Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Anyone in the Dallas area with the Sierra’s or the ELX towers who’d be willing to let me audition them?

Thanks!

I’m in Houston if you are ever down this way.
    ELXv2 RAAL Towers
    S2EXv2 (as surrounds)
    LX (office)
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks! I don't know when I'll be down, but I really appreciate it. Just really diving in after one of my KEF LS50 drivers tore after like 6 years. Looking to replace those with these for my home theater.

Additionally, I have an open room where the kitchen and dining area are also connected to the living room where the theater setup lives. I’m about 12’ from the speakers — KEF LS50s + KEF Q650C + HSU 15” Sub and use a denon x4700h to power the LCR speakers.

Would it be worth the extra cash to get the towers or just get a pair of bookshelves? 70%~ movies & tv show usage, and the rest for music.

IMO, if within your budget, I'd go for the ELX Towers + ELX Horizon center. Sounds as if your space is big (mine is as well) plus it would avoid FOMO. Otherwise, my second choice would be 3 LX for LRC.

That said, I'd give Ascend a call to discuss your room, listening habits, budget, etc. They'll give you the best recommendation without any upsell.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Went in on the towers! Will wait for the center until next holiday. Stretched a bit far but I’m excited!

excellent choice. Did you go RAAL or TITAN tweeter? ELX or v2 (x-over upgrade only)? What color?

RAAL ELX in piano black! Dina answered so many of my questions I’ve probably exhausted her for the week, haha

Nice!. Dina (and Dave) are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    As someone who owns both, no, I don't think you're missing out by getting the LX. In general, I think the LX is the better speaker. But that's in general—there are some things that the EXv2 does better, but it doesn't do them all that much better, and the LX does more things better. I would recommend the LX over the EXv2 for most things, but there are fairly narrow edge cases where I'd go the other way.

Your case does not sound like one of those edge cases. If you listen to a wide variety of music genres and are doing HT, I think the LX is the clear choice there.
    Interesting comment thanks for sharing. I noticed the last few responders commented a preference/suggestion (in this use case) for the LX over the S2EX V2. What are the cases where you would go the other way? I'm working on a first time stereo setup and think I've narrowed down my preference to a pair of Ascend speakers, but the differences among products aren't super clear to me. Haven't ruled out towers but mostly leaning towards bookshelf - which do I go with? Fairly large living room space with no acoustic treatment except for furnishings, which would be a best fit for me? After reading various comments I'm leaning towards a pair of LX. Do I need a subwoofer too? Or can the speakers carry enough alone that I don't need it from the start. Any other considerations between these two?

newbo101

What type(s) of music do you listen to? How loud?

If mainly jazz/classical/female vocals, you may prefer the EXV2. Although if you walk around alot (or listen to other types of music), the LX. Unless, of course, you go for the Towers. The LX dig deeper but are slightly less efficient. What are you using for amplification? I assume it will be enough for either bookshelf.

As to subwoofer, I'd try the speakers themselves first for music only before buying a sub or two (Rythmik, hint hint). If you are also doing movies, yes to a sub (or two) for the impact.