Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Default Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Here was the statement from Dave in the first post of the "We save the best for last thread".

"With our newer and NFS optimized EX and LX speakers, we have come very close to matching the performance of our towers. Both the EXv2 and LX have surpassed the towers in certain very specific performance characteristics, and this was our goal. With the LX, we surpassed the towers in overall dynamics, bass extension and power handling – with the EXv2, directivity and midrange accuracy and detail."

So the EXv2 appears to have a better midrange than the V1 tower.

Anyway, for certain listening preferences such as classical or acoustical music, and not at extremely high volumes, is the EXv2 pretty close to the ELX Towers?

Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    Here was the statement from Dave in the first post of the "We save the best for last thread".

"With our newer and NFS optimized EX and LX speakers, we have come very close to matching the performance of our towers. Both the EXv2 and LX have surpassed the towers in certain very specific performance characteristics, and this was our goal. With the LX, we surpassed the towers in overall dynamics, bass extension and power handling – with the EXv2, directivity and midrange accuracy and detail."

So the EXv2 appears to have a better midrange than the V1 tower.

Anyway, for certain listening preferences such as classical or acoustical music, and not at extremely high volumes, is the EXv2 pretty close to the ELX Towers?
    This is purely a guess as I have neither speakers. My mains are Sierra 2s that I really want to up grade to EX V2 soon. The better tweeter and LX woofers in the tower will change the crossover, where the EX woofer can probably eek out better midrange detail. How noticeable? Subtle or night and day? Only people who have both speakers and have critically listened to both can tell. I’m sure Dave could tell you.

I would also add the ELX using the 70-20 allows for even lower crossover point...which would free up further the mid range in a already dedicated midrange design...iirc...the original tower had a equal or slight advantage vs. S2EX....I hasten to say the ELX has a significant advantage...lower volume maybe...much closer.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by 33na3rd View Post
    Still loving my Sierra-2EX's with the V2 upgrade! I am still astounded by how much further I can hear into the recording with the V2 crossover. Thanks Dave!

Attachment 2681
    Quote Originally Posted by hometheater View Post
    I continue to be amazed at how good the Sierra-2EX V2 sounds as well. IMO, the V2 upgrade put these speakers in another league. The reproduction of the music I listen to on it seems absolutely perfect. I can't imagine better sound coming out of a speaker than this.

I know Ascend Acoustics has more expensive speakers in the ELX Towers but it's hard for me to fanthom how much better they can be. I'm sure they have better bass and can play louder but I dont think those aspects are critical to my listening habits.

BTW, when I upgraded to the V2s, I also limited the Audyssey frequency range to below 300 hz. This completely smoothed out the sound. I never realized it but I think Audyssey adds a harshness to the sound by flattening out the FR. With the NFS, it's completely unnecessary to use room EQ above 300-400 Hz on these speakers. This also really improved on the SQ for me.
    So happy to hear this, thank you. And I agree, with our NFS optimized line of speakers, it is likely best to avoid all room EQ above the room's transition frequency.

From a technical / objective standpoint, yes - the ELX do provide performance improvements across the board, in mids and the highs.

From the standpoint of the midrange, the ELX midwoofer is not tasked with reproducing bass frequencies that do interfere with the reproduction of mid frequencies (major reduction in IM distortion). Also, the midwoofer is housed in its own critically damped sealed chamber that completely absorbs backwave radiation. This can not be done in the Sierra-2EXV2 as there wouldn't be much output below 100Hz. Additionally, with the big RAAL (70-20xram), we are able to cross lower so much of the upper midrange response is handled by the RAAL.

Regarding the highs, the RAAL 70-20xram is the better sounding tweeter compared to the RAAL 64-10X, it is smoother and more transparent, has a more linear polar response and lower distortion.

We do have a pair of ELX Ribbon Towers and Sierra-2EXv2 in our demo room. When my time frees up, I think I will do some critical A/B comparisons using a high crossover point to eliminate the major bass advantage the ELX Tower has and then share my thoughts on this.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Exclamation Re: New: Sierra-2EX V2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ...Regarding the highs, the RAAL 70-20xram is the better sounding tweeter compared to the RAAL 64-10X, it is smoother and more transparent, has a more linear polar response and lower distortion.

We do have a pair of ELX Ribbon Towers and Sierra-2EXv2 in our demo room. When my time frees up, I think I will do some critical A/B comparisons using a high crossover point to eliminate the major bass advantage the ELX Tower has and then share my thoughts on this.
    This comparison will be very informative, Dave. Looking forward to your comments!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Nautrachkfriend View Post
    I used the LX in the same spot my 2EX V2's are in now. 100% music, 2 channel, same genres as specified before. I ended up swapping them for the 2EX V2 because the ribbon tweeter just can't be beat. I'd also give the edge in midrange clarity to the 2EX V2.

The biggest strength of the LX was the bass region, it sounds like a full tower. I did also like that you could move around in the room and the sound stayed quite consistent. For the record it was the first metal dome tweeter I have ever enjoyed, which is a fantastic feat. I have experienced Beryllium and Diamond domes too.
    Hey Nautrachkfriend and sliang - Heading over to this forum to say thank you for sharing your thoughts on the 2EXv2s. As much as I enjoy classical music, your comments were key in making my final decision to purchase these instead of the LXs. In fact, I just attended Beethoven's 9th at the Kennedy Center last Friday and have compared to my home system using the recording of the Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra directed by Manfred Honeck. Of course the live version in a huge venue is on another level, but I still am amazed at how close I can get to that experience using the 2EXv2s (with a sub).

Also, I'd be interested to know more about your set-ups. Are you using one or more subwoofers? If so, what crossover point are you using? As of today I am using 60Hz and letting a single SVS 2000 Pro cover all frequencies below that point. It sounds fantastic! Later this summer I'll purchase a second 2000 Pro and maybe experiment with 80 Hz. Also, what amplifiers are you using?
    Speakers: EXv2 (mains), Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra-1 (surrounds), SVS SB 2000 Pro (x2)
    Source: MacBook Pro with Audirvana Studio
    DAC: Schiit Gugnir
    Preamp: Parasound Halo P6
    Amp: Buckeye 2-Channel Purifi ET400A
    AVR: NAD T-753v3i
    Cables: Blue Jeans XLR

Quote Originally Posted by novaduckfan1 View Post
    Hey Nautrachkfriend and sliang - Heading over to this forum to say thank you for sharing your thoughts on the 2EXv2s. As much as I enjoy classical music, your comments were key in making my final decision to purchase these instead of the LXs. In fact, I just attended Beethoven's 9th at the Kennedy Center last Friday and have compared to my home system using the recording of the Pittsburg Symphony Orchestra directed by Manfred Honeck. Of course the live version in a huge venue is on another level, but I still am amazed at how close I can get to that experience using the 2EXv2s (with a sub).

Also, I'd be interested to know more about your set-ups. Are you using one or more subwoofers? If so, what crossover point are you using? As of today I am using 60Hz and letting a single SVS 2000 Pro cover all frequencies below that point. It sounds fantastic! Later this summer I'll purchase a second 2000 Pro and maybe experiment with 80 Hz. Also, what amplifiers are you using?
    Glad I could help you with your purchase decision.

My set up consists of a Marantz NR 1710 and one SVS PB 2000 Pro subwoofer. I use Audyssey in my AVR (only bass frequencies up to 250 Hz) since, along with some bass traps, that is the only way to clean up the bass due to the configuration of my room. I cross over to my pair of 2EX speakers at 80 Hz. While my AVR only puts out 50 watts per channel, it is plenty of power for me sit since I only sit about 7 feet away and I am only running a 2.1 set up. Also, I am not running my system very loud for music (70 to 80 dB for classical, a little louder for rock).

Quick question:
    With the S2EX V2, Is there any more to making one a "Center" than simply rotating the tweeter 90 degrees?
    I'm looking to lay flat one of my front L+R speakers to fit better with my new TV.
    Will dispersion be significantly affected? And, If i lay one flat, should the other be layed flat to make everything equal?

Thanks in Advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Quick question:
    With the S2EX V2, Is there any more to making one a "Center" than simply rotating the tweeter 90 degrees?
    I'm looking to lay flat one of my front L+R speakers to fit better with my new TV.
    Will dispersion be significantly affected? And, If i lay one flat, should the other be layed flat to make everything equal?

Thanks in Advance!
    That is all you would need to do in order to lay it horizontally. I would do it to both speakers just so they are identical, but if you need to have one vertical it is likely fine. Also, if you order a center version directly from Ascend it would come with a full length grill to cover the entire baffle.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Quick question:

Thanks in Advance!

I don't recommend placing one Sierra-2EXv2 horizontally with its mate remaining vertical. This is going to dramatically throw off imaging.

I would either keep them both vertical or convert both to horizontal orientation.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com