Page 44 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: We Saved The Best For Last!

Default Re: We Saved The Best For Last!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I don't have a video either.

I have to agree with everything billy p said. The Towers are much easier than the Horizon and having the right tools will help, as well as Dave's tip on using painter's tape to secure the screw to screwdriver. I did place the Horizon x-over towards the left as per the instructions (although placing more towards the center as billy suggested will probably help as long as no clearance issues & wires are long enough). There is one screw on the back of the x-over/tweeter enclosure side that is tough to do - can't see it, not a lot of room, and the x-over has the second tier on this side. My issue was the stubby screwdriver I was using was a bit too short despite my trying stubbornly for an hour to get it to work. Got a slightly longer screwdriver and that helped a lot but still took some time as the screw kept falling (the tape trick would probably had sealed the deal and saved a lot of time).

That said, with patience and the right tools / tricks, you should be able to get it done in a couple of hours working slowly.
    How about soldering? I have never done it. I was so wondering how difficult that would be.

My first attempt at soldering, since high school...removing the existing wire from old crossover offers some practice. Some pointers within this thread from Dave...just add solder to the tip and keeping it clean...speeds up the melting for de soldering & re soldering. Mine weren't perfect(like on the board from Ascends) but the hold was strong+ secure...the provided instruction documents are excellent, offer some pointers and/or tips....furthermore, contact AA if you encounter difficulties.
    Last edited by billy p; 03-27-2023 at 04:37 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I'd never soldered before. I did practice desoldering/soldering on my old Luna Duo cross-over..not so difficult. The Tower/Horizon cross-overs were easy enough to desolder the wires from the old and solder to the new. When desoldering, after the solder starts to melt pretty good, just pull the wire out (careful as it may be warm). When soldering, make sure you push the new wire in all the way and you can position it/cross-over to hold in place (or use your hand or a tweezers). Mine were pretty good (not perfect like on the Ascend boards). Probably better than billy p's (LOL - Just kidding, billy :-) )
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    i'd never soldered before. I did practice desoldering/soldering on my old luna duo cross-over..not so difficult. The tower/horizon cross-overs were easy enough to desolder the wires from the old and solder to the new. When desoldering, after the solder starts to melt pretty good, just pull the wire out (careful as it may be warm). When soldering, make sure you push the new wire in all the way and you can position it/cross-over to hold in place (or use your hand or a tweezers). Mine were pretty good (not perfect like on the ascend boards). Probably better than billy p's (lol - just kidding, billy :-) )
    ...haha...
    Last edited by billy p; 03-28-2023 at 02:28 AM.

The horizon is definitely a little more challenging than the towers.

Buy this at a local harbor freight and use a small 1.5-2” extension with the correct Phillips bit and the install will go so much easier. Also blue painters tape to retain the screw helps!

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piec...SABEgKf__D_BwE

I would caution to not make the same mistake I did and place the crossover too far forward preventing the driver from seating properly into the cutout. I had to undo all the screws and move the crossover back to clear the driver. So I basically did the install of the crossover two times on the horizon, still managed to finish in ~90 mins. Soldering is straight forward and the tips provided here make it easy.

Kind Regards,
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by parmodmehta View Post
    How about soldering? I have never done it. I was so wondering how difficult that would be.
    I don’t have the towers but I have a lot of experience soldering because I used to DIY speakers and amps when I was younger. A few tips:

- Don’t skimp on the soldering iron. I started with some cheap RadioShack soldering iron and quickly upgraded to a Hakko. You’re going to be spending a lot on the kit, might as well buy good quality tools to make the job a little easier.
    - There’s a ton of YouTube tutorials that walk you through soldering best practices, including those on audio equipment. Take some time to watch them and get familiar with what’s needed.
    - Practice. If you have old speakers you can get familiar on them.

Soldering really isn’t hard if you learn the basics. Just make sure you don’t grab the wrong end of the soldering iron when you’re first getting started…talking from experience!

Happy to report that ELX Ribbon and ELX Titan towers are now on our website.

Please have a look and report any issues or important feedback directly to us via email or phone call.

Thank you!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Happy to report that ELX Ribbon and ELX Titan towers are now on our website.

Please have a look and report any issues or important feedback directly to us via email or phone call.

Thank you!!!
    Looks good to me, Dave.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Looks great! Just made it even harder to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    Looks great! Just made it even harder to resist.
    Dave casts spells....lol
    Audio woodoo magic
    He traps our souls inside of his bamboo speakers
    I'm one of the... trapeee
    Right now I'M negotiating to sell one of my kidneys to pay for a pair of his RAAL ELX Towers...

Apparently it's an Audio Heaven if you own ASCEND speakers.
    But it is a pure Audio Hell if you don't...yet!
    I think that I'm in the Purgatory right now