Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 575859606162636465 LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

I can recommend with confidence, Amazon's World's Best Cables. I have several pairs of their balanced (XLR) cables, and a 6ft pair of their Canare Star Quad speaker cables.

Also, depending on your budget, and I know that the latest Class D amp offerings are popular, I use a pair of Van Alstine M225 mono block amps. I love them! They put out a rated 225W @ 8ohms and I believe around 350w or more @ 4ohms. They are compact, somewhat light, and do not get hot. I've had them playing at a good clip for hours and they get slightly warm to the touch. Only caveat is that they only accept a balanced connection.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

My class D amps (VTV Pascal) are the same - balanced only - but my processor has both XLR & RCA outputs so that's not an issue.

That said, if the OP's other equipment isn't balanced, he could always use RCA --> XLR cables (albeit w/o the "benefits" of XLR, which may not be needed anyways depending on how far his cables need to run). Alternately, there are devices that take an RCA signal and "convert" to XLR, like the Henry Engineering Matchbox or Angry Audio or ART (I believe) that vary in cost and performance.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

A bit off topic.

Since newbo101 has decided on ELX's....

Us Ascend owners that have experienced other brands know the high value of Ascend speakers.

That said, what do you think is a good ratio it terms of the cost of the speakers vs the cost of electronics (just amplification, pre and power, along with cables between the two and speakers, two-channel)?
    Last edited by curtis; 01-15-2024 at 09:12 AM.
    -curtis

Exclamation Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Us Ascend owners that have experienced other brands know the high value of Ascend speakers.

That said, what do you think is a good ratio it terms of the cost of the speakers vs the cost of electronics (just amplification, pre and power, along with cables between the two and speakers, two-channel)?
    Hi Curtis,

Ascend Sierra V2 RAAL Towers are 30% of my total 2-channel audio component investment! My power amp is 30%, with source (CDP), powered Sub and cabling taking up the last 40%!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

IMO, 30-50% on speakers for a 2 channel system. I no longer have a dedicated 2 channel processor. When I did, amp and sources (except TT) were shared between the both.

If I were to estimated, I'd say my Towers (including upgrades) were about 50% of the spend on 2 channel, assuming amp and 1 source cost not divided between HT & music.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 01-15-2024 at 09:25 AM.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Hi Curtis,

Ascend Sierra V2 RAAL Towers are 30% of my total 2-channel audio component investment! My power amp is 30%, with source (CDP), powered Sub and cabling taking up the last 40%!!

Ted
    Hi Ted.
    Nice!
    So your CDP also acts as your pre/amp?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    IMO, 30-50% on speakers for a 2 channel system. I no longer have a dedicated 2 channel processor. When I did, amp and sources (except TT) were shared between the both.

If I were to estimated, I'd say my Towers (including upgrades) were about 50% of the spend on 2 channel, assuming amp and 1 source cost not divided between HT & music.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same, but since I use my system for two-channel and multi-channel, I am afraid to do the math.
    -curtis

I hear you!
    I probably have more in my turntable (excluding phono pre) than my speakers or AVM90 cost, even buying most (if not all) b-stock or off an individual selling (i.e. I did pick up a Soundsmith Paua for 1/2 retail price from someone on the VPI forum several years ago - still in the box until I send my current for retip)

Exclamation Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Hi Ted.
    Nice!
    So your CDP also acts as your pre/amp?
    YES! With a new GaNFET Class-D 750wpc (peak power) Starkrimson Stereo Ultra power amp (2002), removed the Emo preamp (and its bass management) and driving the new system power amp with my CDP variable outputs. Discovered a wonderful New World of Sierra-2EX full range sonic reproduction!!

Thanks to Dave's inspiration and encouragement, in 2003 brought the Sierra RAAL V2 Towers into my small dedicated music room...Proved Dave Right! There is much more "sonic bliss and realism" offered from his newest/step-up speaker designs! With careful setup and room placement (towers raised 1.5"-baffle 1.5 degree rake-no toeing), have an extremely revealing, articulate, and LIVE 3D Holographic presentation that places me Inside the Recorded Venue...Truly Jaw Dropping! For me, in my room and with my large library of acoustical, instrumental, and vocal music, now have an End-Game Audiophile music system...the Best I've ever heard! I-AM-THERE!!!
    Last edited by theophile; 01-15-2024 at 12:00 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by CarloM View Post
    What's your desired sources, and signal chain? Mine vary slightly due to the source and pre-amp/DAC step, but always end with the Douk Audio MC-103 Pro XLR switcher to Buckeye Amp Purifi Class D to the ELX. Here are mine:

For Lossless and High Resolution Streaming (via Apple Music subscription, from 16/44.1 to 24/192)
    Chain: Macbook Pro > USB C cable > Topping DX5 DAC > BlueJeansCable (BJC) XLR > Douk Audio MC-103 Pro XLR switcher > BJC XLR cable > Buckeye Amp Purifi 2 channel Class D amp > BJC Ten banana cables > ELXs

For vinyl
    Chain: Turntable with MC cart > Schiit Mani 2 > BJC RCA > Denon 4500 AVR (has to be in here to switch between multiple sources) > BJC custom RCA to XLR cable > Douk XLR input switcher > BJC XLR > Buckeye amp > BJC Banana > ELX

For CD/SACD 2 ch physical media (SACD 5.1, DVD-A 5.1, and Dolby Atmos music is played on a different system):
    Chain: CD/SACD player > BJC RCA cables > Denon 4500 > BJC custom RCA to XLR cable > Douk XLR input switcher > BJC XLR > Buckeye amp > BJC Banana > ELX

I do not have anything other than some decent surge protection, years ago I had a respected (for the time) power conditioner I got used cheap from a fellow home theater enthusiast and couldn't really tell the difference. It's still on the home theater rig, but I didn't bother to buy power conditioning for the 2ch system the ELXs anchor.

I like BJC for well made cables that are reasonably priced. They're more expensive than the cheapest ones you can get on Amazon, but they're not anywhere near the price that boutique cable brands go for.

For acoustic panels I like ATS Acoustic. I ordered a small initial batch from Amazon just to see if I'd like them, and because with Prime it was an easy return if I didn't. Turned out I did like them, and ordered the rest direct from the company because I ordered some custom art designs. Like BJC they're a good combo of solid construction and affordable pricing.

I have nothing but praise for the Buckeye Amps Purifi Class D. I have a 2ch variant powering the stereo rig above, and a 3ch variant powering the front soundstage of the home theater.
    Thanks so much for the reply - the detail is very helpful. I’m planning for streaming and TV as the only sources for now, maybe expand later. So I’ve been leaning towards streamer that has HDMI (over optical) along with a separate amp - buckeye is my top choice. It’s not the simplest system but gives flexibility to upgrade/swap/expand with time.

On cables why do you choose 10awg vs 14, which i often see recommended?