Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Is there any benefit to using the 2EX cross over on an S2 and it's original woofer?

If I upgrade to V2, I can give the old crossovers to my brother, who I gave a pair of original S2's to.

Thx
    The mid-woofer is also different.

Quote Originally Posted by sliang View Post
    I use my 2EX with a SVS SB2000 Pro sub crossed over at 80 Hz. I listen to rock, some jazz and pop, and classical. I also use it for movies/video in a 2.1 configuration. Will I see a benefit with the V2 upgrade?
    I think so, but with your listening preferences you would benefit more with the LX upgrade.

That's what I'm hoping!

That's what I'm hoping!
    Oh, so he will buy the woofers and you give him the crossovers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sliang View Post
    I use my 2EX with a SVS SB2000 Pro sub crossed over at 80 Hz. I listen to rock, some jazz and pop, and classical. I also use it for movies/video in a 2.1 configuration. Will I see a benefit with the V2 upgrade?
    The most audible difference between V1 and V2 is that V2 has more linear "smoother" horizontal dispersion. It isn't "wider" - just more linear at off-axis angles. This makes the speaker sound more spacious in most rooms. That and the V2 is a bit warmer with just a small bit more midbass compared to V1. It doesn't matter if using with or without a subwoofer, the differences are not in that frequency range.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I thought LX's were a totally different series with different cabinets but just realized that's wrong and there are two choices to upgrade an S2.

Probably this is a Dave question but why would someone upgrade a S2 or S2EX to an LX? What's the criteria for deciding to go from an S2EX to an LX instead of a V2?
    Same reason why someone would go from say a Lamborghini Huracan to a BMW M8... Different use. The LX sounds like a large tower speaker when fed enough power, it has great detail and is very spacious, with shocking dynamics. However, it doesn't quite reach the levels of detail or intimacy that Sierra-2EX V1/V2 can deliver with certain types of music.

FWIW, I'll try the V2 upgrade because a) I'm already invested in the S2EX and b) I'm somewhat skeptical. Also, if the V2 crossovers are of value to an original S2, then I can give the old crossovers to my brother.
    EX crossovers are designed to match with our EX woofers. If your brother has Sierra-2's (not Sierra-2EX), it is best to stick with the original Sierra-2 crossover - which uses a very different woofer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Or will the LX also be fine as far as not giving me listening fatigue? I'm not sure what is wrong with my ears, but the Sierra 2's have seemed to fix the problem and I don't want to upgrade and end up with listening fatigue all the time.
    LX will definitely NOT cause you any listening fatigue. While the Titan dome is a metal dome tweeter, it is an Aluminum / Magnesium alloy. The addition of Magnesium, which is extremely stiff and light, pushes the breakup modes (ringing) to nearly 30kHz, well out of the range of human hearing. This characteristic is what makes Beryllium tweeters so popular (a true Be dome pushes the resonance mode to about 35kHz).

Combining that characteristic with its extremely wide dispersion - this tweeter sounds more like a RAAL ribbon than even other brand ribbon tweeters. If you don't experience listening fatigue with your Sierra-2, you definitely won't with LX
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I currently have S2EX up front and Luna's as surrounds and am considering either V2 or LX. I listen to everything from classical to Porcupine Tree. I can only use my Denon X4500H to power all five speakers. Would that be enough power at 10 feet away to experience the benefits of the LX? I only listen at moderate to loud volumes, nothing crazy. Whereas before it seemed almost everyone preferred the LX, does the V2 close the gap some?
    Absolutely enough power for LX or Sierra-2EX V2
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow, I’m happy I decided to swing by and see if anything was new on the forum. I was about to purchase LX upgrade kits for my EX V1s, but now think I’ll just upgrade them to EX V2s. I already have a pair of LXs, and variety is the spice of life, right?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    LX will definitely NOT cause you any listening fatigue. While the Titan dome is a metal dome tweeter, it is an Aluminum / Magnesium alloy. The addition of Magnesium, which is extremely stiff and light, pushes the breakup modes (ringing) to nearly 30kHz, well out of the range of human hearing. This characteristic is what makes Beryllium tweeters so popular (a true Be dome pushes the resonance mode to about 35kHz).

Combining that characteristic with its extremely wide dispersion - this tweeter sounds more like a RAAL ribbon than even other brand ribbon tweeters. If you don't experience listening fatigue with your Sierra-2, you definitely won't with LX
    This was not the answer I was expecting. Now I have a more difficult decision. Following your suggestions though, since I use them mostly for home theater and rock music I think the LXs might be the best for me. Thank you.