Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    Or will the LX also be fine as far as not giving me listening fatigue?
    Only you know for sure how your ears will respond, so my experience may not match yours. For me, the LX domes are the first metal domes I've ever heard that didn't give me at least some level of listening fatigue. I have some PSBs with aluminum domes that do quite well, but even with those I notice a little ringing if I listen too loud for too long. I listened long and loud to the LXs as part of that review before I made them my main daily speakers and so far all is well.

Personally, for HT I definitely think the LXs are the better speaker than the EX V1, but I haven't heard the V2 yet.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I have a pair of Sierra 2's and I am trying to decide between an LX upgrade kit or a 2 EX V2 upgrade kit.
    I thought LX's were a totally different series with different cabinets but just realized that's wrong and there are two choices to upgrade an S2.

Probably this is a Dave question but why would someone upgrade a S2 or S2EX to an LX? What's the criteria for deciding to go from an S2EX to an LX instead of a V2?

I saw your answer re Rock then LX vs Jazz&classical then V2, but honestly speaking, that's extremely subjective. If most of my music is rock&jazz&classical&electronic what then?

I suppose for marketing purposes choices are good, but to me if one sounds better and is measurably better, then the other is obsolete.

FWIW, I'll try the V2 upgrade because a) I'm already invested in the S2EX and b) I'm somewhat skeptical. Also, if the V2 crossovers are of value to an original S2, then I can give the old crossovers to my brother.

Thx :-)
    Last edited by Blingleberry; 09-29-2022 at 12:31 PM.

After considering either a V2 crossover upgrade or the LX change for my Sierra 2 EX, I'm beginning to realize that these new versions present a different experience. Dave's statement : "More spacious sounding, a bit warmer with more detailed mids, and a slight touch of added midbass"

Its not really a case of which is better but that they have different strengths.. The LX has more bass and slam and room filling vertical response while the EX V2 presents a spacious warm sound with more detailed and added midbass.

Choices are good!

We're all waiting to hear first-hand impressions from people's living rooms!

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I'm gonna need a few more hours in the day for a review at that level to be viable any time in the near future...
    I think we'd be happy with a few thoughts about the differences with the EX-V2s when you get them. Thanks for what you've already done
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Only you know for sure how your ears will respond, so my experience may not match yours. For me, the LX domes are the first metal domes I've ever heard that didn't give me at least some level of listening fatigue. I have some PSBs with aluminum domes that do quite well, but even with those I notice a little ringing if I listen too loud for too long. I listened long and loud to the LXs as part of that review before I made them my main daily speakers and so far all is well.

Personally, for HT I definitely think the LXs are the better speaker than the EX V1, but I haven't heard the V2 yet.
    My speakers prior to having Sierra 2s were Axiom Audio M22s. It was unpleasant listening at -30dB and I ended up the last couple of years using closed captions and doing only -35 to -40dB. Then I sold them along with the VP150 and QS8 surrounds, after realizing that having speakers I can’t actually listen to is a waste. Fortunately I was able to sell them for just about enough to cover the cost of the Sierra 2s. I couldn’t be happier with listening fatigue being gone mostly.

I have CMT 340s, and HTM 200 surrounds in a different room and they are not as easy on my ears as the Sierra 2s. Nowhere near as bad as the Axiom speakers, but I need to be a little more cautious with the volume than the Sierra 2s. -30 dB is fine with the SE series speakers for much of the day. With Sierra 2s I can do -20dB movie marathons and things are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    I thought LX's were a totally different series with different cabinets but just realized that's wrong and there are two choices to upgrade an S2.

Probably this is a Dave question but why would someone upgrade a S2 or S2EX to an LX? What's the criteria for deciding to go from an S2EX to an LX instead of a V2?

I saw your answer re Rock then LX vs Jazz&classical then V2, but honestly speaking, that's extremely subjective. If most of my music is rock&jazz&classical&electronic what then?

I suppose for marketing purposes choices are good, but to me if one sounds better and is measurably better, then the other is obsolete.

FWIW, I'll try the V2 upgrade because a) I'm already invested in the S2EX and b) I'm somewhat skeptical. Also, if the V2 crossovers are of value to an original S2, then I can give the old crossovers to my brother.

Thx :-)
    Per Dave earlier in this thread:
    “ It very much depends on listening habits and music genres. The S2EX V2 is the more detailed speaker and is best for acoustic music, jazz, most classical. The LX has way more "slam" and much deeper bass and with enough power, can play much louder without strain. The LX is better for rock, dynamic home theater and is the better choice for those who "listen to everything".”

The V2 crossovers for my Sierra 2EX pair that I use for surrounds arrived Wednesday. I hope to be able to install them this weekend. If this V2 upgrade is as good as the Luna V2 upgrade, it will be worth it. The Sierra 2 EXs measured well before, so my guess is the difference won't be as "drastic" as I noticed with the Lunas. The Lunas were noticeably warmer, had better/smoother horizontal dispersion, and were significantly cleaner than the pre-V2 version when I use them as mains in a bedroom stereo setup.

My initial expectation would be for those that really like their Sierra 2 EX speakers, this has a lower cost of admission than the LX upgrade. I think this would help add even more polish to the already great performance of the EX series.
    Last edited by Robert; 09-29-2022 at 05:49 PM.

I use my 2EX with a SVS SB2000 Pro sub crossed over at 80 Hz. I listen to rock, some jazz and pop, and classical. I also use it for movies/video in a 2.1 configuration. Will I see a benefit with the V2 upgrade?
    Last edited by sliang; 09-30-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Per Dave earlier in this thread:
    “... The LX is better for rock, dynamic home theater and is the better choice for those who "listen to everything".”
    Thx Curtis. I guess I'm still going to stick with the S2EX upgrade path because I've already spent the ~$800 to upgrade them to S2EX so another $250 I can live with. I'm more interested in seeing what upgrades are proposed for the towers as I've always had a little envy for them.

My taste for bass might be slightly different than most. First I live in an apartment but also I've played drums for 45 years and have had enough bass for 10 lifetimes! Maybe I developed PTSD from my wife by association but when I hear giant explosions in movies I always have to turn that crap down. lol

I even had a lovely rythmic sub that I kept turning down until I realized I was barely even using it so I sold it. Esp after upgrading from S2 to S2EX, which gave me enough bass for my tastes.

Anyhow, the V2 upgrade's been ordered and we'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    Thx Curtis. I guess I'm still going to stick with the S2EX upgrade path because I've already spent the ~$800 to upgrade them to S2EX so another $250 I can live with. I'm more interested in seeing what upgrades are proposed for the towers as I've always had a little envy for them.

My taste for bass might be slightly different than most. First I live in an apartment but also I've played drums for 45 years and have had enough bass for 10 lifetimes! Maybe I developed PTSD from my wife by association but when I hear giant explosions in movies I always have to turn that crap down. lol

I even had a lovely rythmic sub that I kept turning down until I realized I was barely even using it so I sold it. Esp after upgrading from S2 to S2EX, which gave me enough bass for my tastes.

Anyhow, the V2 upgrade's been ordered and we'll see how it goes.
    I think it’s a no lose situation.
    Enjoy!