Page 51 of 65 FirstFirst ... 4647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

I have a question. I have Sierra 1 speakers still, for over 13 years now and they still sound amazing to me, but I want to upgrade to these new towers.

I finally am no longer living in a condo and have a lot more room for bigger speakers. The room in my house that I have setup exclusively for listening to music and occasionally some TV (basement room) is about 16deepx24wide and my setup is with the speakers about 1ft to 18 inches or so from the back wall. I can't really put the speakers in the middle of the room like some speakers require.

My question is what is recommended for speaker placement from the side and back walls?

Quote Originally Posted by lolhahaha View Post
    I have a question. I have Sierra 1 speakers still, for over 13 years now and they still sound amazing to me, but I want to upgrade to these new towers.

I finally am no longer living in a condo and have a lot more room for bigger speakers. The room in my house that I have setup exclusively for listening to music and occasionally some TV (basement room) is about 16deepx24wide and my setup is with the speakers about 1ft to 18 inches or so from the back wall. I can't really put the speakers in the middle of the room like some speakers require.

My question is what is recommended for speaker placement from the side and back walls?
    You joined the forum in 2010 and I can tell by your name lolhahaha that you probably have matured quite a bit. Sorry I couldn't help it

For speaker placement, the ascend towers would sound pretty good close to walls, but will sound better and better the further you moved them away from them.
    TV: LG 65C8 - Receiver: Emotiva XMC-2 (9.1.4) - Blu-ray: UB820, x800m2 - Music: Sdtrans384 - Amp: Parasound A23 & A52+, Outlaw 7075 - LCR Speakers: Ascend Towers Raal ELX & Horizon RAAL ELX - Surround: (10) BG Radia PD-6i - Sub: Rythmik F18 - Power Cable: PS AC5, PS SC, Venom v14 - Speaker Cable: Furez - Interconnects: Neotech, Mogami, Pure Silver - Probe: Display Pro & i1 Pro2 - Software: Colourspace HTL & Rpi4 - Bias - MediaLight - Remote: Harmony Elite

Due to my room layout, my Towers are about 3' off the back wall. 1 is about a foot of the side wall, the other is about 2 1/2 feet off the side wall. My MLP is a bit off center of the room so speakers are essentially equidistant and at similar angle to it.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by lolhahaha View Post

18 inches is ideal, we generally have our demo pair of ELX towers spaced 18 inches from the wall behind them. Rule of thumb is to space rear ported speakers a minimum of 2x the port diameter from the wall behind them. In the case of our ELX, the port diameter is just slightly larger than 2". If you are using them with a sub and crossed at 80Hz, 1/2 that distance is OK.

Even 12 inches is plenty of clearance

For side walls, it won't matter much as side-wall reflections are absolutely OK with the ELX, they add to the speaker's remarkable spaciousness.

Hope this helps and please feel free to reach out directly if we can be of any additional assistance.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    Hello Dave,

I have a pretty big room, 27'wide, 16' ceilings, 30 plus deep, open to the house, and am producing plenty of seamless base using one sealed F 15" Rythmik sub with my ELX/Titan converted towers . I previously had sub crossover set at 80 with my old towers but now w/ ELX Titans have been moving lower, currently at 60 and sounding amazing, as you're suggesting. And regarding measurements, that's really not my thing as I'm more of how it sounds to me guy... I'm probably missing out, I guess.

The bottom line is, I feel like I have a new set of $8K plus speakers for the price of a $2K upgrade, thanks to you and Dina. Unbelievable really. Have a nice day.
    So happy to hear this, it is absolutely our pleasure and thank YOU for putting your confidence in us Also, don't hesitate to even try lower crossover points...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEntropy View Post
    Question for Dave or owners of ELX Raal and Sierra-LX:

I plan to upgrade my OG NrT towers to ELX and get Sierra-LX for surround duty.

Need the LX surround for the vertical dispersion (plus, frankly they seem like ideal movie surrounds

80% home theater/games, 20% music.

Unknown if I'll take a liking to surround music or just use 2.x or 3.x when doing music.

Would the Raal ELX towers and Horizon blend well with Sierra-LX surrounds or should I stick with the ELX Titan tower and horizon upgrade so all the tweeters match?

For music listening, tastes are very varied from classical (from only strings to full symphony), and classic rock, modern pop, rock and metal of various types - basically everything but country and rap.

I know the LX tweeters are solid for rock/metal, but thinking I'd like to experience the Raal for classical and acoustic guitar (though piano and french horn are my favorite old school instruments).

Thoughts?
    Sierra-LX blend extremely well with ELX Towers as fronts. The Titan dome sounds very similar to the big RAAL and that is one of the main reasons we chose it. This is really an ideal combination since most listeners are not able to place surrounds at ear-level, so they need the wider vertical dispersion of the LX.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Sierra-LX blend extremely well with ELX Towers as fronts. The Titan dome sounds very similar to the big RAAL and that is one of the main reasons we chose it. This is really an ideal combination since most listeners are not able to place surrounds at ear-level, so they need the wider vertical dispersion of the LX.

Hope this helps!
    It does, thank you Dave. That's the route I'll go.

Exclamation Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by hilde45 View Post
    Excellent review, Hilde44!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thank you, Ted!