Thread: Audyssey XT32 Says My Titan Horizon Center's Polarity is Reversed?

Default Audyssey XT32 Says My Titan Horizon Center's Polarity is Reversed?

I just got my Titan Horizon and am doing first time Audyssey calibration with it using my Denon X3500H.

After the first round of chirps, it gave me an error message saying the center channel's speaker polarity is reversed and it wants me to swap the red/black speaker wires. Should I do this?

Just for fun, I turned off all my other speakers and played a song using multi-channel mode. I swapped the red/black speaker plugs and it mostly sounded the same but had a lot more bass. I did run a round of chirps with the wires reversed and it did NOT give me the reversed polarity error.

Not sure what to do in this situation, never had it come up for me before.
    Home - Sony 75" 900H, Denon X3500, Sierra-1 L/R, Emotiva C2+ Center
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne

Default Re: Audyssey XT32 Says My Titan Horizon Center's Polarity is Reversed?

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post
    I just got my Titan Horizon and am doing first time Audyssey calibration with it using my Denon X3500H.

After the first round of chirps, it gave me an error message saying the center channel's speaker polarity is reversed and it wants me to swap the red/black speaker wires. Should I do this?

Just for fun, I turned off all my other speakers and played a song using multi-channel mode. I swapped the red/black speaker plugs and it mostly sounded the same but had a lot more bass. I did run a round of chirps with the wires reversed and it did NOT give me the reversed polarity error.

Not sure what to do in this situation, never had it come up for me before.
    It is a common issue with some receivers and Audyssey to report reverse polarity. Please connect the polarity in positive phase.

if you had no other speakers playing, it is not possible to hear any difference between positive and negative polarity. Did you have your subwoofer connected? If yes, than you might consider adjusting the phase on your subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It is a common issue with some receivers and Audyssey to report reverse polarity. Please connect the polarity in positive phase.

if you had no other speakers playing, it is not possible to hear any difference between positive and negative polarity. Did you have your subwoofer connected? If yes, than you might consider adjusting the phase on your subwoofer.
    Gotcha. I searched the forum after I posted and found someone else had just posted about the same thing, though with an ELX tower.

No subwoofer yet... working on that next. Speaking of which, now that I did a brand new round of calibration, the only way to set a HPF crossover to my fronts would be to lie and tell Audyssey that I DO in fact have a subwoofer, right? (My old calibration file was done when I did have a subwoofer so my fronts were already set to small).

Any ideas why there was more bass from the center when I temporarily reversed the wires?
    Car - Arc Audio KS 300.2, 300.4, 2500.1; Arc Audio Black 6.2; (2) Arc Audio Black 12's; Audison BitOne

Quote Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Any ideas why there was more bass from the center when I temporarily reversed the wires?
    Are you sure you weren't just imagining it? Reversing the polarity on a speaker has absolutely no effect on speaker performance. It will, however, affect how a speaker blends with another speaker in the bass frequency ranges. If no other speakers were connected, it isn't possible to have heard a difference.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Are you sure you weren't just imagining it? Reversing the polarity on a speaker has absolutely no effect on speaker performance. It will, however, affect how a speaker blends with another speaker in the bass frequency ranges. If no other speakers were connected, it isn't possible to have heard a difference.
    Yes, you can lie and tell Audyssey you do have a subwoofer - if you want to set a HPF without actually having a subwoofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Tried it again - I was definitely imagining it. I need a nap.

Giving this some more thought since you aren't using a subwoofer...

Phase is something that is rather complex and depends on many variables, most critical of which is the distances between you and the speakers, and the distances between one speaker and another.

Since you are not using a subwoofer, phase becomes even more complex because you are going to get deep bass frequencies from 3 of your speakers, your L/R LX and your Horizon center which are all at different positions in your room.

So, with that in mind - I recommend turning Audyssey off completely. Run some full range music on multi-channel stereo with just your front 3 speakers connected (LX pair and Horizon). Leave the polarity on your Horizon as positive, the same with your LX.

Listen to bass tracks while seated in your listening position. Then reverse the polarity on the Horizon and listen to the same tracks.

Whichever polarity for the Horizon provides the deepest overall bass response at your listening position is the polarity you should use for the Horizon. After this, then run Audyssey again. if you still get a phase error, just ignore it.

Once you do add a sub and HP the left/center/right speakers, then make sure the polarity for the center is positive.

Phase gets quite complicated when you have multiple speakers all playing the same deep bass frequencies. Which is another major advantage of adding a subwoofer...

Hope this makes sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My ELX Ribbon Horizon I just got back also registered as reverse polarity by Audyssey in my new Denon x4800h. I just ignored it.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    My ELX Ribbon Horizon I just got back also registered as reverse polarity by Audyssey in my new Denon x4800h. I just ignored it.
    Seems Audyssey doesn't like the unique new crossover, which is quite a bit different than typical speaker crossovers. Not quite sure how they are determining polarity but I am also not concerned about it.

How are you enjoying your new ELX Ribbon Horizon?

What frequency did Audyssey set as the crossover point?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Seems Audyssey doesn't like the unique new crossover, which is quite a bit different than typical speaker crossovers. Not quite sure how they are determining polarity but I am also not concerned about it.

How are you enjoying your new ELX Ribbon Horizon?

What frequency did Audyssey set as the crossover point?
    Had about 1/2 the day yesterday with it, so far really enjoying it! I’m home today so gonna get some good time with it and get the subs a little more dialed in.

UPDATE: Have been listening to it a lot the past few days.

Pretty much this thing sounds HUGE, clearer and more detailed. Might be placebo, but I feel like I’m hearing more nuanced sounds and the softer details in movies and music. Just a new level of realism. The bass and mid bass is just awesome and those of us with the RAAL know what that brings.

At loud volumes it effortlessly fills the room and my open floor plan 1st level. Hard to describe without sounding negative, but it just makes the original version sound thin and at loud volume constrained. Obviously the new drivers are a big part, but the new crossover probably has just as big of a part. Better driver integration I would say.

Don’t get me wrong, the V1 was great, but in comparison…well the ELX is just that much better to my ears. I listened to the V1 Horizon nearly every day for five years, and it’s a pretty discerning difference that is noticeable.

I do a lot of low volume listening at night after the kids go to bed. At low volumes the dialogue is very crisp and clear. Dialogue intelligibility is improved and all of the soundtrack detail was still there. In shorter terms, I don’t miss anything even when it’s not loud.

Audyssey set the Horizon and EXv2’s crossover at full band, didn’t assign a value that I could find. It put my surrounds at 40hz. I put everything to small and 80hz, limited room correction to 300hz. This front stage plays well together and sounds incredible. Just a big wall of sound.

After the ELX Horizon, I’m not sure if I will be able to go without the towers for too long though. Just need the money is all. Lol
    Last edited by diesel79; 02-18-2023 at 12:29 PM.