Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonewinner pre/pro.

Default Tonewinner pre/pro.

https://www.summithifi.com/products/...releasing-soon

I stumbled upon this for affordable pre-pro AV processor unit...up to 16ch, most...if not, all the bells and whistles...but I'm hesitant to pay for the luxury of 16ch of amplification...what do you guys think and what's the word on various audio circles.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Default Re: Tonewinner pre/pro.

In comparison to the competition....I'll start off with its not a true 16-channel processor, lacks room correction, etc.

Tonewinner adds more competitive features under the Emotiva label.

Quote Originally Posted by rvsixer View Post
    ...lacks room correction, etc.
    Well...it lists this:

• Built-in auto room correction by Tone Winner
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I stumbled upon this for affordable pre-pro AV processor unit...up to 16ch, most...if not, all the bells and whistles...but I'm hesitant to pay for the luxury of 16ch of amplification...what do you guys think and what's the word on various audio circles.
    billy...I know Tonewinner makes some stuff for Emotiva, and you know I am not a fan.

I would put that $1700 into a receiver from one of the major brands, or look for a used processor.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    billy...I know Tonewinner makes some stuff for Emotiva, and you know I am not a fan.

I would put that $1700 into a receiver from one of the major brands, or look for a used processor.
    Yea...given todays standard most AV companies use proprietary REQ....hardware. I read somewhere they provide some of the parts for the newer Emotiva line...but I'm very suspect of them, given all the issues they had with previous units which you've alluded too.

I sold my current unit and looking at several closely priced options from Anthem(15% off spring sale), Denon and new Marantz *C* lineup.

The new X3800H will be Dirac compliant via SW update...albeit additional cost and from my past experiences both ARC and Audyssey xt32/app get very good results...but for some reason or another I've always wanted separates and the new class D amps offer tons of affordable options...gears are constantly spinning...oye!!

I echo Curtis' post...I'm definitely not a fan of Emotiva, particularly processors, based on my experience with the UMC-1 (it sounded good but was buggy as hell. After a year of firmware upgrades, still not nearly good enough. Emotiva gave up and I returned mine) and from what I've read about later processors.

There's a couple of MRX1120's on usaudiomart for around $2K. Newer models (MRX) is currently on sale
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I lust after a new processor, but can't justify it. They are so expensive. If I could, Anthem is high on my list as I have been very happy with my AVM 60, as is the new Marantz, as well as other Dirac capable receivers/processors...seems to be some good options out there.

If someone wanted to make a donation, I would love a Trinnov unit.
    -curtis

Sometimes going with something off the beaten path can be a good thing. I would say that Ascend speakers definitely fit that trend, where you get performance far exceeding what you get for the price from just about any other company. The same thing was true for Oppo Blu-ray players when they were still being made. The performance of the Oppo player was second to none, especially at the price point. In fact these players made it so that other "flagship" Blu-ray players seemed ridiculously priced and I think Oppo kind of killed off the high end Blu-Ray player sales even from excellent companies like Denon.

What's not to love about the Oppo players? I still have my Oppo BDP-83, which still works great. However, about 20 to 30% of the time when I would rent a Blu-ray disk from Netflix (when they still did that) and I would have playback issues on the Oppo player. I might need to fast forward through 5 to 10 minutes of the movie to get past a spot that would lock it up and it would just freeze there unless you power cycle the player. Very frustrating! I was less concerned about running into this issue with purchased blu-ray's because I could always just return it saying it didn't play. Though I think Best Buy now checks it in one or two of their blu-ray players and if the disk plays fine in there, they will not accept a return even if it doesn't play on your blu-ray player. Going with a name brand blu-ray player as an alternative you won't run into this issue much if at all, since the manufacturers make sure they work fine in those players, but aren't likely testing them in Oppo players. That is what I found in a Panasonic blu-ray player that I have. Oppo was great and probably did eventually sent out firmware updates to fix playback issues, but it ended up being a big inconvenience.

What does this have to do with the Tonewinner pre/pro? Pre-pros and receivers are very complicated, with all that is going on inside of them. With my Denon 3600H I have not had a single glitch with things not working correctly over the past 3 years. Everyone has heard about countless glitches in Emotiva products that sometimes get fixed after quite some time and sometimes not. I would imagine Tonewinner is a similarly sized smaller company, where there is a good chance you run into the same type of thing. I don't have patience for that, especially if one is paying extra money for a more premium product.

If you go off the beaten path with a passive loudspeaker, you will know within a few days or likely just a few minutes if everything is working or not. With a pre-pro or receiver, you might encounter a glitch outside of the warranty period and then you need to live with it. Maybe they are an excellent company and promptly fix any glitches, but being a smaller company it is going to take much longer than most of us have patience for when we just want to sit down at the end of the day and enjoy some music or a movie or tv show at the end of the day. I would suggest just heading over the accessories4less and look for a Denon or Marantz or Yamaha receiver that has the features you want at the price point you can afford and go with that. I think you will be much happier in the longrun.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I lust after a new processor, but can't justify it. They are so expensive. If I could, Anthem is high on my list as I have been very happy with my AVM 60, as is the new Marantz, as well as other Dirac capable receivers/processors...seems to be some good options out there.

If someone wanted to make a donation, I would love a Trinnov unit.
    Ha...you'd require a lot of donations...lol.

OR...set up a go fund me page...

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Sometimes going with something off the beaten path can be a good thing. I would say that Ascend speakers definitely fit that trend, where you get performance far exceeding what you get for the price from just about any other company. The same thing was true for Oppo Blu-ray players when they were still being made. The performance of the Oppo player was second to none, especially at the price point. In fact these players made it so that other "flagship" Blu-ray players seemed ridiculously priced and I think Oppo kind of killed off the high end Blu-Ray player sales even from excellent companies like Denon.

What's not to love about the Oppo players? I still have my Oppo BDP-83, which still works great. However, about 20 to 30% of the time when I would rent a Blu-ray disk from Netflix (when they still did that) and I would have playback issues on the Oppo player. I might need to fast forward through 5 to 10 minutes of the movie to get past a spot that would lock it up and it would just freeze there unless you power cycle the player. Very frustrating! I was less concerned about running into this issue with purchased blu-ray's because I could always just return it saying it didn't play. Though I think Best Buy now checks it in one or two of their blu-ray players and if the disk plays fine in there, they will not accept a return even if it doesn't play on your blu-ray player. Going with a name brand blu-ray player as an alternative you won't run into this issue much if at all, since the manufacturers make sure they work fine in those players, but aren't likely testing them in Oppo players. That is what I found in a Panasonic blu-ray player that I have. Oppo was great and probably did eventually sent out firmware updates to fix playback issues, but it ended up being a big inconvenience.

What does this have to do with the Tonewinner pre/pro? Pre-pros and receivers are very complicated, with all that is going on inside of them. With my Denon 3600H I have not had a single glitch with things not working correctly over the past 3 years. Everyone has heard about countless glitches in Emotiva products that sometimes get fixed after quite some time and sometimes not. I would imagine Tonewinner is a similarly sized smaller company, where there is a good chance you run into the same type of thing. I don't have patience for that, especially if one is paying extra money for a more premium product.

If you go off the beaten path with a passive loudspeaker, you will know within a few days or likely just a few minutes if everything is working or not. With a pre-pro or receiver, you might encounter a glitch outside of the warranty period and then you need to live with it. Maybe they are an excellent company and promptly fix any glitches, but being a smaller company it is going to take much longer than most of us have patience for when we just want to sit down at the end of the day and enjoy some music or a movie or tv show at the end of the day. I would suggest just heading over the accessories4less and look for a Denon or Marantz or Yamaha receiver that has the features you want at the price point you can afford and go with that. I think you will be much happier in the longrun.
    I agree, with the Ascend and OPPO models. I have my trusty 103D(even owned the dv971 unit from long ago), thou I don't use it as much because of todays streaming services...but every now and again when I re-watch some of my BRD or 4K collection it's spectacular. As is often the case most folks use avrs or used market for good processors. Denon in particular design's & packs their higher end avrs to rival their separates which cost thousands more...I understand the esoteric market somewhat those folks wouldn't touch a moderately priced mid hifi solution...I reckon those boutique mfgs brands don't need to sell thousands of unit to turn a profit....after all...appearance, plus the name on the outside is what matters most to folks.
    Last edited by billy p; 02-28-2023 at 12:27 PM.