Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

I should get mine Wednesday next week

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    First official production run of 340SE2 nearing completion. I am excited to get these out there, the level of performance these offer for the price is unprecedented!

You can also see (2) ELX Ribbon Horizons ready for testing...
    Dave, really leaning towards the new 340 SE2 like you suggested but I want to be sure since these will be forever speakers for me. How does the new 340SE2 center, off axis clarity, compare to all of the Sierra line centers? I rather have someone that has actually heard them rather than simply going by a graph.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Dave, really leaning towards the new 340 SE2 like you suggested but I want to be sure since these will be forever speakers for me. How does the new 340SE2 center, off axis clarity, compare to all of the Sierra line centers? I rather have someone that has actually heard them rather than simply going by a graph.
    I just took a look at the ascends centers measurements, the 340 is good for 30 degrees off axis. What surprise me is how wide the sierra 2ex are. I think these are second best , behind the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    I just took a look at the ascends centers measurements, the 340 is good for 30 degrees off axis. What surprise me is how wide the sierra 2ex are. I think these are second best , behind the horizon.
    Listen, in the automobile world there's a saying there's "no replacement for displacement" Well same logic here. The 340SE2 has two 6.5 inch drivers vs the single 6' driver of the Sierra centers. It seems logical the Horizon is the top center with the 340SE2 being the second best for medium to large size rooms. I wish I could listen to all of them but obviously that's impossible and I hate to just go by measurements alone because that's not going to tell you how they sound.

Listen, in the automobile world there's a saying there's "no replacement for displacement" Well same logic here. The 340SE2 has two 6.5 inch drivers vs the single 6' driver of the Sierra centers. It seems logical the Horizon is the top center with the 340SE2 being the second best for medium to large size rooms. I wish I could listen to all of them but obviously that's impossible and I hate to just go by measurements alone because that's not going to tell you how they sound.
    That old saying has no ground in modern loudspeaker technology. The only advantage a larger driver gives you is, in most cases, higher efficiency.

If you are looking for very high output levels

Horizon > 340SE2 center > Sierra-LX center > Sierra-2EX V2 center

If you are looking for best off-axis performance:

Horizon > Sierra-2EX V2 center > Sierra-LX center > CMT-340SE2 center

If you are looking for overall best tonal balance / accuracy

Horizon > Sierra-2EX V2 center = Sierra-LX center > CMT-340SE center

What performance characteristics are most important to you?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    That old saying has no ground in modern loudspeaker technology. The only advantage a larger driver gives you is, in most cases, higher efficiency.

If you are looking for very high output levels

Horizon > 340SE2 center > Sierra-LX center > Sierra-2EX V2 center

If you are looking for best off-axis performance:

Horizon > Sierra-2EX V2 center > Sierra-LX center > CMT-340SE2 center

If you are looking for overall best tonal balance / accuracy

Horizon > Sierra-2EX V2 center = Sierra-LX center > CMT-340SE center

What performance characteristics are most important to you?
    Dang Dave, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!! They are all important to me. I have to say right off the bat I'm surprised the 340SE2 finished last in the tonal balance/ accuracy. Let me ask you. If I was to get the 2EX V2 as my mains or even the LX; Can I use the Horizon as my center??

I'm not Dave, but having owned all of those speakers, if you can fit the Horizon into your space and budget, get the Horizon.

Removed
    Last edited by ahender; 12-18-2022 at 08:06 AM.

Listen, in the automobile world there's a saying there's "no replacement for displacement"
    Speakers are not cars. Here's the cabinet that many bass guitarists consider the best-sounding:

It's the Phil Jones Bass C8. 5" drivers. Phil Jones (a bass player and electrical engineer who started in hifi speakers) explains why here:

Honestly, I'm not sure it even applies to cars anymore, either. My car's 4-cylinder 2.0L engine makes 300bhp.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Depends on the vehicle. More displacement more torque to get the vehicle moving. Plus can make more power with bigger engines with less impact on engine life.

Now back to Ascend Speaker upgrades
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD