Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

For me it's a curiosity question. I already have the V2s in my office system.

I wanted to play around with some of the techniques here. I've learned a lot from his other videos as well...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKeHyT7Xgo

So, I'd like the know the crossover frequency of the V2s as well as the "order" (slopes) of the crossover.
    Last edited by Natural1; 01-03-2023 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural1 View Post

I wanted to play around with some of the techniques here. I've learned a lot from his other videos as well...

So, I'd like the know the crossover frequency of the V2s as well as the "order" (slopes) of the crossover.
    I had a quick look and I would wonder what Dave would say about it. Seems suspect to me.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I had a quick look and I would wonder what Dave would say about it. Seems suspect to me.
    I was thinking the same thing on that one. But for sure his info on general PEQ and multi-sub optimization in other videos has been very informative and fun to play around with.

The one I linked above... yeah I suspect might have some really odd issues associated with it. For me, I just want to experiment and learn what the audible results are, especially since I already have the tools and it costs nothing to see what happens. Good or bad doesn't really matter, you always learn something.

OK - I had a chance to watch this. It is one thing to create an overall room correction frequency response curve or to create a specific house curve, I have no issues with that. It can be fun to play around with this.

However, it appears he is also trying to correct for passive crossover phase shift. I absolutely do not recommend attempting this. This person is making far too many generalizations regarding crossovers and phase, in fact - making any phase adjustments (or rephase as he calls it) will basically completely undo all of the benefits of our NFS optimizations.

That stated, Sierra-2EX V2 acoustic crossover point is at ~3300Hz. These are 4th order asymmetrical acoustic slopes.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    OK - I had a chance to watch this. It is one thing to create an overall room correction frequency response curve or to create a specific house curve, I have no issues with that. It can be fun to play around with this.

However, it appears he is also trying to correct for passive crossover phase shift. I absolutely do not recommend attempting this. This person is making far too many generalizations regarding crossovers and phase, in fact - making any phase adjustments (or rephase as he calls it) will basically completely undo all of the benefits of our NFS optimizations.

That stated, Sierra-2EX V2 acoustic crossover point is at ~3300Hz. These are 4th order asymmetrical acoustic slopes.
    Thank you Dave! I'm not surprised to hear that part of the program is a bad idea, very much square peg/round hole.

His knowledge of REW is extensive to say the least, and I have found his videos to be very helpful and I've picked up a lot of good tips with respect to general PEQ design, speaker-to-speaker time alignment, multi-sub alignment, and sub-to-main crossover and time alignment.

I don't run a sub in my office, and currently my Sierra2EX V2s are running on my "pre-V2" set of PEQ filters in Equalizer APO, under 250 Hz only. I'll likely stick with this idea for the V2s. I do want to re-do measurements with the new crossovers and I'm guessing the bass range really hasn't changed with the new crossovers (why would it?), so my old filters are probably still good. I know I have a slight time alignment issue between the 2 speakers and I'll adjust for this in EQ APO once I take measurements. Just haven't had time to look at it yet.

All this stuff is such a huge rabbit hole (with some dead ends), but it is fun for those that like to dig into things. REW itself is truly amazing with all of it's knobs, levers, and switches. I'm surprised it can't make coffee. Maybe I just haven't found that setting

I do want to re-do measurements with the new crossovers and I'm guessing the bass range really hasn't changed with the new crossovers (why would it?), so my old filters are probably still good.
    On this topic, the graphs and subjective reviews have stated differences in the lows and highs far from the crossover. The on-axis response has only changed subtly but the off-axis seem to have changed significantly outside of the crossover region. In particular, the estimated in-room response above 5kHz is dramatically different with v2.

Dave, can you explain how the crossover change impacts the low bass and upper treble? And thanks so much for continuing to share your knowledge and experience over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
    On this topic, the graphs and subjective reviews have stated differences in the lows and highs far from the crossover. The on-axis response has only changed subtly but the off-axis seem to have changed significantly outside of the crossover region. In particular, the estimated in-room response above 5kHz is dramatically different with v2.
    I still haven't gotten back to this yet. When I do I'll try to show some pre and post upgrade data. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantom View Post

Dave, can you explain how the crossover change impacts the low bass and upper treble? And thanks so much for continuing to share your knowledge and experience over the years!
    Hi Fantom,

I am not exactly sure what you are asking, I have made many posts in this thread discussing the differences between original and V2. There are no differences in the low-end extension between Sierra-2EX and Sierra-2EX V2. With the V2, there is approximately 1.5dB-2dB more midbass energy, and we came up with a different method to integrate the RAAL ribbon with the woofer, this results in better overall directivity. This is the major change from V1 to V2.

If you are asking me precisely how we accomplished this, I am sorry but I am not going to publicly post these details.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There are no differences in the low-end extension between Sierra-2EX and Sierra-2EX V2. With the V2, there is approximately 1.5dB-2dB more midbass energy, and we came up with a different method to integrate the RAAL ribbon with the woofer, this results in better overall directivity. This is the major change from V1 to V2.

If you are asking me precisely how we accomplished this, I am sorry but I am not going to publicly post these details.
    Thanks for the comments! I of course don't expect you to divulge secrets here. I'll rephrase my question.

You say the crossover frequency is around 3300Hz. So I can understand that a crossover change would impact frequencies around 3300Hz plus or minus. What's perhaps not expected is that this leads to a midbass boost and changes to directivity even well above 5kHz. Can you comment on how that works?

I've been enjoying the v2 for awhile now. I've noticed these stated improvements in my main listening position. The largest improvement I've noticed is when sitting at the dining table off to the side of the speakers (fairly open apt layout), which has also been great. I'm just trying to learn more if you are able to speak on the topic without giving away the proprietary recipe. Thanks!

In case you miss this, here's my latest frequency response graph taken with REW of my Sierra-2EX V2's!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables