Thread: Sierra-LX Review

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

I apologize, but I don't have time to type out a full review with all of the superlatives I have to report. Here's a quick nutshell. Sierra 1 to Sierra LX. Apple Lossless->Denon x3700h->Outlaw 5000x (in 2ch putting out north of 200 watts each.

They're all upgraded and I ran my usual gauntlet against them.

1. Bass FR: 28hz all day every day at volume in my main listening position. Letting them play below that makes the port audible. I'll give them credit, though... I caught them trying to play 15hz. 30hz at volume vibrates my drywall in a 3000ft3 room. They have that much bass.

2. Detail level: I used to say that the Sierras were the quietest speakers I'd ever owned because of how they play only what they're asked to and vanish when not. These are even more so. All events are "smaller" in that there's just no overhang, no distortion. Diction of words and edges of instrument attacks are improved everywhere. Super dense mixes on some of my test tracks were just amazing.

3. Stage width: They're wider than the S1's but honestly... not by much. My room is really width-friendly though.

4. Stage depth: This was one of the more obvious things and the best way to describe it is that there's now more resolution of where things can exist on stage depth. Like on the S1's I had say 8 locations between my ears and the speakers for depth and say about 3 behind the speakers. Now it's like 20 locations between my head on the speakers and 10 behind. The total depth of the stage didn't get bigger, but things are living in more specific spots.

5. Instrument/Object position: Each voice takes up less lateral space and is more precise in its placement. Also immediately noticeable.

I would say that unless you absolutely had to have reference volume below 25 hz, these things could play full range on music all day at 85 db or more. And the best and most succinct compliment I could pay: It made everything, every last track, sound less like a recording. Cliché to say, but I absolutely mean it: worth every penny.

Thank you Alleric for your impressions!

My personal impressions / experience in brief:

The LX are very solidly made and have a very nice finish. A nice and very compact speaker. I like!

Although the frequency response is straight as if drawn with a ruler, the LX sound rather silky and warm, yet very detailed and accurate across the entire frequency range. Bass extension and performance are actually incredible for a speaker of this size. The LX sound so much bigger (in all aspects) than they are, that it brings tears of joy to my eyes :-)

Shipping to Germany went without a hitch. Very friendly communication and service with Dave. Thank you very much!

Even with shipping costs and customs fees to Germany, I give the LX a clear buy recommendation!

PS: I operate the LX on a preamplifier Denon PRA 1500 in combination with two monoblocks Denon POA-4400.

Quote Originally Posted by MO0711 View Post
    Thank you Alleric for your impressions!

My personal impressions / experience in brief:

The LX are very solidly made and have a very nice finish. A nice and very compact speaker. I like!

Although the frequency response is straight as if drawn with a ruler, the LX sound rather silky and warm, yet very detailed and accurate across the entire frequency range. Bass extension and performance are actually incredible for a speaker of this size. The LX sound so much bigger (in all aspects) than they are, that it brings tears of joy to my eyes :-)

Shipping to Germany went without a hitch. Very friendly communication and service with Dave. Thank you very much!

Even with shipping costs and customs fees to Germany, I give the LX a clear buy recommendation!

PS: I operate the LX on a preamplifier Denon PRA 1500 in combination with two monoblocks Denon POA-4400.
    Very happy to hear that the speakers arrived without issue and that you are enjoying them! Thank YOU for putting your confidence in us
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Smile Re: Introducing the Sierra-LX!!!

Where to start.

A little background, I am a proud owner of 2008 Sierra 1s, they have been going strong till today. I have had an opportunity to listen to a decent amount of high end speakers. I would say the top 2 speakers I have listened to have been the Sierra 2s and Elac Vela BS 403's.

Being an 80s kid I always remember blasting my fathers big tower speakers, putting them in my bedroom window so I could hear the music while playing basketball, I drove my amps like I drive my car 0 and 100%, no such thing as to loud. J/K

For the Money the Sierra 1s are pretty tough to beat. They got me into the audiophile arena and I haven't regretted my purchase, ever.

I currently am a proud owner of the Sierra LX's, I have been putting them through the ringer for the past 3 weeks and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon. Where the Sierra 1s would start to break up and lose composure when the volume got a wee bit high the LX's laugh and chest bump. They are capable of throwing a huge sound stage, disappearing in the room and never drawing attention to themselves, oh did i say they like power?

Woofer, the linear travel is real folks, these little things can move, pretty crazy to watch. They do have a limit though so be careful with bass heavy music. I rarely enjoy the Bass from my sub anymore (outlaw LFM-EX). The LX bass is tight and controlled and with some tracks can play very deep.

Tweeter, This one I was a little skeptical of, I have had many sleepless nights due to cheap metal domes ringing the night away. Rest assured Dave said this would not have the negative side affects that come with metal domes, He was right. The Titan can play very loud while staying clean, distortion free and with no ringing, Its incredible. Although it does not have the accuracy and detail of the RAAL or AMT in the Vela its pretty close.

If you are a younger person or are still a kid at heart the LX is for you, do not sleep on this purchase, the LX's is your ticket to the 80's again. Even though they play loud they still sound just as good with low volumes.

Dave, Dina and the workers at Ascend I could not thank you for all your hard work and dedication to producing affordable amazing sounding speakers. Ascend is a company that truly cares about its consumers and great sound, not the money. Their products speak for themselves and that speaks volume to what they are really about. I have not seen quality control or attention to detail like this before.

That's enough finger mumbling, back to the music.

Thank you,
    Tommy D

Quote Originally Posted by tdercole View Post
    Where to start.

A little background, I am a proud owner of 2008 Sierra 1s, they have been going strong till today. I have had an opportunity to listen to a decent amount of high end speakers. I would say the top 2 speakers I have listened to have been the Sierra 2s and Elac Vela BS 403's.

Being an 80s kid I always remember blasting my fathers big tower speakers, putting them in my bedroom window so I could hear the music while playing basketball, I drove my amps like I drive my car 0 and 100%, no such thing as to loud. J/K

For the Money the Sierra 1s are pretty tough to beat. They got me into the audiophile arena and I haven't regretted my purchase, ever.

I currently am a proud owner of the Sierra LX's, I have been putting them through the ringer for the past 3 weeks and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon. Where the Sierra 1s would start to break up and lose composure when the volume got a wee bit high the LX's laugh and chest bump. They are capable of throwing a huge sound stage, disappearing in the room and never drawing attention to themselves, oh did i say they like power?

Woofer, the linear travel is real folks, these little things can move, pretty crazy to watch. They do have a limit though so be careful with bass heavy music. I rarely enjoy the Bass from my sub anymore (outlaw LFM-EX). The LX bass is tight and controlled and with some tracks can play very deep.

Tweeter, This one I was a little skeptical of, I have had many sleepless nights due to cheap metal domes ringing the night away. Rest assured Dave said this would not have the negative side affects that come with metal domes, He was right. The Titan can play very loud while staying clean, distortion free and with no ringing, Its incredible. Although it does not have the accuracy and detail of the RAAL or AMT in the Vela its pretty close.

If you are a younger person or are still a kid at heart the LX is for you, do not sleep on this purchase, the LX's is your ticket to the 80's again. Even though they play loud they still sound just as good with low volumes.

Dave, Dina and the workers at Ascend I could not thank you for all your hard work and dedication to producing affordable amazing sounding speakers. Ascend is a company that truly cares about its consumers and great sound, not the money. Their products speak for themselves and that speaks volume to what they are really about. I have not seen quality control or attention to detail like this before.

That's enough finger mumbling, back to the music.

Thank you,
    Tommy D
    Thank you so much for the wonderful review and for your nice comments about us. Comments like these mean the world to us!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com