Thread: Hello from SoCal

Thumbs up Hello from SoCal

I had been reading about Ascend Acoustics Sierra series both here, the Hoffman Forum and Audiokarma for several weeks and decided I needed to hear them. Fortunately I am only two hours from San Clemente so I drove down there yesterday and spent much of the afternoon in their demo room. Dina played host. (She's a wonderful person. Dave was out of the office.)

I have been using Wharfedale 80th Anniversary Dentons driven by a 40 watt NAD integrated for the last two and a half years. I am vinyl-only (except for occasionally hooking up my phone for Spotify and You Tube with a cheapy bluetooth adapter.) Front end is Technics SL-1500c / Ortofon 2M Blue. This system has served me well but I have had the upgrade bug recently. I wondered if their was a petite, affordable bookshelf speaker that would improve bass performance and project more pinpoint imaging and a wider and deeper sound stage than the Dentons are capable of.

First up was the LX. I was immediately struck by their overall character. The highs were nicely extended but still sweet. Mids were pure and natural. And everyone knows about their bass performance. So more solid and extended bass, check. What I was unprepared for was the sound staging and imaging. Miles', Coltrane's and Cannonball Adderley's horns were big and practically in my face on Kind of Blue, with the rhythm section spaced out evenly behind them. On Dire Straits' "Water of Love" the percussion and acoustic guitars literally jumped out the speakers. Same with Muddy Waters' Folk Singer. Norah Jones's voice was huge and right there on "Cold Cold Heart". They have a hard drive filled with perfect demo music. I spent about two hours enjoying one favorite and another.

Next was the 2EX. This had many of the same qualities but I just felt on some recordings they were just the tiniest bit shrill in the highs. The LX's top end was a little bit silkier. Now of course this wasn't level matched immediate switching, and my auditory memory isn't the greatest when auditioning equipment, but at the end of the day, I decided on the LX in a light natural finish. They let me pick out the cabinets they were going to use and assembled them in time for UPS pick up at five. They will be here today and I cannot wait!
    Last edited by modalmood; 02-10-2023 at 02:21 PM.

Default Re: Hello from SoCal

Welcome from another SoCal Ascend owner, with natural LX's as well, but mine began life as Sierra-2's. I had Sierra-1's, but gave them to my Dad when I went to Sierra-2's.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Welcome from another SoCal Ascend owner, with natural LX's as well, but mine began life as Sierra-2's. I had Sierra-1's, but gave them to my Dad when I went to Sierra-2's.
    Thanks. The speakers arrived and are sitting in my car anxiously awaiting to get home and start playing music!

(tick tick tick...)

Quote Originally Posted by modalmood View Post
    Thanks. The speakers arrived and are sitting in my car anxiously awaiting to get home and start playing music!

(tick tick tick...)
    Hopefully you are enjoying them now.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Hopefully you are enjoying them now.
    Yes I am!

Quote Originally Posted by modalmood View Post
    I had been reading about Ascend Acoustics Sierra series both here, the Hoffman Forum and Audiokarma for several weeks and decided I needed to hear them. Fortunately I am only two hours from San Clemente so I drove down there yesterday and spent much of the afternoon in their demo room. Dina played host. (She's a wonderful person. Dave was out of the office.)

I have been using Wharfedale 80th Anniversary Dentons driven by a 40 watt NAD integrated for the last two and a half years. I am vinyl-only (except for occasionally hooking up my phone for Spotify and You Tube with a cheapy bluetooth adapter.) Front end is Technics SL-1500c / Ortofon 2M Blue. This system has served me well but I have had the upgrade bug recently. I wondered if their was a petite, affordable bookshelf speaker that would improve bass performance and project more pinpoint imaging and a wider and deeper sound stage than the Dentons are capable of.

First up was the LX. I was immediately struck by their overall character. The highs were nicely extended but still sweet. Mids were pure and natural. And everyone knows about their bass performance. So more solid and extended bass, check. What I was unprepared for was the sound staging and imaging. Miles', Coltrane's and Cannonball Adderley's horns were big and practically in my face on Kind of Blue, with the rhythm section spaced out evenly behind them. On Dire Straits' "Water of Love" the percussion and acoustic guitars literally jumped out the speakers. Same with Muddy Waters' Folk Singer. Norah Jones's voice was huge and right there on "Cold Cold Heart". They have a hard drive filled with perfect demo music. I spent about two hours enjoying one favorite and another.

Next was the 2EX. This had many of the same qualities but I just felt on some recordings they were just the tiniest bit shrill in the highs. The LX's top end was a little bit silkier. Now of course this wasn't level matched immediate switching, and my auditory memory isn't the greatest when auditioning equipment, but at the end of the day, I decided on the LX in a light natural finish. They let me pick out the cabinets they were going to use and assembled them in time for UPS pick up at five. They will be here today and I cannot wait!
    Thank you so much for the review and I am so sorry that I missed you at the office. Glad we were able to accommodate you and get your speakers assembled, tested and shipped to you that same day. They were an absolutely stunning pair of naturals! Good choice
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank you Dave. Very happy with how the LX's sound at home after getting some solid 24" stands and fiddling with positioning. Very happy. And glad to feel welcomed into the Ascend Acoustics family.