Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    That is the typical in-room response.
    Anechoic it is -3db at 51Hz, -6db at 42Hz

You can expect good response to 34Hz in-room, but remember, all rooms are different.

Does that help?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Billmac58 View Post
    Thank you Ed for your reply! That's a bummer. I had a chance to buy a used pair of Sierra-2EXs in satin black with the domestic cabinet for $1100 awhile back. Now I'm really regretting not buying them :-(!
    I have a pair of Sierra 2EX,upgraded from Sierra NrT, in gloss cherry. Don't know if they are domestic or foreign, but I'd guess domestic. Right now I'm looking into V2 upgrade, but if that doesn't work out I may consider a sale. Excellent shape, no smoke with original box etc...

With all the talk about people planning to upgrade their towers, I feel less guilty about spending $290 to upgrade my 2-EXs. Order placed!

I performed the V2 upgrade last night. 1/2 inch socket on the binding post nut was too loose for my liking so I used a 12mm which seemed perfect.

After the upgrade I turned Dirac room correction off (but I'm still using a small subwoofer crossed at 70Hz) and I'm really enjoying these speakers. I went to bed way too late because I kept playing more and more music from my collection. These were articulate, competent speakers before the crossover upgrade, but I don't remember ever feeling like I was compelled to listen to music on them for hours at a time. Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon phase again but they just sound so good. I'm using these nearfield with my computer, powered by Hypex NC400 monoblock amps. The dynamic range is incredible. I can't imagine wanting anything more out of a pair of speakers. I think these now sound better than the towers/horizon combo in my living room (although those are powered by inferior amplification).

If the forthcoming tower upgrades sound this good, and I expect they will, I can't wait.

I always use Audesssey equalization on my Denon x4400h on my setup as to me, it provides improvement over not having it.

Will I see as big an improvement as others are saying with this upgrade if I'm using Audesssey with the speakers?

Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    I always use Audesssey equalization on my Denon x4400h on my setup as to me, it provides improvement over not having it.

Will I see as big an improvement as others are saying with this upgrade if I'm using Audesssey with the speakers?
    It's best to use Audyssey for bass correction which is influenced by your room and affects all speakers.. I would use the Audyssey app for your phone ($20) and limit Audyssey correction to frequencies below about 250 or 300 Hz (I personally use 500 Hz). Leave everything above untouched and let your speakers shine. FYI, this method is also promoted by Floyd Toole as well - speakers that measure well, such as the Sierras, don't need equalization above the room's transition frequency, typically around 250-300 Hz (but definitely under 500 Hz, which is why I used that for my room).

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    It's best to use Audyssey for bass correction which is influenced by your room and affects all speakers.. I would use the Audyssey app for your phone ($20) and limit Audyssey correction to frequencies below about 250 or 300 Hz (I personally use 500 Hz). Leave everything above untouched and let your speakers shine. FYI, this method is also promoted by Floyd Toole as well - speakers that measure well, such as the Sierras, don't need equalization above the room's transition frequency, typically around 250-300 Hz (but definitely under 500 Hz, which is why I used that for my room).
    What would be the difference you are hearing or not hearing with your method? I’ve never tried the app.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I am using the app but applying the settings for full range and sub.

I might give this a try. I use the app to mainly remove the midrange compensation that it automatically adds.

Still, I'm wondering how big a difference the V2 upgrade would be if the speakers are equalizaed. After all, the upgrade has no new drivers and it was to even out the frequency response as I understand it.

It all depends on your room and what that specific Audyssey calibration is doing at that time. I've had multiple calibrations do wildly different things with the same speakers and positioning. The reasoning is above the transition frequency (Schroeder), the speaker's natural frequency dominates what we hear, while below it, the room dominates. If you have a flat, neutral speaker, then room EQ has a significant chance of actually worsening it and the safest route is to leave it untouched at these higher frequencies.

2EX V2 upgrades ordered!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables