Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

I have owned the Sierra 1, 2, 2EX, LX, and now the 2EX V2. (All fantastic in their own ways)

But WOW! The Sierra 2EX V2 is just sublime. I listen to 60-70s rock, blues, bluegrass, country, jazz, classical, some newer pop, electronic, and metal. The 2EX V2’s really knock all of these genres out of the park. Usually I can get a speaker happy with a few genres but not ALL genres! Truly just enjoying music fatigue free.

It is incredible how the RAAL ribbon has all the detail without the harshness. The 2EX V2 blending of the RAAL ribbon and woofer is seriously faultless. It almost feels like a coaxial speaker, that’s how awesome the blend is.

I recently attended an orchestral performance here in MN because I was really curious how well the 2EX V2 would compare to a real performance. Now obviously the sheer visceral nature of a live orchestra will not be replicated by any speaker. BUT, the tonality and air the 2EX V2 displays was about as close as I can imagine a speaker getting. I could count way more similarities than dissimilarities which is simply awesome!

My speaker history spans outside of Ascend Acoustics. Previous speakers owned include floorstanders and bookshelf speakers ranging from $2,000-$15,000. The 2EX V2 is competitive with all of them and seriously one of my favorites EVER. Obviously the 2EX V2 will not have the vast sonic size of say a Magnepan 3.7i or the ultra low bass of some other floorstanders, but count me 110% pleased.

Dave, you’ve got yourself a winner in the Sierra 2EX V2. The addition of the Klippel system and your expertise have seriously transformed this speaker. Well done, glad to benefit from your outstanding work.

For anyone curious my current system: Sierra 2EX V2 on 24in stands, McIntosh MC312, Audio Research LS-28, Chord Qutest, Raspberry Pi streaming from Roon/Tidal. Full Gik Acoustics treatments.

@Nautrachkfriend

What do you use, or did you use, the LX for? If music, which genres, artists?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautrachkfriend View Post
    I have owned the Sierra 1, 2, 2EX, LX, and now the 2EX V2. (All fantastic in their own ways)

But WOW! The Sierra 2EX V2 is just sublime. I listen to 60-70s rock, blues, bluegrass, country, jazz, classical, some newer pop, electronic, and metal. The 2EX V2Â’s really knock all of these genres out of the park. Usually I can get a speaker happy with a few genres but not ALL genres! Truly just enjoying music fatigue free.

It is incredible how the RAAL ribbon has all the detail without the harshness. The 2EX V2 blending of the RAAL ribbon and woofer is seriously faultless. It almost feels like a coaxial speaker, thatÂ’s how awesome the blend is.

I recently attended an orchestral performance here in MN because I was really curious how well the 2EX V2 would compare to a real performance. Now obviously the sheer visceral nature of a live orchestra will not be replicated by any speaker. BUT, the tonality and air the 2EX V2 displays was about as close as I can imagine a speaker getting. I could count way more similarities than dissimilarities which is simply awesome!

My speaker history spans outside of Ascend Acoustics. Previous speakers owned include floorstanders and bookshelf speakers ranging from $2,000-$15,000. The 2EX V2 is competitive with all of them and seriously one of my favorites EVER. Obviously the 2EX V2 will not have the vast sonic size of say a Magnepan 3.7i or the ultra low bass of some other floorstanders, but count me 110% pleased.

Dave, youÂ’ve got yourself a winner in the Sierra 2EX V2. The addition of the Klippel system and your expertise have seriously transformed this speaker. Well done, glad to benefit from your outstanding work.

For anyone curious my current system: Sierra 2EX V2 on 24in stands, McIntosh MC312, Audio Research LS-28, Chord Qutest, Raspberry Pi streaming from Roon/Tidal. Full Gik Acoustics treatments.
    I agree that the 2EX V2s do a great job reproducing a classical symphony performance. I have a number of SACDs from the Pittsburgh Symphony that I listen to with my 2EX V2 speakers. The Pittsburgh Symphony has got a number of Grammy nominations over the years for their releases and won one back in 2018. Plus, they are recorded in Heinz Hall where they have their performances. Since I live in Pittsburgh, unlike music recorded in a studio or venue I have not been to, I can make a direct comparison between what I get at home and the live performance. With these speakers, and I have gone through a number over the years, I definitely get as close as I am likely to get replicating a live performance in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by High Fidelity View Post
    @Nautrachkfriend

What do you use, or did you use, the LX for? If music, which genres, artists?
    I used the LX in the same spot my 2EX V2's are in now. 100% music, 2 channel, same genres as specified before. I ended up swapping them for the 2EX V2 because the ribbon tweeter just can't be beat. I'd also give the edge in midrange clarity to the 2EX V2.

The biggest strength of the LX was the bass region, it sounds like a full tower. I did also like that you could move around in the room and the sound stayed quite consistent. For the record it was the first metal dome tweeter I have ever enjoyed, which is a fantastic feat. I have experienced Beryllium and Diamond domes too.

Still loving my Sierra-2EX's with the V2 upgrade! I am still astounded by how much further I can hear into the recording with the V2 crossover. Thanks Dave!

Sierra's.jpg

I continue to be amazed at how good the Sierra-2EX V2 sounds as well. IMO, the V2 upgrade put these speakers in another league. The reproduction of the music I listen to on it seems absolutely perfect. I can't imagine better sound coming out of a speaker than this.

I know Ascend Acoustics has more expensive speakers in the ELX Towers but it's hard for me to fanthom how much better they can be. I'm sure they have better bass and can play louder but I dont think those aspects are critical to my listening habits.

BTW, when I upgraded to the V2s, I also limited the Audyssey frequency range to below 300 hz. This completely smoothed out the sound. I never realized it but I think Audyssey adds a harshness to the sound by flattening out the FR. With the NFS, it's completely unnecessary to use room EQ above 300-400 Hz on these speakers. This also really improved on the SQ for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    I know Ascend Acoustics has more expensive speakers in the ELX Towers but it's hard for me to fanthom how much better they can be. I'm sure they have better bass and can play louder but I dont think those aspects are critical to my listening habits.
    Midrange. Even the "old" V1 Towers had better midrange than the 2EXs. I'm sure the ELXs are stunning in that regard.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Midrange. Even the "old" V1 Towers had better midrange than the 2EXs. I'm sure the ELXs are stunning in that regard.
    Really? I haven't A/Bed them. And I only the original Sierra 2's that I plan to do the EX V2 upgrade on soon. But, the ELX towers switched out the V1 midrange to the woofer in the 2EXs, because Dave found it had nearly perfect textbook directivity. He then implemented the LX woofers for the bass region, because that is where they shine. Yes the towers can have a much better ribbon tweeter too, but the much of the midrange in the EX V2 is handled by the woofer, which he thought would be perfect for the dedicated midrange driver in the ELX tower. Again I can't say for certain because I haven't A/Bed the 3 speakers you are talking about, but just in terms of the drivers used in the various speakers I'm not so sure how that would be true.

I have S2s as my surrounds (now, used to be my mains). RAAL ELX Towers now my mains (upgraded from V1). Not heard the upgraded S2 EX. Midrange in the ELX Towers is excellent- much better than the v1 and the S2.

I think Sunbyrne is probably right despite the driver comparison. Midrange is dedicated in the Tower so doesn’t have to handle lower bass. I assume the x-over designs also impact.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    I would agree with this statement regarding the v1 towers and original 2 EX speakers. Both are good speakers, but the v1 towers had a significant edge in the midrange department with the dedicated driver. If memory serves me right, as one reviewer here put it, you went from sitting a few rows back with the 2EX to being in the front row with the towers.

I'm prepping for the ELX tower upgrade this weekend. Not sure what to expect moving from the v1 towers, but maybe it will be like rocking out on the actual stage with the ELX as opposed to "just" the front row.
    Last edited by Robert; 05-18-2023 at 05:00 PM.