Page 18 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Will the upgrades be added to the website or is the only way to order via phone?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    This is correct, this was in regards to distortion measurements. I would expect our frequency response measurements to be quite close to other Klippel NFS measurements of the same speaker. There will always be slight differences, the NFS is certainly not a plug-n-play device. Mic positions (tweeter point, starting point), expansion points, # of measurement points all matter, but we are talking a few dB differences at most.

THD measurements are not anechoic, as such the environment and measurement technique used matters a lot. At some point, I do plan on discussing / developing a reliable and repeatable methodology with Amir for using the NFS for measuring THD such that his results would be repeatable by others.

Here is an example.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf THD measured by Erin:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...1m%29.png?dl=0

SVS Ultra Bookshelf THD measured by Amir:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...sur-png.76210/

Both are at 96dB but there are some significant differences.
    Thank you Dave. Not only are you creating off-the-chart value for your customers, someone is finally fact-checking what Amir is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    The thread you reference is worth reading. King Klippel is no longer at the top of the food chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Thank you Dave. Not only are you creating off-the-chart value for your customers, someone is finally fact-checking what Amir is doing.
    We get it, you have an axe to grind. Suggesting potential collaboration to improve repeatability between two users of an NFS for distortion measurements as "fact-checking" of "King Klippel" isn't on the level. Maybe you should consider that people devoting their time and money to provide valuable free content doesn't deserve your condemnation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazb0t View Post
    ......Maybe you should consider that people devoting their time and money to provide valuable free content doesn't deserve your condemnation.
    Just as long as we understand that, although there is plenty of "Free content" available out there, some of it is certainly worthy of condemnation, per se! There is plenty to throw under that bus, but let's leave this thread to discuss the fantastic products offered by Dave & Co.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Has anyone else gotten the upgrade and have installed them? Any further reviews? I put in an order Friday and waiting for it to be shipped so I know there's been a number of people have been getting theirs. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on them as I anxiously wait!

Quote Originally Posted by wtrimble View Post
    Has anyone else gotten the upgrade and have installed them? Any further reviews? I put in an order Friday and waiting for it to be shipped so I know there's been a number of people have been getting theirs. I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on them as I anxiously wait!
    I ordered Sierra-2EX V2 crossover upgrade kits Monday. Just got my tracking number yesterday. should have them by Wednesday, hopefully sooner.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have had a few days now to listen to my recently upgraded ELX Towers and Horizon speakers. I thought maybe its time to post some basic impressions, don't expect anything too technical!

Some history first. I was lucky enough to own the very pair of Ascend Towers. I started out with the Nrt dome tweeter and later revised them to utilize the RAAL. Not long after that upgrade, the RAAL Horizon came along. Throughout their tenure, I have always loved the Towers! They provided enough output, clarity, and enjoyment for many years! I always knew they could be improved upon, especially as technology advances with time.

So move ahead to this past summer and I was vacationing with my family in San Diego and opted to take a journey north to the Ascend HQ's. I finally was able to meet Dave, Dina, Curtis, Mitch, and a few other folks in person. We were able to hear the ELX Towers in the demo room, and also using Dave's A/B switching device, compared them to the previous Towers. The difference was NOT subtle by any means.

So after receiving the ELX upgrade components, I got to work last weekend installing them! Sadly my cabinets on all three speakers had smaller woofer openings which required some woodworking to get the new LX woofers to fit. Luckily the dremel with a small sandpaper bit did the trick. I did have some very minor paint chipping around the cutout, but again, very minor and tough to see from more than a foot or so away. It took me all day to cut out the 6 LX openings, desolder the old crossovers, and re solder the new ones in along with the EX woofers etc. Not the most exciting venture but worth it.

So how do they sound? HUGE is the best word that comes to mind! The size of the soundstage they project and the output they are capable of is astounding! I was easily playing tracks from 12 feet away at 100db with headroom to spare. How they fill the room with sound is leaps and bounds better than the previous towers. The old towers felt like the sound was beaming at you and the ELXs just disperse the music all around you...this is what was most evident while at ascends demo room. The highs are obviously the same. As for the mids, I feel like I've gained additional clarity, resolution, and some more "heft" to vocals and music. As for the bass, well, its also dramatically improved. While I don't often play them full range, I did mess around with them this way for a few tracks and was very impressed. They could easily satisfy most 2 channel aficionados without the need for subs. Me on the other hand, subs are a must for both music and movies of course. I have dual Rythmik 18" subs which I EQ using a mic and REW. Once setup properly, there is no going back. The subs add so much depth and ease the workload from the Towers allowing me to play at crazy volumes without the worry of wrecking something

After messing around with REW and taking many different measurements, I settled on a 80hz setting in my yamaha 5200 preamp for movies and a 50hz setting on my parasound p7 preamp for music. Both of which measure the flattest in room. The room measures flat down to 15hz with no loss in output, its pretty crazy! I will attach some pics of my measurements.

So overall, I am extremally pleased with the ELX speakers in my setup. I have owned nearly every single ascend speaker and iteration and these blow me away! Granted, I dont go out of my way to listen to much else, but I have to imagine these would be tough to beat, both subjectively and objectively considering the measurements Dave's pasted form the klippel and everyone's feedback thus far.

Thanks again to Dave and Dina for allowing me to buy these and demo them over the summer(Cayden says hi too). LOL. Next up.....the 340SEv2's in my garageP7 50HZ ELX TOWERS.jpgELX TOWERS 60 AND 80HZ.jpg

The first pic is running the towers with a 50hz XO through my P7. the 2nd pic is the ELX's run at both 60hz & 80hz through my yamaha. I only posted the measurements to about 500hz. I did take some full range ones but did not post yet.

here is the full sweep of the ELX towers (with subs) in my living room

For refence, Im using the miniDSP Umik-1 and REW. Not the Klippel, ha!ELX TOWERS 60 AND 80HZ FULL SWEEP.jpg

I do need to run measurements without the subs at some point....the wife and 9 year old sort of limit my opportunities to do so.
    Last edited by merrymaid520; 12-08-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    here is the full sweep of the ELX towers (with subs) in my living room

For refence, Im using the miniDSP Umik-1 and REW. Not the Klippel, ha!ELX TOWERS 60 AND 80HZ FULL SWEEP.jpg

I do need to run measurements without the subs at some point....the wife and 9 year old sort of limit my opportunities to do so.
    Hey Brandon,

Can you run a sweep of the ELX towers run full range, no subs and no EQ? Curious how closely they will match the predicted in-room response.

Thanks so much!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hey Brandon,

Can you run a sweep of the ELX towers run full range, no subs and no EQ? Curious how closely they will match the predicted in-room response.

Thanks so much!
    You and Curtis are requesting the same, ha! I may be able to tomorrow.