Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Is the vinyl wrap the same finish as before where it matches the pedestal stands?
    Yes, same PVC wrap.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    What are the differences when choosing between horizontal and vertical options for the center speaker?
    No differences other than how we orient the product labels.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    Are port plugs included and what low end response can we expect when the port is plugged. Thank you!
    We do not include port plugs, nor would they ever be needed with the 340SE2. These speakers are not designed for deep bass, they are designed for high efficiency, accuracy, high spl's and dynamics.

We recommend using 340SE2 with a subwoofer, thus setting the speakers to small and using the recommended 80Hz high pass (crossover). The rear port is tuned to ~50Hz, as such the port would barely be functional if you are concerned about placement due to the port.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't follow you - they absolutely agree with each other.

Bass extension (low frequency extension) is the point where the bass response is 6dB down. It is actually a bit lower than we published (should technically be 58Hz, i need to change this)

Anechoic frequency response has nothing to do with bass specifications, anechoic frequency response indicates the bandwidth of the speaker that falls within +/- 3dB

Typical In-room bass extension is usable bass output in a typical room, which includes typical room gain (usually a gain of ~6-10dB)

Perhaps you can clarify, what are you confused about?

Hello Dave,

thanks as always for chiming in and being willing to educate. It is one of the great perks of hanging around this forum!

I guess part of the confusion is because in my (simple ) mind I see the -6db response as being further down the curve "to the left" in a +/- 3db FR plot. Hence my obviously flawed expectation that for a given lower frequency limit at +/- 3dB, it would be even lower (not higher) at -6dB.

From what you are saying, my "reasoning" would be valid if comparing for example a +/- 6dB FR plot with one at +/- 3dB, but NOT when comparing the +/- 3dB FR with the -6dB Bass Extension.
    Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Main
    Rythmik L12 Sub
    55" LG OLED55CXAUA TV
    Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4K UHD Player
    Seiki SR4KP1 Region-free BD Player
    Roku Premiere+ 4k

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    I guess part of the confusion is because in my (simple ) mind I see the -6db response as being further down the curve "to the left" in a +/- 3db FR plot. Hence my obviously flawed expectation that for a given lower frequency limit at +/- 3dB, it would be even lower (not higher) at -6dB.

From what you are saying, my "reasoning" would be valid if comparing for example a +/- 6dB FR plot with one at +/- 3dB, but NOT when comparing the +/- 3dB FR with the -6dB Bass Extension.
    My pleasure!

Unfortunately, I am still not following you.

340SE2 is spec'd with a -3dB at 71Hz, this means 71Hz is 3dB lower than average amplitude. -6dB is at 58Hz, which is lower in frequency than 71Hz, not higher. Where are you seeing that the -6dB specification is at a higher frequency than the -3dB spec?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

My pleasure!

Unfortunately, I am still not following you.

340SE2 is spec'd with a -3dB at 71Hz, this means 71Hz is 3dB lower than average amplitude. -6dB is at 58Hz, which is lower in frequency than 71Hz, not higher. Where are you seeing that the -6dB specification is at a higher frequency than the -3dB spec?
    Good morning Dave. Thanks again for keeping up with me and my thick head 😆.

I was mistakenly comparing the lower end of the In-Room response (45Hz) with the Bass Response (58Hz). Now I get it...

Good morning Dave. Thanks again for keeping up with me and my thick head ��.

I was mistakenly comparing the lower end of the In-Room response (45Hz) with the Bass Response (58Hz). Now I get it...
    AH - got it. Yes, I know things can be a bit confusing with specifications these days. There is an effort to now standardize these types of specifications, fully based on Klippel NFS measurements and/or accurate measurements taken in an anechoic chamber.

Most speaker manufacturers just publish completely exaggerated and meaningless specs. We are part of the small but growing group to publish meaningful and accurate specifications.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, hope you, your family and the folks at Ascend had a great Thanksgiving.

One last question on the specs 😄: I suppose the In-Room response in the "Specifications" section is intended to be at +/- 3dB?

Thanks again. The wheels are spinning and I am thinking that the 340SE2 would do great as my new mains and I could move my 340SE to surround duty.

Dave, hope you, your family and the folks at Ascend had a great Thanksgiving.

One last question on the specs 😄: I suppose the In-Room response in the "Specifications" section is intended to be at +/- 3dB?

Thanks again. The wheels are spinning and I am thinking that the 340SE2 would do great as my new mains and I could move my 340SE to surround duty.
    We had a very nice Thanksgiving, thank you! Hope the same for you and yours!

It is not possible to provide a +/- dB rating for an in-room specification. The response of a speaker in a room, due to reflections and room modes, will often exhibit +/- 10dB swings (often it is even higher) and this will vary wildly from one room to another.

Typically, an in-room specification is based upon "usable" frequency range.

I do not recommend shopping for speakers based on comparing these specifications. They are meaningless when comparing one manufacturer to another, unless that manufacturer backs up their specifications with actual anechoic measurements. They also have absolutely no representation as to what a speaker will sound like.

We currently publish the most accurate and detailed measurements for our speakers of any passive speaker manufacturer. These are what you should be using to determine if a speaker is right or wrong for you. If you do not understand what these measurements mean, your best starting place is here:

https://www.sausalitoaudio.com/wp-co...ama-Charts.pdf
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

It is not possible to provide a +/- dB rating for an in-room specification. The response of a speaker in a room, due to reflections and room modes, will often exhibit +/- 10dB swings (often it is even higher) and this will vary wildly from one room to another.

Typically, an in-room specification is based upon "usable" frequency range.

I do not recommend shopping for speakers based on comparing these specifications
    Thanks again Dave. I just wanted to understand how to "read" the specs. Like you wrote, what you publish is more detailed than most. I never shop based only on specs comparison. Having a pair of CMT-340SE, supported by a Ryhtmik L12 ( of which I am 100% satisfied) and knowing how they sound, I have no doubt that the 340SE2 can only sound better.

By the way, thanks for the link. I am a great admirer of Dr. Toole and following with interest Dr. Olive. So much to learn and so little time...