Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by Natural1 View Post
    Hmm... You may be right, but the reason I say that is because the cabinet width on the Sierra bookshelf is the same as the towers (7.5"). The bookshelf mid/bass drivers are 6", but the towers currently have 5.25" bass drivers.
    Oh yeah....but the Titan was a drop in replacement in the bookshelf.
    -curtis

Patiently waiting on the option details to see what the damage to my credit card will be.

Was waiting for this announcement. My credit card is already twitching. lol.
    Speakers: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Rythmik L12 sub
    Pre/Amp: HK3490 (120w)
    Source: Schiit Modi 3+, Tidal HD

Quote Originally Posted by Natural1 View Post
    Hmm... You may be right, but the reason I say that is because the cabinet width on the Sierra bookshelf is the same as the towers (7.5"). The bookshelf mid/bass drivers are 6", but the towers currently have 5.25" bass drivers.
    The Sierra-1 drivers (first things in that cabinet width) are 5.25". Dave has simply managed to get 6" drivers into the same physical space for the EX and LX models.

From the photos on AVS, it appears that this is exactly what is going on again—the old bass drivers were 5.25" but the 6" EX and LX drivers fit in the same openings.

So I'll also be really surprised if there's a new, wider Tower cabinet.

My guess is two versions with RAALs and two versions with Titans.

From the AVS pictures (those are here, by the way), it appears one of the four options will be the current RAAL 70-20 with the EX woofer as the midrange driver and the LX woofers as the bass drivers.

My guess for option #2 will be the same mid/bass config but with Titan tweeters.

I wonder if the other two options will be the current mid/bass drivers just with new crossovers, RAAL and Titan tweeters, maybe? I guess we'll know soon.

This would kind of track with 4 new Horizons, too. RAAL and Titan with new crossovers but same mid/bass drivers, and then RAAL and Titan version with EX and LX drivers.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Fantastic news. Been waiting for the tower upgrade. Just need to know what the damage is going to be so I can start saving. . .
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    HT Set-up: Anthem MRX-740, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower V2, Luna Duo V2 Center, Luna surrounds, Revel M55XC Heights, Rythmik F12
    Desktop/Gaming Set-up: Pioneer MRX-740 8K, Sierra LX LR, Ascend Luna V2 Center, Cambridge Minx Min 12 heights; Rythmik F12

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    My same reaction haha. Very curious to see what all these new versions are! One of them will likely be my end-game living room setup.
    Yep - 4 versions of the towers and horizon.

There will be the ultimate high-end version, which we are calling ELX Towers and ELX Horizon, of which there will be 2 options, our Titan dome or our custom 70-20xram RAAL Ribbon

ELX Ribbon Tower & ELX Ribbon Horizon

ELX Titan Tower & ELX Titan Horizon

There will also be the standard version, using the same bass woofers and midwoofer.

Ribbon Tower V2 and Ribbon Horizon V2

and also

Titan Tower and Titan Horizon. The Titan tweeter is a better dome tweeter than our NrT for this application and as such, we are replacing the NrT dome with the Titan.

The Titan Tower and Titan Horizon will be compelling options due to being price competitive.

All towers and horizons will be using optimized versions of the new crossover.

There will also be upgrades available, however - these upgrades are time consuming and complicated, and will require soldering.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by 617 View Post
    Dave, is this a series crossover by any chance? Or series for the woofer mid network? I'm a passive filter fan and I'm curious what you managed to do here. 3 way series networks are very unusual.
    I would categorize this as a combination series-parallel crossover. Very difficult to get right and the idea for this topology has been burning a hole in my brain for 2+ decades. Thankfully, over the past year (18 months?) we have invested heavily in our R&D and as such, have the right tools to get this complex design exactly right.

I am not sure if I will publish details as to how we optimized this, but doing so required quite a bit more analysis and testing than just acoustic measurements performed by the Klippel NFS, we had to dig deep into direct electrical analysis and the transfer functions as well.

It was extremely satisfying for me to get this idea out of my head and into a working product.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I can tell waiting for Reserved7 to change into a post and the shopping cart to show up online is going to be harder than waiting for Santa to come on Christmas Eve

Definitely interested in those ELX Ribbon Towers.

quick question for future posts maybe - I read about the crossover upgrades and phase improvements/etc. if we already thought the Horizon Center was pretty much perfect for movies and tv dialog, what is it missing that we haven't yet heard? Assuming we listen to music in 2.1, that is? Do any vocal frequencies go across the crossover frequency regions of the old Horizon where that gets noticeable? Or do you think folks who are going to be interested in upgrading their centers going to be more using it for music also? It seems in most surround programming the center is (mostly?) speech, even music/atmospheric content usually goes to the left and right when it's not panned, but obviously some content might not stick to that. hope that question makes sense?

Looks like I guessed right. Blind squirrel and all that.

Dave, you can assume early summer I’ll be ordering an ELX Titan Horizon. If there are Titan upgrades (sidegrades?) for the Duos then a pair of those, too.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

ELX RAAL Horizon sounds pretty awesome. I have a feeling that one will be spendy. Lol. Can’t wait to see what pricing is so I can figure out how far I can go.