Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Thanks! Glad I patiently waited.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    What we need now is a person who has both the EX and LX, then to upgrade their EX to the V2 and then do a comparison review! It will be fun and interesting!
    I did a monster review of the EX vs. the LX:

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/blog/202...ex-comparison/

I will probably upgrade the EXs (because, really, there hasn't been a Sierra bookshelf upgrade I've missed yet, so why start now), but I don't know if I have another review like that in me for a while. It'd be next summer at the earliest.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post

I will probably upgrade the EXs (because, really, there hasn't been a Sierra bookshelf upgrade I've missed yet, so why start now), but I don't know if I have another review like that in me for a while. It'd be next summer at the earliest.
    It is your duty!

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post

That was a great review. An additional review for the v2 will be greatly appreciated if, or whenever you get to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Billmac58 View Post
    Hi Dave,

Do you have any idea when the domestic cabinet will be back in stock? I'm very interested in the Sierra-2EX V2 but would want the domestic cabinet. I currently have Sierra-2s and would assume the Sierra-2EX V2 would be a big improvement. Thanks!

Take care, Bill
    Hey Bill - hope all is well!

Unfortunately, unless things take a drastic change for the better in this current economy - manufacturing speaker cabinets here in the US has now become next to impossible. This is due to several reasons.

Most importantly, costs - labor, lumber and paint costs are now 3-4 times what they were 18 months ago. We would have to charge nearly double the old prices for domestic cabinets to remain even somewhat profitable. ( no one is going to pay that )

Secondly, California environmental policies have gone a bit crazy - every paint / dye we used had to be reformulated to meet these new standards and, to be honest, the quality is simply horrible now.

Lastly, due to continuing supply chain issues and massive labor shortages, our quoted lead times went from 3-4 months to 1 year. Sadly, we can't operate with 1 year lead times - I am not sure any company could.

I do hope things change for the better, I would love to build our cabinets here again - we invested heavily in building cabinets here, it is shocking to me how in the course of about a year - everything changed. In my near 40-years in this industry, I have never experienced anything like this before.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yeah, it seems to be the State of the Union here (cost increases, labor shortages, etc.). I think Europe is in even worse shape - almost time to buy euros (down around 10% and almost on par at 1.03 to 1) and/or British pounds (similarly, down around 30% at 1.09 to 1) as both are beaten up pretty heavily versus the dollar. Brazilian reals are even a better bargain (5.1 vs typical 2 or 2.5 to 1) - so much that we bought some land in Brazil as a currency play.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    It very much depends on listening habits and music genres. The S2EX V2 is the more detailed speaker and is best for acoustic music, jazz, most classical. The LX has way more "slam" and much deeper bass and with enough power, can play much louder without strain. The LX is better for rock, dynamic home theater and is the better choice for those who "listen to everything".
    I currently have S2EX up front and Luna's as surrounds and am considering either V2 or LX. I listen to everything from classical to Porcupine Tree. I can only use my Denon X4500H to power all five speakers. Would that be enough power at 10 feet away to experience the benefits of the LX? I only listen at moderate to loud volumes, nothing crazy. Whereas before it seemed almost everyone preferred the LX, does the V2 close the gap some?
    Nate

Is there any benefit to using the 2EX cross over on an S2 and it's original woofer?

If I upgrade to V2, I can give the old crossovers to my brother, who I gave a pair of original S2's to.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    More spacious sounding, a bit warmer with more detailed mids, and a slight touch of added midbass
    I have a pair of Sierra 2's and I am trying to decide between an LX upgrade kit or a 2 EX V2 upgrade kit. I love the Sierra 2's, since they allow me to enjoy music and home theater at healthy volumes without producing listening fatigue. With my previous pair of speakers my ears would be ringing the rest of the day if I simply watched a movie at -30dB for 2 hours. Now with the Sierra 2's I can do movie marathons at -20dB to -15dB without any such listening fatigue! For my listening habits it is 95% home theater and 5% blu-ray concert videos. Would you suggest sticking with the ribbon tweeter and upgrading to the 2 EX V2? Or will the LX also be fine as far as not giving me listening fatigue? I'm not sure what is wrong with my ears, but the Sierra 2's have seemed to fix the problem and I don't want to upgrade and end up with listening fatigue all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It is your duty!
    I'm gonna need a few more hours in the day for a review at that level to be viable any time in the near future...
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.