Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Thanks for you first impressions!

Just in case you're not aware....under accessories theses are Q-Plugs just for that purpose. If you were not aware your instincts are incredible!
    You are welcome. I was aware of those. The speakers in my stereo room are also plugged.

Interesting that the change created that boominess with just that 1/2 dB increase in mid bass Dave told us about. I'm assuming you played the EX in that room prior with no boominess.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Interesting that the change created that boominess with just that 1/2 dB increase in mid bass Dave told us about. I'm assuming you played the EX in that room prior with no boominess.
    The 2-EXs have been in this room for a year. Maybe it was song choice. It’s not a negative comment. My “boominess” may be someone else perfect bass.
    Last edited by ahender; 12-13-2022 at 08:13 AM.

So, I received the V2 crossovers yesterday and dived right in. First, a few notes on the process:
    1. My Sierra cabinets are 1st generation Sierra-1 classics. I've done various modifications to them as I upgraded from Sierra-1 to NrT, and NrT to Sierra-2. The original insulation was not the white Dacron batting. It was yellow fiberglass in black mesh glued to the insides of the cabinet. That still exists in the upper chamber where the RAAL is, but I've had the white Dacron in the lower chamber since the NrT upgrade. During the NrT to Sierra-2 conversion, the SEAS CURV woofer had a slightly larger outside diameter which necessitated opening up the woofer cutout with sandpaper, utility knife, sanding disc, etc.
    That was the most labor-intensive upgrade I've done.
    2. Going from Sierra-2 to -2EX was fairly painless other than having to gut the speaker again and reassemble.
    3. Sierra-2EX to -2EX V2: Hiccup #1 - The first speaker had a woofer that did not want to budge. I finally worked it loose by inserting 2 Allen keys into opposing screw holes so I could pull on them to turn the woofer in the cutout, while having the speaker at an angle so it could work loose. That did the trick.
    Hiccup #2 - The old, original method of securing the crossover leads to the binding posts used some sort of thick glue to lock down the brass nuts. This makes removing the nuts sometimes a bit tricky. Well, On the last post I found that the brass nut was on so tightly that my 12pt socket had rounded off the nut. After looking at the post and how it was installed, I figured I would have to remove the post entirely so I could get that stinking nut off. The base of the post below that nut, on the inside of the speaker, has a hex for use with a socket. Only problem now was I had no way of getting a socket on that due to the crossover terminal ring still being attached which impeded the socket. I had to twist the lead on the side of the ring back and forth until it snapped off, which then allowed the socket to go down over the hex flats. After lots of force to unscrew everything, I finally got the old lead ring off. I reinstalled the post into the speaker and got everything installed and back together.

After all that fun, I was able to do a little listening. I'll just echo the comments already expressed. More spacious(Open), bigger soundstage, imaging seems improved with better detail. So far so good!
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 12-13-2022 at 04:57 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Moved the 2-EX V2s to my 11x16 office/stereo room today for a listen side-by-side with the BMR Monitors. I thought the V2s sounded amazingly perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Moved the 2-EX V2s to my 11x16 office/stereo room today for a listen side-by-side with the BMR Monitors. I thought the V2s sounded amazingly perfect.
    But...... how do they compare?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    But...... how do they compare?
    I posted a comparison on the AVS Forum Philharmonic Audio thread. I would say read that. Dennis has questioned my speaker placement and the effect on soundstage. In only one song did I mention anything related to soundstage. In that example, both speakers sounded awesome. In I think three songs, I felt the 2-EX V2s sounded better in the lower frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    I posted a comparison on the AVS Forum Philharmonic Audio thread. I would say read that. Dennis has questioned my speaker placement and the effect on soundstage. In only one song did I mention anything related to soundstage. In that example, both speakers sounded awesome. In I think three songs, I felt the 2-EX V2s sounded better in the lower frequencies.
    Can you compare the midrange between the 2? I'm curious because the BMR midrange is supposed to be that speakers's secret sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    Can you compare the midrange between the 2? I'm curious because the BMR midrange is supposed to be that speakers's secret sauce.
    The only differences I could here where the 2-EX V2 was better was in three songs which had cello and stand-up bass. I thought the lower frequencies of the cello and stand-up bass in those three songs were not as good on the BMRs. I also thought the V2s were warmer. The BMRs had the rear ports plugged or partially plugged for some songs. In my regular listening with the BMRs, the rear ports are always partially plugged.

Base on the measurements on ascends and erins corner, the sierra ex 2 V2 is a better measured speaker. It more more balanced top to bottom and more linear directivity. The BMR actually has a slight downward shelving in the bass and roll off highs. It appears though the bmr digs a bit lower.