Thread: CMT340se - mains vs center

Default CMT340se - mains vs center

Hello,

What are the technical design differences between the 340se mains and center?

Is tweeter rotated 90 degrees on the center?
    Any other technical differences?
    Can they be repurposed such as using a center vertically (rotating the tweeter) or using a main horizontally (rotating the tweeter)?

I'm sure it isn't that simple.

Thanks,

Ed

Default Re: CMT340se - mains vs center

The old SE or the newly announced SE2?

On either, the tweeter doe NOT need to be rotated.

For centers, the labeling on the back is oriented differently.

There may be small difference with the crossover on the older SE, but not the SE2. I will let Dave answer that one.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The old SE or the newly announced SE2?

On either, the tweeter doe NOT need to be rotated.

For centers, the labeling on the back is oriented differently.

There may be small difference with the crossover on the older SE, but not the SE2. I will let Dave answer that one.
    Interesting. I plan to upgrade from LR 200SE's to LCR with 340SE(2)'s.
    I would love to jump to the 340SE2's right away but budget dictates so it will have to be done in stages.

Option 1. Grab a used 340SE center or main to use as center temporarily and then repurpose for LR when I can upgrade to 340SE2 center.

Option 2. Stretch budget a bit and go for the 340SE2 now and wait a while to upgrade the the LR's.

Why not go for the 340SE2 LR now and repurpose one of the 200SE as a center till you can get a third 340SE2? Still too much for your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by edm14 View Post
    Hello,

What are the technical design differences between the 340se mains and center?

Is tweeter rotated 90 degrees on the center?
    Any other technical differences?
    Can they be repurposed such as using a center vertically (rotating the tweeter) or using a main horizontally (rotating the tweeter)?

I'm sure it isn't that simple.

Thanks,

Ed
    Hi Ed,

If you are referring to the new 340SE2, there are no differences between the left/right and center version, other than labelling. The dispersion of the tweeter is rotationally symmetrical, as such, rotating the tweeter is not necessary nor would it offer any performance change.

So to answer your question, yes, you can use a center vertically or a left/right horizontally and no changes would be needed on your end.

Hope this make sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Why not go for the 340SE2 LR now and repurpose one of the 200SE as a center till you can get a third 340SE2? Still too much for your budget?
    Yes, LR would be over budget until next year. (we just finished remodeling entire first floor and new furniture put us over the edge until we pay it off).

Usage is almost entirely cable TV and movies in a big open room. I have some hearing issues and hearing aids (that work pretty well) so I thought putting attention to good center would be a good first move.

It sounds like trying to stretch for the SE2 center now would be better than grabbing a used SE?

If the center really helps I can wait a bit to upgrade the LR's. I do have 2 subs.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Ed,

If you are referring to the new 340SE2, there are no differences between the left/right and center version, other than labelling. The dispersion of the tweeter is rotationally symmetrical, as such, rotating the tweeter is not necessary nor would it offer any performance change.

So to answer your question, yes, you can use a center vertically or a left/right horizontally and no changes would be needed on your end.

Hope this make sense!
    Great. Sounds like trying to grab a SE2 for center and wait a bit longer for the LR upgrade might be the better way to go rather than grab a used SE for temp use and repurpose.

Yes, LR would be over budget until next year. (we just finished remodeling entire first floor and new furniture put us over the edge until we pay it off).

Usage is almost entirely cable TV and movies in a big open room. I have some hearing issues and hearing aids (that work pretty well) so I thought putting attention to good center would be a good first move.

It sounds like trying to stretch for the SE2 center now would be better than grabbing a used SE?

If the center really helps I can wait a bit to upgrade the LR's. I do have 2 subs.
    Given your constraints, yes, that is what I would do if I were you (getting a new SE2 Center first).

I do have a pair of 340SE as my LR (augmented by a Ryhtmik L12 sub ) and I love them, but if I were to start now I would go for new SE2s rather than used SEs.
    Last edited by MusicHead; 12-06-2022 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Given your constraints, yes, that is what I would do if I were you (getting a new SE2 Center first).

I do have a pair of 340SE as my LR (augmented by a Ryhtmik L12 sub &#128515 and I love them, but if I were to start now I would go for new SE2s rather than used SEs.
    Sounds good. I am going to order one tomorrow.

Sounds good. I am going to order one tomorrow.
    I am sure you won't be disappointed!
    Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Main
    Rythmik L12 Sub
    55" LG OLED55CXAUA TV
    Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4K UHD Player
    Seiki SR4KP1 Region-free BD Player
    Roku Premiere+ 4k