch) and I have (2) SVS PB12-NSDs in the two back corners.
    At a 10' listening distance, you will have a 7.3 foot wide sweet spot with the 340SE2 center, that is wider than the majority of couches. At 7.3' wide to 11.4 wide' (nearly as wide as your room), you may hear differences at this position compared to being directly on-axis for the center. Of course, you will also now be sitting directly in front of one of the left or right speakers, and that is far more problematic.

Do I think you are too concerned about off-axis issues with the 340SE2 center? Yes, at your listening distance and with the width of your room, absolutely. Please read this post here:

https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sh...r-some-science

I think 340SE2 will be perfect for you in this room and your usage, and I haven't been wrong yet with recommendations 340SE2
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com