Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATS acoustic panels

Default ATS acoustic panels

For those folks interested in adding some acoustic panels to their home theater setup, I thought I'd share this because I've been able to try two different brands recently.

- In my music setup (synths and DAWs and stuff) I've had some GIK acoustic panels for some time. These are pretty good, though the finish is a bit rough around the edges in some places (i.e.) loose. They have sawtooth hangers.

- I went with ATS for my home theater just based on wanting to try something else out. ATS Acoustic panels were cheaper, come with a VERY nice installation template, and "Z Clips" and drywall anchors so they are really secure and straight. They have a printed template for putting in the anchors so it makes it really easy to hang them straight and perfect the first time (especially with a laser level).

If you are on the fence, I'd vote for ATS. I haven't compared one against the other in the same "sound" setup, but I think they made a lot of improvements for my home theater in a small room. I think I paid extra for the "Guilford of Maine" commercial fabric so I can't speak to the others. Delivery was pretty quick and they were well packed.

Default Re: ATS acoustic panels

Good comparison. I’ve got GIK panels and definitely agree the finishing is rough. On some of mine, they couldn’t even put their name tag on straight

Ha yeah, labels on my GIKs were totally crooked too ... I'm not sure if they peeled off originally but I did peel them off like last month so might want to try if you haven't already!

I have a mixture of ATS, Acoustimac, and GiK in various rooms. They all seem about equally good to me in terms of fit and finish and doing the job they are intended for. I pick the vendor based on who has the color/size I want for the best price. To a first approximation, if I need a single standard-size panel I order from ATS, if I need a bunch of standard-sized panels I order from GiK, and if I have a weird size I order from Acoustimac.

The one place where I think GiK wins is that I cannot express enough how much I hate z-clips. I've reached the point that when I buy from ATS or Acoustimac, I just buy sawtooths and hang with those. Takes about a third the time and a quarter of the hassle.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Just a wee bump here...looking at advice for acoustical panels for a smallish room 16x11x9. I'm looking at two 24x48s on FL of display and perhaps two 12x48s above and below my display and Horizon. I've watched some tutorials but none of them relate to my room/or dimensions...in principle the same laws apply...especially the FR mains must be equal distances side2side and back2back creating that equilateral triangle in the primary LP. This is only a baseline setup, not considering corner bass modules or diffusers on ceiling(at this time)..so, considering the room size...what do you gentleman advise?

Thanks
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I know GIK will make recommendations - why not call or email them with the details and what you are looking at? The other vendors probably do the same.

Just to clarify, the 2 24x48s - both on the FL or did you mean one on either side of the display (FL/FR)?

Not sure the shape of your room or furnishings, but what about the 24x48s or the 12x48s at the first reflection points?

Also, maybe a 2x2 Monster bass trap (GIK name) behind your sub, depending on placement, room, etc?
    Last edited by racrawford65; 03-06-2023 at 05:06 PM.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Sorry yes...FL-FR of display. Apologizes for the photos. Left photo AV area...Right photo the layout. Please note the sub location is beside my left tower. That location, angular wall, is the most excitable...having run tests in the past...bass is more centered and exacerbated...even by a few inches of movement. Essentially, its between the credenza & left tower...I'd like to get under wraps...once I connect everything.

In hindsight...the custom art panels I was considering would have looked nice but costly...maybe... I have to rethink this plan and consider bass trap and, heavy drapes for the shutters at this time....I reckon panels are more for reflection points which I can address later...

1234.jpg123.jpg
    Last edited by billy p; 03-06-2023 at 06:20 PM.

Yes, the art panels are nice but expensive - I had considered those. Good idea to work on getting the bass under control better with traps. As I recall, that's what GIK recommended to me as a starting point. FWIW, my room is 16x12x11 (11 is average height as ceiling is trayed). Essentially open to den on the left and dining room behind. I've put a tri-trap in each of the front corners and a 2x2 monster trap behind each sub (1/4 & 3/4 points on front wall). I've also got 4 244 panels (24x48x4), 2 of which I've mounted at the front corners (on each side wall, sitting on top of the tri-trap). The other 2 are in the corners in the rear dining room. So far, wife hasn't complained about those but I may move them at some point (perhaps mount on front wall behind my entertainment center).
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Yes, the art panels are nice but expensive - I had considered those. Good idea to work on getting the bass under control better with traps. As I recall, that's what GIK recommended to me as a starting point. FWIW, my room is 16x12x11 (11 is average height as ceiling is trayed). Essentially open to den on the left and dining room behind. I've put a tri-trap in each of the front corners and a 2x2 monster trap behind each sub (1/4 & 3/4 points on front wall). I've also got 4 244 panels (24x48x4), 2 of which I've mounted at the front corners (on each side wall, sitting on top of the tri-trap). The other 2 are in the corners in the rear dining room. So far, wife hasn't complained about those but I may move them at some point (perhaps mount on front wall behind my entertainment center).
    Robert sent you email...thanks for taking time...I know, you're overseeing things at home, Rio and upgrading the speakers...frist and foremost.

saw that and replied briefly. let me know if you want to chat further on the acoustic panels.... yes, eagerly awaiting my ELX upgrade kits to arrive...