Thread: LCR selection and placement

Default LCR selection and placement

Hello,

I am slowly building my first system. I am currently using HTM200SE's for Left and Right fronts with two powered subwoofers. I want to add a center. What would be my best option?
    1. CMT340SE2 (would there be noticeable improvement over the matching HTM200SE?)
    2. HTM200SE center
    3. HTM200SE upright

Thanks in advance.
    Ed

Default Re: LCR selection and placement

Quote Originally Posted by edm14 View Post
    Hello,

I am slowly building my first system. I am currently using HTM200SE's for Left and Right fronts with two powered subwoofers. I want to add a center. What would be my best option?
    1. CMT340SE2 (would there be noticeable improvement over the matching HTM200SE?)
    2. HTM200SE center
    3. HTM200SE upright

Thanks in advance.
    Ed
    How big is your room?

”Slowly” building…what would the end of the build look like?

That said, the 340 is MUCH more speaker than the 200. If aspire to have 340s up front, then I would definitely do the 340 as a center, and later get 340 for L/R and move the 200s to surrounds.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    How big is your room?

”Slowly” building…what would the end of the build look like?

That said, the 340 is MUCH more speaker than the 200. If aspire to have 340s up front, then I would definitely do the 340 as a center, and later get 340 for L/R and move the 200s to surrounds.
    Hi Curtis,

Thanks for responding so quickly. I guess I should have elaborated on "slowly" building. We have been remodeling our first floor (ourselves) for the past few years. Finally coming to an end. While doing the remodeling I started collecting components as the budget would allow. I first picked up a pair of HTM200SE's. I then found a Yamaha receiver (tsr-7850). Lastly I picked up two Premier Acoustic PA 120 subs. Not super high end audiophile pieces but I think they can do the job for an entry level living room system. So the first part of "slow" was it took almost two years to collect what I have so far. The second part of "slow" is I think if I am smart with picking the components I can move them around and upgrade as time goes on.

You hit it right on as I was thinking of upgrading and moving components around. The 340's could eventually replace the 200 in the front and move the 200's to surrounds.

The living room is a long rectangle (15 x 30) with the TV and speakers in the middle of an open room to the kitchen/dining room. Literally about 7' wall space between the other rooms. Seating to TV/speakers is the short length (15').

I am going to play around with the sub locations but thinking of putting them on the side walls (half way) facing each other.
    I recall the 340's, 170's and 200's had similar timbre so the could be mixed in the front. It sounds like the new 340 went through a big change. Assuming it is still ok to match the new 340 with the 200 I would assume there would be a benefit over the matching 200 center given the big space we have to fill.

15' to the speakers is not a short length.

Yes...the 340, 170, and 200 all timbre match.

I would go the 340 center route.
    -curtis

Yes it is a big room. Speaker to ear is about 10'.
    I will go the 340 route.
    Thanks again!

100% agree. With that listening distance and the size of the room, 340SE2 center is the best choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    100% agree. With that listening distance and the size of the room, 340SE2 center is the best choice.
    Thanks Dave.