Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
    I’m just super concerned with off axis performance of anything I get. I know most regular MTM designs where the speakers are all lined up generally aren’t good for off axis performance. My wife sits at about 45° off center.
    The 340SE (and presumably the 340SE2) is good for a horizontally-oriented MTM center, due to its relatively low crossover frequency, but 45° off-axis is way too extreme for it (unless your wife happens to be sitting in a "good lobe" and stays in place). The 200SE, with its small, closely-placed mid-woofers (enough to displace even its neodymium tweeter with its tiny face plate), is effectively almost a TM configuration when oriented horizontally, so it just might work for 45°, albeit it would be the weak link and limiting factor in your front sound stage.

Would it be possible, in your home theater, to orient a 340SE2 center vertically instead? I have a similar issue, so I use three 170SEs across the front, all oriented vertically, including the center, and this has worked very well for me. Generally, it is always best to use vertically-oriented speakers at the front, including the center, especially if you need wide horizontal dispersion, as you clearly do. I've been away from this subject online for several years now, so I don't know how people think these days, but over time I've caught a bunch of people orienting their MTM centers horizontally when they didn't have to! Some of them even had the speakers mounted on the wall behind an acoustically-transparent front-projection screen (so aesthetics weren't an issue), with the left and right oriented vertically and the center oriented horizontally. D'oh! Of course, I advised them to remount the center vertically, but it took some doing to convince some of them that center speakers didn't have to be oriented horizontally, and shouldn't be whenever it's possible to avoid. People just seemed to have the impression that it had to be that way. I've even had people tell me that I mounted my center speaker incorrectly.

By the way, the 200SE is kind of an odd case because, especially when used as a center, it works better when it's horizontally oriented, as that's when it's effectively sort of vertically oriented, with the tweeter above/below the small, closely-placed mid-woofers. I recall, years ago, recommending to several people who only had room/accommodation for a sound bar at the front to buy three 200SEs instead, and orient them all horizontally (with as much space between them as possible). This configuration makes for a darn good sound bar substitute, I think. For most home theaters, it is best to orient the left and right front 200SE speakers vertically with their tweeters on the inside, and the center should always be oriented horizontally, and there are reasons for this, but if they're close together and the seating area is wider than their placement, then orient them all horizontally and make a sound bar out of them. Other SE speakers all work best at the front when oriented vertically. And surrounds are a completely different consideration that depends on the overall configuration.

@dread pirate robert, do you have polars to backup the 200SE dispersion/orientation info you provided? Most interested as I want to see if these would cover my surround/atom seating needs.

The HTM200's work well for surrounds/ATMOS. I still use them for ATMOS but moved my S2's to surround duty when I upgraded the fronts to RAAL Towers.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Default 340SE2 vs Duo V2 LCR as mains

Hello,

I'm new to the forums and relatively an audio noob. I'm coming from cheap monoprice satellites I got years ago so I'm sure either option will be impressive.

Without having heard a ribbon tweeter before, I'm really eyeballing these new CMT-340SE2 mini towers as mains. I'm really attracted to the sensitivity as I like to listen quite loudly sometimes. However, I'm wondering if the Duo V2 LCR is a fair comparison? They are double the price. Would they be significantly better? I'm sure the sound accuracy is much better, but curious if in my situation it would be worth it as I feel what I even have now sounds "ok". These CMTs look like they punch with a much higher sensitivity than the ribbons.

For information, I have a PSA TV1512 sub to handle the lower frequencies, so I'm not worried about the low ends. Do movies and music about 50/50, and have a mid sized living room. Using a generic Denon 5.2 AV receiver for power.

Thank you guys for any insight.

Default Re: 340SE2 vs Duo V2 LCR as mains

krogers321

Although I've not heard the 340's, based on your comment about the monoprice satellites being "ok", I'd probably go with the CMT's as they are well reviewed and an extremely good value. Ultimately down the line, if you want to go to Ribbons or even the Sierra LXs, you could move the 340's to surround.

You should also call Ascend to chat about your needs. They'll recommend what's best for your situation.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by krogers321 View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to the forums and relatively an audio noob. I'm coming from cheap monoprice satellites I got years ago so I'm sure either option will be impressive.

Without having heard a ribbon tweeter before, I'm really eyeballing these new CMT-340SE2 mini towers as mains. I'm really attracted to the sensitivity as I like to listen quite loudly sometimes. However, I'm wondering if the Duo V2 LCR is a fair comparison? They are double the price. Would they be significantly better? I'm sure the sound accuracy is much better, but curious if in my situation it would be worth it as I feel what I even have now sounds "ok". These CMTs look like they punch with a much higher sensitivity than the ribbons.

For information, I have a PSA TV1512 sub to handle the lower frequencies, so I'm not worried about the low ends. Do movies and music about 50/50, and have a mid sized living room. Using a generic Denon 5.2 AV receiver for power.

Where are you located? Perhaps you can audition some speakers.

I second calling Ascend -- they are very helpful.
    Last edited by mziegler; 02-01-2023 at 07:59 AM.

Hello,

I have owned the 340SE (not the "2") as my mains for several years and love them. My system is also a double duty one, music/movies, and felt the 340SE was the best fit.

I have an AVR too, an old Emotiva Fusion 8100, the high sensitivity of the 340SE complement it very well. With the Rythmik L12 sub taking care of the low end it makes for a very pleasant and balanced sounding system, way above average in my opinion, especially factoring in the relatively modest total cost.

A Duo V2 LCR would for sure yield a more refined sound, but unless you listen fairly close and/or have a small room, if you like it loud and you plan to stay with your Denon AVR, the 340SE2 (with an even higher sensitivity than the 340SE) would be my choice.

Plus, as already suggested, you can move the 340SE2 to surround duty should the upgrade bug bite you in the future.
    Last edited by MusicHead; 02-01-2023 at 08:25 PM.
    Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Main
    Rythmik L12 Sub
    55" LG OLED55CXAUA TV
    Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4K UHD Player
    Seiki SR4KP1 Region-free BD Player
    Roku Premiere+ 4k

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    I have owned the 340SE (not the "2") as my mains for several years and love them. My system is also a double duty one, music/movies, and felt the 340SE was the best fit.

I have an AVR too, an old Emotiva Fusion 8100, the high sensitivity of the 340SE complement it very well. With the Rythmik L12 sub taking care of the low end it makes for a very pleasant and balanced sounding system, way above average in my opinion, especially factoring in the relatively modest total cost.

A Duo V2 LCR would for sure yield a more refined sound, but unless you listen fairly close and/or have a small room, if you like it loud and you plan to stay with your Denon AVR, the 340SE2 (with an even higher sensitivity than the 340SE) would be my choice.

Plus, as already suggested, you can move the 340SE2 to surround duty should the upgrade bug bite you in the future.
    I second MusicHead.. I had owned CMT 340SE for a long time in my theater, just loved the music reproduction by these (Crystal clear mid's and highs). I had to give them up for a friend of mine.

But missed them so much that I ended up buying the SE2 and having a great time with them. They are much more warmer!

I would definitely think you may not need to upgrade if you have a SE2 with a proper sub. Anything more expensive, the difference is going to be marginal.

Hello,

Hi Krogers321,

A few quick questions:

1. How far back will you be sitting from the speakers?

2. What are your overall room dimensions?

3. Which model Denon are you using?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

1. Sitting about 9-12 feet back

2. The room is roughly 19 feet wide by 9 feet high ceiling to 30 feet long (it opens up into the kitchen)

3. It is just a Denon AVR-S540BT.

Thanks!