Thread: Amp/Pre-Amp recommendations for CMT-340SE2

Default Amp/Pre-Amp recommendations for CMT-340SE2

Hi folks,

I recently purchased ascend CMT 340 SE's primarily for 2 channel music listening. I have set that up with a subwoofer on my living room connected to an average receiver Yamaha TSR-7850.

I don't have enough space to squeeze a center channel in the living room, so went for a sleek center channel from Def Tech.

Wanted to enhance the experience, are there any amp/pre-amp recommendations to enhance the music listening experience. I'm not planning to add any more channels to this setup..

Regards
    Ram

Living Room.jpg

Default Re: Amp/Pre-Amp recommendations for CMT-340SE2

Maybe give some more details......
    1. Budget?
    2. Would you want a separate Amp & Preamp or would an integrated amp work?
    3. Since this is a multi-use (HT/Music) setup, would you need something with HT bypass so you could still use your Yamaha?

Although I think you could get increased performance with separates, I would consider fixing any room issues first with whatever types of treatments you could squeeze in. While the room EQ feature on the Yamaha helps for movies, you would likely be without it going to separates.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Budget - around 2K

Would you want a separate Amp & Preamp or would an integrated amp work?
    Integrated amp should work, but I already got used to separates (in my HT room - with Anthem AVM 70 + Tonewinner, Denon Amps). Wanted similar kind of quality.

3. Since this is a multi-use (HT/Music) setup, would you need something with HT bypass so you could still use your Yamaha?

My yamaha has pre-amp outs for the mains (L/R), can I try a two channel amp with the Yamaha itself?

Although I think you could get increased performance with separates, I would consider fixing any room issues first with whatever types of treatments you could squeeze in. While the room EQ feature on the Yamaha helps for movies, you would likely be without it going to separates.

My room is a family room with only 2 walls (open to kitchen and foyer). Don't know what kind of treatments are possible.

You could try just an amp, but results may vary as to what improvements you perceive.

I used a Marantz AVR for years with a 200 watt separate amp. It was better, but you really have to know your system and how it sounds to detect some of the changes. Once I eliminated the Marantz and put in the Parasound P5 I noticed a bigger improvement for music. I'm fortunate to have a dedicated music system as well as a dedicated HT setup, so I can mess with the music system to my heart's content, only limited by my budget, without affecting the HT setup in the living room.

One of the biggest improvements I experienced was adding a 2nd sub and EQ'ing both subs with a MiniDSP 2x4HD. That's a bit on the advanced side, but not overly difficult to do.

P.S. If you can, ask the forum overlords to move this thread to the "Setup and How To's" section so it can get more visibility.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    You could try just an amp, but results may vary as to what improvements you perceive.

I used a Marantz AVR for years with a 200 watt separate amp. It was better, but you really have to know your system and how it sounds to detect some of the changes. Once I eliminated the Marantz and put in the Parasound P5 I noticed a bigger improvement for music. I'm fortunate to have a dedicated music system as well as a dedicated HT setup, so I can mess with the music system to my heart's content, only limited by my budget, without affecting the HT setup in the living room.

One of the biggest improvements I experienced was adding a 2nd sub and EQ'ing both subs with a MiniDSP 2x4HD. That's a bit on the advanced side, but not overly difficult to do.

P.S. If you can, ask the forum overlords to move this thread to the "Setup and How To's" section so it can get more visibility.
    Ed - I just tried adding a basic amp (Emotiva BasX A3 150 WPC) to my setup. My CMT 340 SE2's got greatly benefitted from the amplification.

My system sounds a lot better. I see better separation, finer detail and overall improved dynamics in my favorite music tracks. I do have a reference system (my HT room, with Anthem processor and TW amp and a couple of Hi-Perf subs) to compare with.

Now my favorite for music listening is my living room with Ascend mains and subs setup.

Thanks for your inputs, I just had to spend 500 bucks for that, but I think I'm kind of done for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by ksr_sundar View Post
    Ed - I just tried adding a basic amp (Emotiva BasX A3 150 WPC) to my setup. My CMT 340 SE2's got greatly benefitted from the amplification.

My system sounds a lot better. I see better separation, finer detail and overall improved dynamics in my favorite music tracks. I do have a reference system (my HT room, with Anthem processor and TW amp and a couple of Hi-Perf subs) to compare with.

Now my favorite for music listening is my living room with Ascend mains and subs setup.

Thanks for your inputs, I just had to spend 500 bucks for that, but I think I'm kind of done for the next few years.
    Excellent! Glad you heard an improvement. I did not want to overstate the benefits of a dedicated amp as it can generate lots of "discussions", like..... All amplification should sound the same, etc.

Yes, I can relate to the benefits you are describing. I am running 225 watt mono blocks with my Sierra-2EX V2's and never need to worry about running out of power. Overkill? Probably, but I know firsthand what good power can do.

For your next upgrade definitely look into a 2nd sub!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6