Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Our CMT-340SE has long been one of our most revered products. First introduced back in late 2002, and then later upgraded to the SE version in 2006, our 340’s have remained extremely popular with a customer satisfaction rate averaging over 99%.

It has been said by many that our 340’s are one of the best bang-for-buck products in the audio industry. We agree.

Things are about to change, our 340 will no longer be considered a budget speaker, offering a level of performance that can easily compete with other manufacturer’s products at any price point.

Taking full advantage of the capabilities our Klippel NFS offers, we spent months analyzing not only the fully assembled 340SE, but deep analysis of each individual component. Our NFS was subjected to near 24/7 usage over the course of several months, logging hundreds of thousands of individual measurements. All these results were then analyzed using advanced proprietary modeling resulting in a set of parameters that would provide MAJOR performance improvements.

I am most proud to introduce our new Klippel NFS optimized CMT-340SE2

CMT-340SE2-pairforum.jpg

Every component of the 340SE has been optimized and redesigned for a single purpose, performance.

Woofer:
    The original 340SE woofers were fully designed by me, from the unique cone material, damping treatment, motor system, to even the basket frame. These woofers served us well for 20 years, but analysis technology has greatly improved since then and we are now proudly and firmly at the forefront of this emerging science.

As good as the original 340SE woofers were, our analysis revealed areas where overall performance could be improved.

We were able to reduce moving mass resulting in +2dB higher efficiency and better transient accuracy. To compensate for the lighter mass, we went with a different damping treatment for the cone which provides better overall damping and stiffness, resulting in improved directivity, less cone resonance and lower distortion. Overall frequency response is smoother with improved directivity.

Tweeter:
    To match the now higher efficiency of the woofers, it was necessary to change the motor system of the original 340SE tweeter. SEAS recommended a more powerful magnet, no ferrofluid in the gap, and a slightly shorter voice coil. The results were exceptional, the new tweeter looks the same from the front (same excellent SEAS textile dome) but this version has higher efficiency, lower distortion, a more linear frequency response and improved high frequency extension. It sounds smoother and does significantly better with complex passages compared to the previous version.

Cabinet:
    To reduce cabinet resonance, we have gone with a much higher density MDF resulting in the unassembled cabinet weighing 40% more than the previous version. We have also changed the port tuning and gone with a flush mounted flared rear port tube which results in less port noise.

While not a performance improvement, we have also gone with a cleaner more modern look with a truly seamless cabinet design combined with fully magnet grilles. The visual improvements are stunning!

Crossover:
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words – so here you go:

This is a massive 14 element advanced NFS optimized crossover that just barely even fits into the cabinet. You typically see crossovers of this size and complexity in large 3- or 4-way tower speakers selling for $3K and higher.

In summary, the 340SE2 now has a sensitivity of 92dB anechoic, 96dB typical in-room. This firmly places it into the category of high efficiency, but without any of the drawbacks of HE speakers. It is a rather unique entry. Excellent dynamics, very low distortion, wide horizontal dispersion and extreme accuracy and neutrality, optimized for an exceptionally accurate in-room response.

So how does it sound?

In a word, controlled and extremely dynamic – even at ear-shattering volume levels. Midbass is more pronounced and punchier, mids are warmer – lusher, smoother and less in your face compared to the 340SE. Highs are more detailed and clearer with much better control.

The overall presentation is much more spacious, easier to listen to and the overall balance from lows to highs is more natural. Vocals sound great and are not as forward, giving the 340SE2 a good sense of depth. Every performance aspect has been greatly improved aside from bass extension (which remains the same).

Did I mention the price tag?

We are in tough times, especially for manufacturing. Nearly all speaker manufacturers are looking for ways to reduce manufacturing costs while simultaneously raising retail prices in order to maintain their profit margins. We have done something most economists would consider a bad move, we have completely ignored the state of our economy and general business recommendations, and significantly increased our manufacturing costs for the 340SE2.

We designed the 340SE2 to be competitive against everything offered from our many competitors regardless of price points or category (tower, bookshelf, high efficiency, music speaker, home theater speaker etc.). This is THE EVERYTHING speaker, terrific at everything you could ever throw at it. We would likely sell a ton of these if we retailed it at $999 per pair, or even $1499/pair – but times are tough for everyone right now, so we have made a decision that is for sure to truly anger our accountant…

From now through the end of the year – we are going to offer the 340SE2 for only $698 per pair + shipping. For a Klippel NFS designed speaker that delivers this level of performance at this price point is, to be perfectly blunt, simply unheard of.

Please, DO NOT draw assumptions as to the 340SE2 performance due to its ridiculously low introductory price. The 340SE2 costs us about twice as much to manufacture compared to the 340SE and we will absolutely be raising prices very soon, possibly by a large amount. We wanted to do something special for this holiday season and here it is.

Please use the 340SE2’s excellent measurements to do any comparisons, its retail pricing is by no means a reflection of performance or component quality.

The 340SE2 is a true performance benchmark at under $1K/pair. Please get orders in quickly – 340SE2 will start shipping in an estimated 3-weeks.

Oh - did I mention low distortion?

340SE2dis86.gif

340SE2dis96.gif

At 96dB SPL, THD is averaging ~ 0.3% (50dB less than the fundamental), even below 100Hz. This is a remarkable achievement for any speaker at any price.

As always we thank you for your interest!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: And here it is, the 340SE2!!!

Very well done! The speakers look sexy af!!

Quote Originally Posted by slip023 View Post
    Very well done! The speakers look sexy af!!
    Thank you - they are big, bold and badass!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Well done dave! I’m excited to receive my pair in a few weeks. I know they sound great��

I’m really tempted to order a trio to compare to my Horizon/ center S2EX L/R setup I have now for home theater usage.

Hi Dave,

Are you going to be offering a center channel version of the new 340SE2 at launch as well?

I currently have the original Sierra S2s for my front speakers in my main room, and then 170SEs for my surrounds. I have been more than happy with the S2s for the last 7+years, and I've recently been considering upgrading the S2s with the newer EX version 2 upgrade kits.

However, these new 340SE2s have caught my eye and I am now contemplating moving my S2s to another room, and instead putting the new340SE2s in their place in my main HT/music room. I don't see a center version available for ordering yet, so I wanted to see if this is going to be forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Hi Dave,

Are you going to be offering a center channel version of the new 340SE2 at launch as well?

I currently have the original Sierra S2s for my front speakers in my main room, and then 170SEs for my surrounds. I have been more than happy with the S2s for the last 7+years, and I've recently been considering upgrading the S2s with the newer EX version 2 upgrade kits.

However, these new 340SE2s have caught my eye and I am now contemplating moving my S2s to another room, and instead putting the new340SE2s in their place in my main HT/music room. I don't see a center version available for ordering yet, so I wanted to see if this is going to be forthcoming.
    The 340SE2 center is now on the site. Couldn't get it completed yesterday, had to confirm a few measurements first.

Happy to know that you have been enjoying your Sierra-2 for so long now - I 100% recommend doing the S2 to S2EX V2 upgrade. As good as the Sierra-2 was - the latest version is significantly better
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Looks great! I'm assuming a center version in the works, as well? I suddenly have a desire to upgrade my front soundstage...
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Quote Originally Posted by drewface View Post
    Looks great! I'm assuming a center version in the works, as well? I suddenly have a desire to upgrade my front soundstage...
    Dave is a master at creating desire... or better yet, creating NEED!

I could be wrong but this appears to be the first upgrade that doesn't involve a kit but rather a whole new speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Hi Dave,

Quote Originally Posted by drewface View Post
    I would imagine the center is no different than the mains, but I am sure Dave will let us know.
    -curtis