Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from James

Default Hi from James

Hi to all,

I've been lurking on here for some years now, and finally registered.

My system:

Adcom GTP-400 preamp
    Adcom GFA-535 amp
    Cambridge Audio Azur 740C CD player (and DAC)
    Qobuz through an I-pad to an Audioengine B-Fi to the CA Azur DAC
    Ascend Sierra Towers with NrT tweeters

My wife and I met in a Celtic band, and performed together for a while also as a duo. We listen to classical music, jazz, Celtic, some new age (Liz Story, for example), some world music, and some softer rock stuff (Eagles, etc.).

We got the Adcom and Cambridge Audio equipment and have had it for quite a while, then went through a number of speakers, including PSB, Monitor Audio and KLH, and we also experimented with some active speakers - Mackie and Samson.

The Ascend towers are the first tower speakers we've ever had, and they're very satisfying speakers. Better in pretty much all aspects than our previous speakers - overall neutrality, bass extension and articulation are particularly noticeable.

I could see them being our "forever speakers", but I'm also curious about others, like Vandersteen, and the newest LX speakers from Ascend.

I'll be posting in other threads now - see you there :-)

Default Re: Hi from James

Welcome to the forum!!
    -curtis

Thanks - it seems like a nice community.

Hi James! I agree, the Sierra towers are very satisfying! I replaced SVS Ultra towers with mine and have been very happy. I'm very impressed with their dynamics. I was concerned they wouldn't sound as big and discovered that my concerns were unfounded.

Welcome, James.
    Nice system.

I have the Towers with RAAL (along with S2, Horizon w/ RAAL, and 3 pair of HTM200's, plus a preorder in for the LX to check these out).
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks ra.

I'll be interested in your comparison of the LX and towers.

Also, if anybody has listened enough to both Vandersteen and Ascend speakers, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them. The towers are excellent, and I don't think I could do any better, even for twice the price, with conventional (high order crossovers, bass reflex port, multiple drivers) speakers. But the Vandersteens, with the time/phase coherence and transmission line bass, are a bit different.

The speakers that I'd get if it were feasible would be the Vandersteen 1Ci, to compare them with the dome Ascend towers.

Pogre, I looked at some SVS speakers, and they were pretty close to the Ascends, but I liked the soft dome tweeter better than the metal ones.
    Last edited by James; 03-23-2022 at 01:31 PM.

Hi James

Not sure if I'll open them. Wife and I are in process of buying some property in Brazil (she's Brazilian) for retirement (at least part time) and thinking of bringing them down there once we close and either build a house or renovate one of the ones on the property.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Ah - I see.

I looked into a bunch of other countries for possible expat retirement - Costa Rica scored very high on my list.

But for a number of reasons we're staying here.

I strongly considered Costa Rica, as well. Along with Panama (never been but my research indicates it is also a good place for ex-pats) and Thailand (one of my favorite places in the world). CR is a beautiful country and friendly people. Brazil, obviously for us, as her family is there.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I strongly considered Costa Rica, as well. Along with Panama (never been but my research indicates it is also a good place for ex-pats) and Thailand (one of my favorite places in the world). CR is a beautiful country and friendly people. Brazil, obviously for us, as her family is there.
    Nice going for you guys....my sister in law moved to David area in Panama....we're strongly considering doing likewise....lots of ex pats (both US n Can) in select communities...had planned to see them this past January and stay for 3wks but that was changed....due to covid....returned the other day from LV....trying to get back into Canada...was a real PITA.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.