Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Where on the site can I go to get pricing info for the horizon upgrade to the newer package?

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    Where on the site can I go to get pricing info for the horizon upgrade to the newer package?
    It is not on the site yet, likely within 24-48 hours.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    How will these compare for home theater use with the new 340’s? Would they work well together using the 340’s as surrounds?
    Yes, they will work very together. In fact, due to pure laziness, in our demo room rather than grabbing a different pair of speakers for rears - we moved our demo 340SE2 from the front to the rears and placed ELX towers as fronts and it was seamless.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEntropy View Post
    I caught up on the happenings over the last ~year at Ascend over the holiday weekend (via the forums).

Very happy for you all that you've really leaned into using the NFS and iterated at a furious pace (all while supply chains are still a mess).

I am in manufacturing myself and we started using a metrology grade CT scanner a few years back to similar excitement. We can now do in ~4 hours what used to take 80-120 with respect to dimensional metrology. It really changes what's possible WRT timelines, and therefore for projects in general.

Looking forward to the detailed announcements in the coming days Dave! This may even help motivate me to complete my "on hold" home theater (on hold due to personal reasons, fortunately not financial ones). While I still love my OG Tower/Horizon NrT setup, having something next level from Ascend to use in their place would be sweet and welcomed.
    Hey Neg!

It has been a while.

I wouldn't say the NFS actually speeds up the design process, a single scan takes about 6 hours on average and I have the NFS running nearly continuously these days. What it has done, and I know you can appreciate this, it has revitalized my passion for engineering and given me deeper insight as to being able to capture and describe what we hear using measurements.

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It ultimately comes down to dynamics, punch, bass extension and power handling. The ELX versions have remarkable dynamics, and near full range bass extension and can handle an insane amount of power. They are the perfect speakers for those who are looking for an endgame product that is ideal for critical music listening AND extremely dynamic home theater for any size room and easily hitting reference levels and beyond.

The differences in dynamics are immediately noticeable. ELX has all of the best attributes of our Sierra-2EX and Sierra-LX, and multiplies that. I would be comfortable putting the ELX up against ANY floorstander and ANY Center out there at basically any price point, including Revel F328BE, TAD Evolution 2, and even Revel C426BE center.

Every component in the ELX is top of the line and custom manufactured for us. And, all this performance in a tower cabinet that is quite a bit smaller than all the others.
    Why do you guys insist of using these small woofers in such big thing like a tower?
    I really wanna see measurements THD at 100dB, i wanna see if the thd its like the 328BE and its bass level.
    Last edited by 1question; 11-30-2022 at 05:17 AM.

Yes, they will work very together. In fact, due to pure laziness, in our demo room rather than grabbing a different pair of speakers for rears - we moved our demo 340SE2 from the front to the rears and placed ELX towers as fronts and it was seamless.
    Was this with the Titan or RAAL tweeter?

Quote Originally Posted by 1question View Post
    Why do you guys insist of using these small woofers in such big thing like a tower?
    I really wanna see measurements THD at 100dB, i wanna see if the thd its like the 328BE and its bass level.
    Have you ever heard or seen an LX woofer?

https://changpics.smugmug.com/Other/...es/i-83LXxnn/A

Quote Originally Posted by 1question View Post
    Are you the same person who continues making statements on other forums that we are using "midrange" drivers as woofers? (assuming you mean woofers designed for low frequency reproduction)

If that is you, you couldn't be any more wrong so please, just stop. I do hope you have some knowledge of transducer design in order to make such a bold statement, because cone diameter is not what determines the frequency bandwidth of a woofer.

A larger cone diameter can move air more efficiently than a smaller cone, but there are many other factors involved, such as excursion in combination with force, and our LX woofers have greater excursion and generate more force than most 7-8" woofers. In addition, they have the advantage of requiring less internal cabinet volume to reach the same low frequencies as well as having better directivity due to the smaller cone.

Sure, we could have went with 8" woofers, and gained a bit more overall efficiency, but the cabinet would be twice the size and as such, cost a ton more both in manufacturing and in shipping for the only benefit of having maybe 3dB higher sensitivity? Worth it? Not in my professional opinion...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Was this with the Titan or RAAL tweeter?
    ELX Ribbon Towers (RAAL 70-20xram)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Are you the same person who continues making statements on other forums that we are using "midrange" drivers as woofers? (assuming you mean woofers designed for low frequency reproduction)

If that is you, you couldn't be any more wrong so please, just stop. I do hope you have some knowledge of transducer design in order to make such a bold statement, because cone diameter is not what determines the frequency bandwidth of a woofer.

A larger cone diameter can move air more efficiently than a smaller cone, but there are many other factors involved, such as excursion in combination with force, and our LX woofers have greater excursion and generate more force than most 7-8" woofers. In addition, they have the advantage of requiring less internal cabinet volume to reach the same low frequencies as well as having better directivity due to the smaller cone.

Sure, we could have went with 8" woofers, and gained a bit more overall efficiency, but the cabinet would be twice the size and as such, cost a ton more both in manufacturing and in shipping for the only benefit of having maybe 3dB higher sensitivity? Worth it? Not in my professional opinion...

Yes I am, but it was only 1 forum and 2 post asking that (I already said in that place that I was the guy), in your website I can see the tower that I skiped. it's called '' SIERRA TOWER PAIR '' which use these 5.25'' woofers that i'm talking about

Someone corrected me before of you, he said this tower use a 6'' which is much better imho, I thinked the new tower are also going to use 5.25'', that the reason why i called them as ''mid ranges''.
    which is great to know that you are using a 6'' woofer at least, also a guy here posted a video showing the extra long-stroke, which is nice.

I aggre in your point of view, that being said you could use a 6.5'' / 7'', not a 8''. But at least these size woofer PLUS the long stroke would be extra nice, is a bit underwhelming if you have a very nice woofer but you nerf the size of the woofer in order to make the tower '' extra very slim/small '', there is a point when 20% more size doesn't matter, what really matter if the tower will make a bass that you will not miss a subwoofer.
    a 6'' midrange plus dual 7'' would be super extra nice in the costumer point of view. It's not necessary a 8''.

Just an opinion. I find very interesting the new tower with 6'' though. I thinked was the same idea because the mid range has the same size of the woofers, like the SIERRA TOWER PAIR, but that speaker is using 5.25'' mid range plus dual 5.25'' woofers, instead of 6'' mid range plus dual 6'' woofers from the new speaker.

What I'm trying to explain, is if a 6'' woofer can be equivalent to a 8'', make the woofer 6.5'' so you can take the advantage.

Looking forward to the new series, very interesting.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by 1question; 11-30-2022 at 05:49 PM.