Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Just installed a new front sound-stage consisting of 3x 340SE V2 vertically oriented behind an AT screen in a moderately treated, dedicated room. I am an audiophile of 35 years and an Audiologist of 25yrs. I wanted to comment on this product. Significant improvement in both accuracy and imaging!! They are replacing JTR triple 8's up front.. which boast significantly higher power handling and sensitivity. So, I was a bit apprehensive about the 340's. But, there is plenty of dynamic capability here for almost all applications (unless your room is particularly large).... and fantastic accuracy to boot. It's a bit speculative for me to ascertain how much of this improvement is the new Ascend's versus the installation of the screen wall (happened simultaneously). But, the overall result was a much better sounding system. I am very impressed with David's objective approach to speaker design and his honesty is publishing all of these measurements. I simply cannot believe that he is offering a product....with this type of engineering.....for this kind of money. I have not spent any time listening to music yet. But, that's coming. Thank you for sending these all the way to New Zealand! Keep up the good work!
    ... and just in case you are considering it.... a 2nd version of the HTM-200 which has been optimized for use in a half space environment would be awesome
    Last edited by allanf714; 08-06-2023 at 04:17 PM.

Default What's the ideal crossover setting for 340SE2!!!

Hi All,

Hope everyone's doing great! I have been enjoying high fidelity music (in my living room) to my heart's content ever since I bought the 340 SE2 as my main (L+R) channels. I had qualms about bass, so I ended up adding a sub as well.

Then I still wanted better quality music, I ended up upgrading my AV receiver on my living room to a flagship model from marantz.

I had performed audyssey calibration couple of times and have been tweaking the sound settings to get the best possible output. I wanted to get tight integration with my sub, after trying many different settings, I did settle on 90 Hz as the mains crossover. I did try lower numbers, but found this to be the ideal.

Am I making a mistake? Any opinion on this? I use the below-mentioned setup predominantly for music, some times watching sports..

Regards,
    Ram
    Marantz AV8802, Emotiva BasX A3, Ascend 340 SE2, Monoprice THX 10
    Last edited by ksr_sundar; 08-14-2023 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: What's the ideal crossover setting for 340SE2!!!

If that sounds best to you, then that should be fine. I purchased the $20 app that allows more control of Audyssey. I like the results a lot better when only calibrating from 300hz and down
    Nate

There is no ideal. It really depends on the acoustics of your room, what they are connected to, and personal preference. I have run XT32 a couple of times since installing mine. Audyssey chose FULL RANGE for all three 340 SE2's both times. But, I pulled them up to 80Hz b/c I have plenty of subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by ksr_sundar View Post
    Hi All,

Hope everyone's doing great! I have been enjoying high fidelity music (in my living room) to my heart's content ever since I bought the 340 SE2 as my main (L+R) channels. I had qualms about bass, so I ended up adding a sub as well.

Then I still wanted better quality music, I ended up upgrading my AV receiver on my living room to a flagship model from marantz.

I had performed audyssey calibration couple of times and have been tweaking the sound settings to get the best possible output. I wanted to get tight integration with my sub, after trying many different settings, I did settle on 90 Hz as the mains crossover. I did try lower numbers, but found this to be the ideal.

Am I making a mistake? Any opinion on this? I use the below-mentioned setup predominantly for music, some times watching sports..

Regards,
    Ram
    Marantz AV8802, Emotiva BasX A3, Ascend 340 SE2, Monoprice THX 10
    Hi Ram, there really is no right or wrong with this, every room and even positioning will have an effect on what is the ideal crossover point. If 90Hz sounds best, stick with it
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by allanf714 View Post
    Just installed a new front sound-stage consisting of 3x 340SE V2 vertically oriented behind an AT screen in a moderately treated, dedicated room. I am an audiophile of 35 years and an Audiologist of 25yrs. I wanted to comment on this product. Significant improvement in both accuracy and imaging!! They are replacing JTR triple 8's up front.. which boast significantly higher power handling and sensitivity. So, I was a bit apprehensive about the 340's. But, there is plenty of dynamic capability here for almost all applications (unless your room is particularly large).... and fantastic accuracy to boot. It's a bit speculative for me to ascertain how much of this improvement is the new Ascend's versus the installation of the screen wall (happened simultaneously). But, the overall result was a much better sounding system. I am very impressed with David's objective approach to speaker design and his honesty is publishing all of these measurements. I simply cannot believe that he is offering a product....with this type of engineering.....for this kind of money. I have not spent any time listening to music yet. But, that's coming. Thank you for sending these all the way to New Zealand! Keep up the good work!
    ... and just in case you are considering it.... a 2nd version of the HTM-200 which has been optimized for use in a half space environment would be awesome
    So happy to hear that you are enjoying the 340SE2!!! Thank you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave, how come you didn't improve the bass extension of these speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    Dave, how come you didn't improve the bass extension of these speakers?
    At the sacrifice of a considerable amount of efficiency and/or a much larger cabinet?

340's have always been about high efficiency and high output, and have always been optimized for use with a sub, so what would be the point of having deeper bass extension while sacrificing the key performance characteristics that make the 340's what they are?

If you are looking for speakers for use without a sub, this would be our Sierra line.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    At the sacrifice of a considerable amount of efficiency and/or a much larger cabinet?

340's have always been about high efficiency and high output, and have always been optimized for use with a sub, so what would be the point of having deeper bass extension while sacrificing the key performance characteristics that make the 340's what they are?

If you are looking for speakers for use without a sub, this would be our Sierra line.
    I was just wondering. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these speakers. Any EQ suggestions and do you recommend an 80 or 100 crossover? Another question also how does this new tweeter compare to the tweeter you use to use for the towers before the Titan Dome? I forget the name right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    I was just wondering. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on these speakers. Any EQ suggestions and do you recommend an 80 or 100 crossover? Another question also how does this new tweeter compare to the tweeter you use to use for the towers before the Titan Dome? I forget the name right now.
    For 340SE2, I recommend an 80Hz crossover - however, depending on your room gain and placement, you might try going as low as 60Hz.

Tweeter in the 340SE2 is excellent and I am fully confident you will love these speakers.
    Last edited by davef; 09-08-2023 at 07:08 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com